What is the best evidence against Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2016, 02:40 PM
RE: What is the best evidence against Christianity
(29-12-2016 02:34 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 02:22 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  The only "evidence" for christianity is the bible.

That's like saying the only evidence for any worldview, are the writings that outline them. Either all of history, all of what it means to be human, aligns with that image of a broken body on the cross, or it doesn't.

Strawman.

What evidence do you have that jesus was a deity or that your god exists, other than the bibles?

(29-12-2016 02:34 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Anti-religious critics of christianity, such as yourself, often form their worldviews absent the questions so close to us, removed from the eyes and life of the viewers, and in turn are always false. They can't take life in, let alone speak about it.

Another of your meaningless generalizations. Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
29-12-2016, 04:04 PM
(29-12-2016 02:40 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What evidence do you have that jesus was a deity or that your god exists, other than the bibles?

His image, words, death, and life, and being haunting the very world we live in, long before anyone ever penned a story about him. And when you become aware of that, you can't escape it, and not from a lack of trying. Only the blind and the deaf don't see it or hear it, and those that have made a life long enterprise of trying to escape into some sort of objective reality, annexed from their very self, are bound to be among the blind and the deaf. It's a sham, but that won't stop you from pursuing this.

You can take everything you've ever expressed about the world, about truth, and pile it all together, and you'll be left with is a pile of irrelevant nonsense, nothing that even remotely matters, while those things that do matter remain untouched.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
29-12-2016, 04:17 PM
(29-12-2016 04:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  His image, words, death, and life, and being haunting the very world we live in, long before anyone ever penned a story about him.

Prove the above statement.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
29-12-2016, 04:29 PM
(29-12-2016 04:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 02:40 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What evidence do you have that jesus was a deity or that your god exists, other than the bibles?

His image, words, death, and life, and being haunting the very world we live in, long before anyone ever penned a story about him. And when you become aware of that, you can't escape it, and not from a lack of trying. Only the blind and the deaf don't see it or hear it, and those that have made a life long enterprise of trying to escape into some sort of objective reality, annexed from their very self, are bound to be among the blind and the deaf. It's a sham, but that won't stop you from pursuing this.

You can take everything you've ever expressed about the world, about truth, and pile it all together, and you'll be left with is a pile of irrelevant nonsense, nothing that even remotely matters, while those things that do matter remain untouched.

And there are other people who will say the same thing about their god.

Some of those people have faith that is so strong that they will kill and die for it. Does that make their faith real?

And I can say that you are simply believing what you want to believe. I could speak about the wonders of science and how everything we learn makes god smaller. I could marvel at the wonders of evolution, at the progress of our species. How we've dragged ourselves slowly and painfully out of the trees. How, in spite of all of our many faults, our species has conquered our world and began moving into space.

No angel gave us penicillin. No demon whispered the secrets of DNA to us. It wasn't god that put mankind on the moon. It was man who built the machines and a woman who programmed the computers.

Faith demands that we look to the past and silence our questions.
Faith scorns evidence and demands that we trust, promising rewards that it never has to deliver.

Faith is a synonym for gullibility.

That is why faith fails.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
29-12-2016, 05:39 PM
(29-12-2016 04:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

You're going in circles again.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-12-2016, 07:55 PM
(29-11-2016 02:29 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I need more then that I need verified evidence it's factually wrong

FacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalm

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
29-12-2016, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2016 09:21 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Wow. His desperation at not making even a dent here is showing. Facepalm

(29-12-2016 04:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Only the blind and the deaf don't see it or hear it, and those that have made a life long enterprise of trying to escape into some sort of objective reality, annexed* from their very self, are bound to be among the blind and the deaf. It's a sham, but that won't stop you from pursuing this.

So. We finally see what you actually think of us. You're not biased. No, not at all.
You are no Christian. "No one shall come to me UNLESS the Father draw him". If it's all so fucking obvious, where does faith come in ?

(You don't actually know the meaning of the word ''annexed". You really should stop trying to fake your intellectual abilities with big words that you don't know the meaning of, you fraud).

What are you doing here ?

Quote:His image, words, death, and life, and being haunting the very world we live in, long before anyone ever penned a story about him. And when you become aware of that, you can't escape it, and not from a lack of trying. Only the blind and the deaf don't see it or hear it, and those that have made a life long enterprise of trying to escape into some sort of objective reality, annexed from their very self, are bound to be among the blind and the deaf. It's a sham, but that won't stop you from pursuing this.

Nice poetic tripe. Not one word of it true. You really have swallowed the Kool Aid. And just where exactly was all that haunting the world before anyone penned a word ... bla bla bla.
Did they teach you that drivel at your "prestigious university" ?

Quote:You can take everything you've ever expressed about the world, about truth, and pile it all together, and you'll be left with is a pile of irrelevant nonsense, nothing that even remotely matters, while those things that do matter remain untouched.

Now that's interesting, Mr. I-don't-need-no-Jesus-to-be-a-Christian. Consider

Quote:Either all of history, all of what it means to be human, aligns with that image of a broken body on the cross, or it doesn't.

It doesn't. At all.Your mythology is but one of many.
Christians have turned the image into something meaningless. The culture they claim it grew out of has (rightfully) rejected it, as it had no part in it. If he existed, he certainly didn't get the job of a messiah done. The idea that an ancient pissed-off deity needed his son to die so he could feel better is actually frightful, and the antithesis of what human culture should value.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-12-2016, 10:44 PM
(29-12-2016 02:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  What generally happens is that when groups like this form, in their plight for power and esteem, and creating the party line, they tend to formulate there own terms and definitions, often times just making them up as they going along. In the topic of history, when many atheists here use the terms evidence, sources, facts, truth, etc... they're not particularly appealing to the way these terms are understand by the historical community, but rather in the way this little enclave of atheists has attempted to dictate the meaning of those terms.

You have your own unique interpretations of the meaning of those terms, almost exclusively belonging to this space and nowhere else. Just like different christians communities have their own unique interpretations of the bible.

You're not going to find these interpretations in a university level history course, they just belong to your folks on this forum, created in the pursuit of acceptance, and conformity.

I'm not looking for 'Interpretations.'.

I would like you to provide 'Evidence'.

Your reply above is just a ramble, not a rebuttal.

No Mr Tomasia, all that you have are words, and the hope that when your dusty tomes are totally perused and finished being read through we're all no longer replying due to catatonia induced apathy, because if we are you'll be receiving objective, verifiable evidence by way of rebuttal before you've even begun to marshal your replies.

If I'm not at work...
Where am I?
Evil_monster
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
30-12-2016, 12:02 AM
(29-12-2016 12:02 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  You continue to be blind to the fact that there are no supporting documents.

No they're all supporting documents, the gospels, the nt writings, the writing of Paul, Josephus, Tacitus, etc....

What your blind to is your own little word game, and you get frustrated when you don't have the power to dictate them as you desire.

Quote:You continue to take its veracity on blind faith.

Is that what historians like Bart Ehrman do, accept historicity on blind faith?

Ehrman is not a historian, he is a religious scholar.
No historian takes the Bible as history - only the religious do so.

Quote:
Quote:And you're an asshole. Drinking Beverage

When in Rome do as the Romans.

No, asshole, you are the one that made this personal when the criticism became too severe for you.
Just stop the personal attacks and stick to the issues.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-12-2016, 12:57 AM
(28-12-2016 04:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 03:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I pointed out that atheists such as yourself don't deal in most likely explanation, hence your lack of one. If that's not the way your personal thought process works, thinking in terms of competing conclusions and explanations, then there's no point in arguing about most likely explanations, because it wouldn't register.

In order to have such a discussion you'd have to have a competing explanation of your own. But thats not how your thinking here works.

I propose the most likely explanation for the empty tomb is that it was a figment of some dorky bastard's imagination. Your move.

ETA: What's your PhD topic?

ETA: Please confirm that you think that the most likely explanation for the allegedly empty tomb is that your personal lord and saviour got teleported to the Starship Enterprise?

ETA: Stop fucking telling me what I think, you can bloody well ask you know. Bloody rude git.

Come on Tommy. Running away is such a bad look for a defender of the faith.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post