What is the best evidence against Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2016 05:34 PM by Loom.)
RE: What is the best evidence against Christianity
(29-11-2016 05:25 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No, he's asking what arguments and evidence for the Bible cause you to believe it? Or did you grow up in a culture that has a majority of people who believe it?

Mostly the resurrection of Jesus I just can't seem to find any good evidence it wasn't true, I mean even Bart Ehrman agrees that people had visions of Christ after his death

I think you're approaching this the wrong way.

Do tell, what evidence has convinced you the resurrection happened. Is it verifiable? Is it falsifiable?

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
29-11-2016, 05:34 PM
(29-11-2016 05:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:25 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Mostly the resurrection of Jesus I just can't seem to find any good evidence it wasn't true, I mean even Bart Ehrman agrees that people had visions of Christ after his death

No, you're still dodging the question. What evidence suggests anything in the Bible is true? Including the resurrection or anything else central to the Bible's claims as they relate to the truth of Christianity and its god claims.

Well there's this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_tomb#Historicity
29-11-2016, 05:37 PM
(29-11-2016 05:25 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Mostly the resurrection of Jesus I just can't seem to find any good evidence it wasn't true...

(Springy G takes a couple of practice swings with Her Clue-By-Four™)

Uh -- How about the most obvious reason, namely the fact that people generally do not come back from the dead?

Bible lost Me forever at Genesis 3 when the Talking Snake™ showed up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
29-11-2016, 05:38 PM
(29-11-2016 04:11 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Then why do biblical scholars believe the empty tomb was true

I'm thinking you may be granting false authority to the people you call "biblical scholars". That's like saying that "Alice's Adventure in Wonderland" was more than favourably reviewed by a well-respected book reviewer who also had an extensive knowledge of white rabbits, mock turtles, extinct birds, and the human sleep phase.

An accurate critique and representation of a book—even by an acknowledged expert reviewer—is neither here nor these as far as the ultimate veracity of its content goes.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
29-11-2016, 05:39 PM
(29-11-2016 05:34 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No, you're still dodging the question. What evidence suggests anything in the Bible is true? Including the resurrection or anything else central to the Bible's claims as they relate to the truth of Christianity and its god claims.

So, a story without any corroborating evidence is sufficient for you not only to believe something is true, but that belief is considered important enough for your whole life to revolve around?

Do you approach other beliefs this way too? For instance, if you can find no evidence against the Loch Ness monster existing, do you assume it (or any other mythical animal) is real? Do you assume that people who say they're abducted by aliens were actually abuducted because you've no evidence they weren't and they told the story so...it must be true? Consider

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
29-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Did you read the link
29-11-2016, 05:40 PM
(29-11-2016 05:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No, you're still dodging the question. What evidence suggests anything in the Bible is true? Including the resurrection or anything else central to the Bible's claims as they relate to the truth of Christianity and its god claims.

Or to put it another way, it's hard to consider an "empty tomb" evidence Jesus was real and possessed supernatural abilities when there isn't any evidence he was actually real. It seems like all you do is work backwards. Aka: confirmation bias. Have you ever considered that?

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
29-11-2016, 05:41 PM

William Lane Craig has been defacing Wikipedia again.

That's basically a pamphlet from Novartis that says, "Eat more Ritalin!"

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-11-2016, 05:41 PM
(29-11-2016 05:40 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Did you read the link

I've seen WLC's bs before and looked into the Jesus myth while I was struggling with my faith too Drinking Beverage

-Rick
29-11-2016, 05:43 PM
(29-11-2016 05:40 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:34 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Well there's this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_tomb#Historicity

Or to put it another way, it's hard to consider an "empty tomb" evidence Jesus was real and possessed supernatural abilities when there isn't any evidence he was actually real. It seems like all you do is work backwards. Aka: confirmation bias. Have you ever considered that?

Pretty much everyone believer or atheist agrees Jesus existed it's the stories about him that are in debate