What is the definition of God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2016, 11:05 AM
RE: What is the definition of God?
Yes? No.

religion is a la carte these days, or decades, or centuries. Do try to keep up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Impulse quote:

Do you have any idea how immature and stupid you sound? I'll tell you one thing, as long as you continue this rude arrogance, I will have a hell of lot more respect for any religion (as much as it pains me to say that) than I will ever have for you. Do you honestly think you are convincing anyone to listen to you? You're just a bully and you can fuck right off anytime.

Impulse,

I am truly sorry that you're having a hard time with biblical fact, whereas I can understand your frustration. Most ignorant people like you of this fact usually shout out in vain like you've done. I can understand that Aliza is a friend to many on this forum, but her primitive beliefs will be shown by me to the fullest extent. If you have to insidiously resort in having more respect for religion for any reason, then that is up to you at the expense of your ever so wanting mental state.

YOUR QUOTE" "Do you honestly think you are convincing anyone to listen to you? "

RESPONSE: Uh, you just did.

YOUR QUOTE: "You're just a bully and you can fuck right off anytime."

RESPONSE: Is this the type of "school yard" language that the alumni of this forum usually listens too?
18-10-2016, 11:14 AM
(18-10-2016 10:10 AM)21stCenturyIconoclast Wrote:  Jennybee quote:

Niiice. Well, then maybe you should find a forum with no theists to bother you because we all respect Aliza *and* her beliefs here.

I get that you hate religion (and I don't care for it either) but you can still have respect for other people until they give you a good reason not to.

This is a really nice place to come to online. And we do actually get some theists and others who deserve to be pounced on, but Aliza isn't one of them. It's too bad you are starting off on such a crappy foot because you might actually like it here if you gave this place and *all *of us a chance.

Jennybee,

I had to read your post five times to make sure you said what you said!

Yes, I am sure Aliza is a wonderful person, and would be your friend, and you can respect that, BUT, I couldn’t believe my eyes when you stated that you respect her Jewish faith and her god named Yahweh!!! How can this logically be true?!

One can respect Aliza as being a friend, but in no way can an Atheist respect her primitive faith, period! If you take the stance of respecting her religion, then you acknowledge the following biblical examples as being okay! Sorry, you don’t get to have your cake and eat it too.

Kill People Who Don't Listen to Priests (Deuteronomy 17:12)

Kill Witches (Exodus 22:17)

Kill Homosexuals (Leviticus 20:13)

Kill Fortunetellers (Leviticus 20:27)

Death for Hitting Dad (Exodus 21:15)

Death for Cursing Parents (Leviticus 20:9)

Death for Adultery (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

Death for Fornication (Leviticus 21:9)

Death to Followers of Other Religions (Exodus 22:19)

Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night (Deuteronomy  (22:20-21)

Kill Followers of Other Religions (Deuteronomy (13:7-12)

Death for Blasphemy (Leviticus 24:10-16)

Kill People for Working on the Sabbath (Exodus 31:12-15)

God Will Kill the Children of Sinners (Leviticus 26:21-22)

God orders killing women (Numbers 31:17)

Furthermore, when you respect her religion, you accept that it was okay for Aliza’s Yahweh god to kill millions of innocents, including children, zygotes, and fetus,’ let alone innocent animals, by horrifically drowning them in the Great Flood!

Well Jennybee, this is nice to let everyone know that you condone such killings of innocents, way to go!

How sad. Sad

I have read the Bible and do *not* agree with it. I reread my post after Chas' comment and I saw how it came across. What I should have said (as I stated in a post to Chas) is that I respect Aliza as a person *and* respect her right to believe as she wishes.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-10-2016, 11:20 AM
(18-10-2016 10:59 AM)21stCenturyIconoclast Wrote:  For your future enlightenment, any Jewish person following the faith from the Torah, Tanakh, and other Jewish religious writings, has to call their god of the Bronze Age "Yahweh." Get it?

For your present enlightenment, "Yahweh" is what non-Jews call the Jewish God. That name as such is never spelled out in the Jewish scriptures, nor is it ever uttered by any religious Jew. There is a reason why she uses "G_d" instead of "God".

Quote:It is so funny to read such ignorance like when you stated that Aliza probably doesn't accept "all that stuff," when in fact that she has to believe it because who is she to have the authority over her inspired word of Yahweh's doctrine? H-E-L-L-O? Thats like saying you are only going to follow "some of the DMV laws" within your state. You're too funny!

Modern Jews are not required to accept every word of the Bible as literal fact, and they have writings (the Talmud) many times larger than the Bible interpreting and explaining it. Aliza could explain this to you much better than I can (I'm not a Jew), but why should she even bother to communicate with such a dick as you?

Oh, by the way -- go fuck yourself with a cactus. You're not funny at all. You're just a dick.
18-10-2016, 11:34 AM
(18-10-2016 11:12 AM)21stCenturyIconoclast Wrote:  I am truly sorry that you're having a hard time with biblical fact, whereas I can understand your frustration. Most ignorant people like you of this fact usually shout out in vain like you've done. I can understand that Aliza is a friend to many on this forum, but her primitive beliefs will be shown by me to the fullest extent. If you have to insidiously resort in having more respect for religion for any reason, then that is up to you at the expense of your ever so wanting mental state.
Where did I mention one thing about the bible? I didn't, and yet you think I'm having a problem with biblical fact. So you really are stupid.

(18-10-2016 11:12 AM)21stCenturyIconoclast Wrote:  YOUR QUOTE" "Do you honestly think you are convincing anyone to listen to you? "

RESPONSE: Uh, you just did.
No I didn't. Do you even know what "listen" means? Again, proof of stupid.

(18-10-2016 11:12 AM)21stCenturyIconoclast Wrote:  YOUR QUOTE: "You're just a bully and you can fuck right off anytime."

RESPONSE: Is this the type of "school yard" language that the alumni of this forum usually listens too?
a. Pot/Kettle. Drinking Beverage
b. Only the lowest get that language from me.

Why are you here? Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
18-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Jennybee quote:

I have read the Bible and do *not* agree with it. I reread my post after Chas' comment and I saw how it came across. What I should have said (as I stated in a post to Chas) is that I respect Aliza as a person *and* respect her right to believe as she wishes.

Jennybee,

Listen, as I have said ad infinitum before, I am sure Aliza is a great person and a friend to many upon this forum, separate from her primitive beliefs as shown. Okay?

That being said, you're still digging your hole deeper in that if you follow your revised statement of; "I respect Aliza as a person *and* respect her right to believe as she wishes” you’re stating that as an Atheist, you respect her for accepting her serial killing god’s disgusting doctrine of ordering her to kill? Is that truly mentally sound for you to do so? NOT!

“Pat Sajak, Jennybee may want to buy a vowel for another revised statement.” Jennybee, Don Pardo has some parting gifts for you if you don’t. Smile
18-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Also, you (21stCenturyIconoclast dick) seem to be confused about the nomenclature of the Jewish scriptures (meaning you aren't very familiar with them). The Torah and the Tanakh are not two completely separate independent things. The Tanakh is the entire Jewish Bible (the rough equivalent of the Christian Old Testament). The Torah is part of that. The extensive commentary (which is separate) is the Talmud.

And you don't have a clue what Aliza's beliefs are or how "primitive" they are. You are coming across as a whole lot more primitive than she ever has.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
18-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Why are you here? Consider
I keep waiting for that gotcha.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
18-10-2016, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2016 11:47 AM by Commonsensei.)
(15-10-2016 03:08 PM)21stCenturyIconoclast Wrote:  I am usually banned from such web sites as this one because I can't help in taking a “take no prisoner” stance when confronting the aforementioned doctrine of said beliefs listed above, therefore, lets see how long I last on “The Thinking Atheist” forum!

You know that old expression. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."?

You're obviously aware that your approach, has negative effects on you. Perhaps this approach needs to be rained back.

At times aggression can leave lasting impressions. But it's doesn't change minds. Many of the stereotypes that are affiliated with atheism steam from this type of approach.

If you truly wanted to show people errors of there ways. You need to remember to one factor that we all share. We are all human. Religious thinking is a virus. I can't be angry at a person that is infected. I also can't blame an individual for the folly's of man. I've have ancestors that owned slaves. I would never do, nor have I ever owned another person. Stalin committed atrocities against man kind. Since he was an Atheist, do we have to take the blame for his actions? NO. Because his actions speak nothing of mine, or yours. (I hope)

Since you've obviously has a lot of anger towards any opposing view. I wonder how did you step out of your belief? Did someone cause you harm that has made lash out? Did an atheist
approach you in the same way, that shook you? Or where you never raised in a belief system and don't know what it dose to ones mind?

I get a strong feeling of Fundamentalism, or Evangelicalism. Possibly a former Southern Baptist or Jehovah Witness?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
18-10-2016, 11:43 AM
(18-10-2016 10:59 AM)21stCenturyIconoclast Wrote:  Grasshopper wrote:

1. She doesn't call her God Yahweh.

2. I'll bet she doesn't accept all that stuff in your list.

3. If you weren't being such a dick, she might be willing to explain to you what she does believe and what being a Jew means for her. However, since you are being a dick, there's not much chance of that. So just continue making up what you think she believes and accepts, I guess.

Grasshopper,

Uh, what did you just promote? Are you serious? Really?

For your future enlightenment, any Jewish person following the faith from the Torah, Tanakh, and other Jewish religious writings, has to call their god of the Bronze Age "Yahweh." Get it?

It is so funny to read such ignorance like when you stated that Aliza probably doesn't accept "all that stuff," when in fact that she has to believe it because who is she to have the authority over her inspired word of Yahweh's doctrine? H-E-L-L-O? Thats like saying you are only going to follow "some of the DMV laws" within your state. You're too funny!

Here's another comical notion by you, "If you weren't being such a dick, she might be willing to explain to you what she does believe and what being a Jew means for her." No grasshopper, I would be explaining her primitive faith to her and how she is a blatant hypocrite if she doesn't follow said faith to the letter!

I don't make up what she believes, her primitive Bronze Age god's direct writings does that for her, get it? Yes?

Whew.

I don't think you need psychological help--maybe a little anger management Wink

I get that you are angry at religion and at those who still believe. I left religion because I hated the "morals" and misogyny of the Christian church and after reading the Bible, I did not believe the biblical God was deserving of worship. I also researched a multitude of things on my own and discovered that I had been lied to by my church as religion is basically a grouping of cultural stories and not religious truths.

All that said, there are those who still believe. But getting angry at them and bullying them into atheism is not a helpful tactic. Talking to them and expressing your viewpoints *calmly* will help them better see what it is you are trying to say. It's hard to want to read your posts and digest what you are saying when they are filled with vitriol.

I also think it is very unfair of you to say Aliza believes xyz without even bothering to get to know her. While I can't speak for Aliza's views on the Bible, I can tell you one of my friends who is Jewish, does not view the Jewish writings as god-breathed. She views them as the cultural writings of her ancestry. Period. But in that, she finds spirituality (not for the gruesome acts of the time, which pretty much everyone during that time period was committing, btw) but because it is a piece of her culture and her history.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post