What is the best evidence against Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 04:57 PM
RE: What is the best evidence against Christianity
(29-11-2016 04:11 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Then why do biblical scholars believe the empty tomb was true

Not all of them do. Some do not even believe christ existed.

If I could ask:

Why do you believe the bible is true?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2016, 04:58 PM
(29-11-2016 04:11 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Then why do biblical scholars believe the empty tomb was true

What most biblical scholars agree on is that believers believe the empty tomb was true but that doesn't make it a factual event. Religious scholars also note that Hindu believers believe Lord Shiva is godly and magical but it doesn't make it true either. The only thing that is true is that people believe in gods. So far none of those gods have proven to exist......... except in their mind.

Here's a small study on the brain and religion.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/health/rel...index.html

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-11-2016, 05:11 PM
(29-11-2016 04:16 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 04:03 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Is there evidence that the tomb of Jesus was empty

You can't simply see one bit of evidence and say "aha! it's all bs!" religion is something that has to be deconstructed with numerous supporting foundations that are undermined to the point that it collapses.

Did you watch those links I gave earlier in the thread? You're not even giving the subject the serious consideration it deserves if you didn't.

Here's an entire series, subscribe to Evid3nc3's channel and watch the whole series:

Are you serious enough to take the time to deconstruct a religious belief?

Will you even watch a few videos?

If not, you are not serious and you're wasting your time and our time.

I started watching them
29-11-2016, 05:12 PM
(29-11-2016 04:57 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  

Not all of them do. Some do not even believe christ existed.

If I could ask:

I guess I never found an argument that was good enough for me
29-11-2016, 05:13 PM
We get a lot of theists on this forum that like to lie. They'll say something like "I'm questioning my beliefs- but...." or they'll say something like "I'm an atheist- but....."

So you're not a liar for Jesus are you? Are you honestly asking questions and want to know the answers? Or are you a passive aggressive "but"?

Are you going to make a bunch of trite apologist assertions in the guise of asking questions or are you actually wanting to consider a different point of view that goes against apologism where you actually learn a thing or two?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
29-11-2016, 05:14 PM
(29-11-2016 05:11 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 04:16 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  You can't simply see one bit of evidence and say "aha! it's all bs!" religion is something that has to be deconstructed with numerous supporting foundations that are undermined to the point that it collapses.

Did you watch those links I gave earlier in the thread? You're not even giving the subject the serious consideration it deserves if you didn't.

Here's an entire series, subscribe to Evid3nc3's channel and watch the whole series:

Are you serious enough to take the time to deconstruct a religious belief?

Will you even watch a few videos?

If not, you are not serious and you're wasting your time and our time.

I started watching them

ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
29-11-2016, 05:16 PM
(29-11-2016 05:12 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 04:57 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Not all of them do. Some do not even believe christ existed.

If I could ask:

No, he's asking what arguments and evidence for the Bible cause you to believe it? Or did you grow up in a culture that has a majority of people who believe it?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
29-11-2016, 05:25 PM
(29-11-2016 05:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:12 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I guess I never found an argument that was good enough for me

No, he's asking what arguments and evidence for the Bible cause you to believe it? Or did you grow up in a culture that has a majority of people who believe it?

Mostly the resurrection of Jesus I just can't seem to find any good evidence it wasn't true, I mean even Bart Ehrman agrees that people had visions of Christ after his death
29-11-2016, 05:26 PM
(29-11-2016 05:12 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 04:57 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Why do you believe the bible is true?

I like Joseph Campbell's attitude: "Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble."

He was big on metaphors. Big Grin

"God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that."

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-11-2016, 05:27 PM
(29-11-2016 05:25 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No, he's asking what arguments and evidence for the Bible cause you to believe it? Or did you grow up in a culture that has a majority of people who believe it?

Mostly the resurrection of Jesus I just can't seem to find any good evidence it wasn't true, I mean even Bart Ehrman agrees that people had visions of Christ after his death

No, you're still dodging the question. What evidence suggests anything in the Bible is true? Including the resurrection or anything else central to the Bible's claims as they relate to the truth of Christianity and its god claims.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick