What is the best evidence against Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 09:55 PM
RE: What is the best evidence against Christianity
(03-01-2017 08:54 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 08:25 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  This is what you are saying. The bible is true because the bible says that the bible is true. That is the definition of a circular argument.

No that's not what I said at all. That's just your straw man.

It's an accurate distillation of your argument.

The only documents that "verify" the divine aspects of the christian religion are christian in origin.

Outside sources support basic historical information. In other words, cities, people and some events. That's it.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
03-01-2017, 09:58 PM
(03-01-2017 09:40 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Except a variety of other texts. When you have the Gospels writing of Jesus having a brother named James, confirmed by a first hand account of someone who met his brother, than again by a non- Christian historian, writing of James death, confirming his relationship to Jesus. That leaves very little room to argue against the veracity of such a historical detail.

It's not the detail, it's the complete lack of anything else. You've admitted that other than these copies of these texts (There are NO originals) you have nothing. No archeology etc.

(03-01-2017 09:40 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No I pointed to the texts as confirming historicity not divinity. And you and I will have quite a different understanding of what divinity and God mean.

I know you have and keep doing so. That there is nothing else (By your own admission) would be a poor showing by your deity.

As for the understanding and definition of 'God'... surely the deity can provide/do that themselves? Not 'second hand' via the written word and its interpretations?

(03-01-2017 09:40 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Perhaps not for the fantasy being/superman like God atheists seem to be in search for.

But... aren't the very claims within the texts you are referring to making even grander claims than the texts which write about Super-man?

(03-01-2017 09:40 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Far as I'm concerned any God that's cannot be written about, or spoken of, through the messy means of being human, is not a god worth believing, he's just a cheap parlor trick, a spectacle atheists seem far more interested in than believers. Give me a God who reveals himself in a defeated body of a man, in flesh and blood. A God that's relatable, and not a distant and impersonal idea.

But you DON'T have a body, defeated or other-wise. You don't have any flesh (Desiccated, preserved or petrified). No contemporary images, sculptures or moldings of. You don't have any blood, bone or other bodily fluids. No relatives. No descendants. No siblings (Or half-siblings) etc. You've admitted you have nothing but the copies of texts.

But... how then do you then distinguish between all the other texts about all the other deities?

After all Odin has texts and tracts written about him. As does Zues, Osiris etc.

After all... pretty much all of the other deity's actually DO have archeology etc pointing to evidence that they existed.

You are saying that you don't even have a cheap parlor trick, let alone anything else, with which to say anything about your deity.

Consider
[+] 5 users Like Peebothuhul's post
04-01-2017, 01:32 AM
You're useless Tommy, you can't do reasoned argument for shit. All you've got are your bullshit assertions about what atheists are and how we think, which you don't ever ask us, you just assert. Whenever you actually make a claim you seem to think that you can make it and never back it up, just run away endlessly and at some point claim that you answered in a previous post.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post