What is the best evidence against Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 05:44 PM
RE: What is the best evidence against Christianity
(29-11-2016 05:40 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Did you read the link

Do you believe Paul is a reliable source? If so, why? After all, he didn't meet Jesus or know Jesus. He claims to have met and talked with his brother, James. But would that suffice for evidence for you today for a more mundane claim? What if I told you that I was closely related to Peter Parker (Spider-Man), would that suffice as evidence that he is real?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
29-11-2016, 05:45 PM
(29-11-2016 05:43 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:40 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Or to put it another way, it's hard to consider an "empty tomb" evidence Jesus was real and possessed supernatural abilities when there isn't any evidence he was actually real. It seems like all you do is work backwards. Aka: confirmation bias. Have you ever considered that?

Pretty much everyone believer or atheist agrees Jesus existed it's the stories about him that are in debate

No, not everyone agrees with that (an attempt an appeal to consensus too). For instance, I don't agree that Jesus existed. I think he's entirely myth.

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
29-11-2016, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2016 05:58 PM by Loom.)

I have.

It does not present any evidence for its case, just a lot of nice little details, snippets from scripture, and people professing that it is true (namely William Lane Craig).

No archeological evidence (not even a valid tomb location). No contemporary evidence, not even of the period of darkness or zombies roaming the streets, never mind all the literate people who could have written it down.

And my point still stands, an empty tomb does not a resurrection make.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 5 users Like Loom's post
29-11-2016, 05:50 PM
(29-11-2016 05:25 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No, he's asking what arguments and evidence for the Bible cause you to believe it? Or did you grow up in a culture that has a majority of people who believe it?

Mostly the resurrection of Jesus I just can't seem to find any good evidence it wasn't true, I mean even Bart Ehrman agrees that people had visions of Christ after his death

Remember how the skies went dark, the Earth shook, and the dead rose fro their graves?

The Romans, the most superstitious people in history didn't even mark it down as a footnote. These are the people who, two millenia later, have managed to immortalize the Ides of March courtesy of some wizzened crone who just happened to peg the right day with a very warm reading. Absence is evidence when the silence is deafening.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-11-2016, 05:55 PM
(29-11-2016 05:44 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

Do you believe Paul is a reliable source? If so, why? After all, he didn't meet Jesus or know Jesus. He claims to have met and talked with his brother, James. But would that suffice for evidence for you today for a more mundane claim? What if I told you that I was closely related to Peter Parker (Spider-Man), would that suffice as evidence that he is real?

Is there any reason to think he's not a reliable source, and besides it's that pre-mark thing that scares me
29-11-2016, 05:55 PM
OK Ask, let's do a quick litmus test here. I'm going to guess that Jesus Christ is important to your life. Yes?

Pop Quiz:

- When was he born? Day and year please.

- Date of death?

- Correct name?

No using external sources. This is about what you know, not what Wikipedia can tell you.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
29-11-2016, 05:57 PM
(29-11-2016 05:55 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  OK Ask, let's do a quick litmus test here. I'm going to guess that Jesus Christ is important to your life. Yes?

Pop Quiz:

- Date of death?

- Correct name?

No using external sources. This is about what you know, not what Wikipedia can tell you.

Yes he's important but I don't worship him I see him as a threat
29-11-2016, 05:57 PM
(29-11-2016 05:55 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:44 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Do you believe Paul is a reliable source? If so, why? After all, he didn't meet Jesus or know Jesus. He claims to have met and talked with his brother, James. But would that suffice for evidence for you today for a more mundane claim? What if I told you that I was closely related to Peter Parker (Spider-Man), would that suffice as evidence that he is real?

Is there any reason to think he's not a reliable source, and besides it's that pre-mark thing that scares me

He hijacked Christianity and turned it into a religion of the very same Roman oppressors that Jesus fought against and was crucified by. You won't find a much more impresive aggenda than Saul of Tarsus'.

---
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-11-2016, 05:59 PM
(29-11-2016 05:55 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:44 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Do you believe Paul is a reliable source? If so, why? After all, he didn't meet Jesus or know Jesus. He claims to have met and talked with his brother, James. But would that suffice for evidence for you today for a more mundane claim? What if I told you that I was closely related to Peter Parker (Spider-Man), would that suffice as evidence that he is real?

He never met Jesus and takes it on faith that the person he met was Jesus' brother when there is no corroborating evidence that he was or that Jesus was real. On top of that, Paul writes of his Damascus road experience, which would appear to be a hallucination based on what he says. So, he is potentially delusional and gullible and has no corroborating evidence. Yeah, there are a couple of reasons Tom consider him unreliable.

The chief one in there is that paucity of evidence corroborating his claims. Once again, would a similar modern day version suffice to convince you of:
Alien abductions
Big foot
The Loch Ness monster
Spider-Man
Joseph Smith finding the golden plates in New York

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
29-11-2016, 06:00 PM
(29-11-2016 05:57 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 05:55 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  OK Ask, let's do a quick litmus test here. I'm going to guess that Jesus Christ is important to your life. Yes?

Pop Quiz:

- Date of death?

- Correct name?

Yes he's important but I don't worship him I see him as a threat

You see who as a threat?

-Rick