What is the best evidence against Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 07:23 AM
RE: What is the best evidence against Christianity
Tomato learned a few new words late last year, in his correspondence course in "How to sound like an educated person", like "annexed" and "straw-man". He's been trying to use them in sentences. He's not really sure yet what they mean.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-01-2017, 07:28 AM
(03-01-2017 06:51 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I never said or implied that either have to. That's your strawman. But the other tendency among you folks is when called out on your strawman you lack the the intellectual honesty to admit it, and prefer to accuse the other party of lying rather than taking accountability for your mistakes.

Curiously, that reads like a canonical example of a straw man. The "but" and personalized pronouns usually gives it away.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-01-2017, 07:30 AM
(03-01-2017 06:51 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 01:39 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  If one of your resolutions for 2017 was to stop lying, then i have bad news for you.
I never said or implied that either have to.

Yeah, exactly, and thats why you said they both do... Laugh out load Laugh out load Laugh out load Laugh out load
Quote:Both the defense, and prosecution offer a variety of evidence in support of their own competing claims, and dispute it

...no wait, did you just deny that the prosecution does have to, too?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
03-01-2017, 07:56 AM
(03-01-2017 07:30 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Yeah, exactly, and thats why you said they both do... Laugh out load Laugh out load Laugh out load Laugh out load
Quote:Both the defense, and prosecution offer a variety of evidence in support of their own competing claims, and dispute it

Again, I never said they have to. As if speaking in absolute terms here. That was your strawman. You're the one that read the "have to into my example". And rather than owning up to your strawman, you prefer to argue otherwise. I made no absolute statements as to what prosecutions and the defenses have to do.

I offered one example of two sides presenting evidence in support of their own competing claims and disputing it. My example had nothing to do with roles and responsibilities of the defense and prosecution, it was merely for the sake of showing an example of two sides offering evidence for competing claims, and disputing it. You're the one that wanted to turn into an argument about something other than what I was arguing. Which is a common tendency among you folks. When you can't actually dispute what was said, you attend to make of your own arguments unrelated to the actual argument being made.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-01-2017, 08:00 AM
(03-01-2017 07:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Tomato learned a few new words late last year, in his correspondence course in "How to sound like an educated person", like "annexed" and "straw-man". He's been trying to use them in sentences. He's not really sure yet what they mean.

When you attempt to give the impression of refuting an argument your opponent made, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by your opponent, you've erecting a straw man.

"A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent.[1]"

Apparently you didn't know that.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Still waiting for your example/presenting of other evidence Tomasia.

No hurry.

Thumbsup
03-01-2017, 11:46 AM
(03-01-2017 11:36 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Still waiting for your example/presenting of other evidence Tomasia.

No hurry.

Thumbsup

I offered a variety of evidence, don't see much of a point in offering additional evidence on top of that. Particularly when a number of people here seem to have trouble acknowledging that the first batch is evidence.

03-01-2017, 11:58 AM
(03-01-2017 11:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 11:36 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Still waiting for your example/presenting of other evidence Tomasia.

No hurry.

Thumbsup

I offered a variety of evidence, don't see much of a point in offering additional evidence on top of that. Particularly when a number of people here seem to have trouble acknowledging that the first batch is evidence.

Sorry, been very busy at work and I've missed a lot of posts back through the thread.

Could you pop a link in please?

Thumbsup
03-01-2017, 12:03 PM
(03-01-2017 11:58 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Sorry, been very busy at work and I've missed a lot of posts back through the thread.

Thumbsup

Nah, already pointed you to the post earlier, not gonna do it a second time.

03-01-2017, 12:52 PM
(03-01-2017 12:03 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 11:58 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Sorry, been very busy at work and I've missed a lot of posts back through the thread.

Thumbsup

Nah, already pointed you to the post earlier, not gonna do it a second time.

Consider

Um, pardon?

The previous reply about 'Previous links' neither provided any actual links... just a post reference... and did not, in fact, add any more evidence... Just a self referential "Look at all the books that have been written."

I am simply asking for ANY other evidence you might have/know about.

Cheers.