What is the definition of God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2016, 11:56 AM
RE: What is the definition of God?
(07-10-2016 07:47 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(06-10-2016 04:23 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  My parents created me and your parents created you. Do you consider them gods?

Your parents did not create you and my parents did not create me. Our parents simply made use of the reproductive system God built into the human race when he created it.

Quote:If an alien race came down and showed that it was stronger, smarter, and more advanced then you. Would that make you want to be their pet?

Of course not. If such a race exists it is part of God's creation and is not the Creator.

Quote:Here's a thread I created with other creation stories. About how the world/universe came into being. Are any of these other gods that you were raised to believe were true immediately ignored by you as simply being faire tails. If so what method do you use to rule out those gods.

All I have claimed so far is that we live in a universe which would not have existed unless it was created. In order to learn what God is like we must first accept the truth that he is our creator.

Quote:Wouldn't it be less complex? Wouldn't a creator of all knowledge and power be able to come up with the simplest way to make things?

How do you know the way he created isn't the simplest way possible?

Quote:And this just brings up that same old question i'm sure you've heard before. What created the creator? If you can think of a being that simple came out of nothing or always was. Why when this idea applied to the universe is it unsound?

The fact that the universe is wearing out shows it couldn't be eternal but must have had a beginning. God is eternal and had no beginning.

Quote:Obviously this isn't true. Because if that was the case you would have us all stupefied with your astounding intellect. Instead your ideas are easily dismantled. And you yourself had said How does inability to explain something logically prove it doesn't exist? It may show that the person trying to explain it lacks the knowledge or intelligence to explain it, but something's existence or non existence is independent of the success of our efforts to prove it exists. You acknowledge you didn't have the answers. You've submitted to him and yet lack knowledge.

Obviously my knowledge of God is limited. If I knew everything about him I would be his equal. We can know only what he chooses to reveal about himself. One thing he has revealed is that he exists and he has created us. That is only the first part of his revelation and he has revealed it to everyone in the world. Your response shows you are unwilling to accept this revelation.

[Image: 45b10a8986d571677b9261a3f97f72fe80c6d91f...bb096f.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
07-10-2016, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2016 01:58 PM by Reltzik.)
(05-10-2016 10:56 PM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  Here's one to get theists thinking: define "God". As distinct from all other gods.
Watch them at first jump in with all the boring superlatives, then make some rules;

Don't describe its supposed qualities like "the creator of the universe", "love", "all powerful", "the light of my life" etc. Define what your god is, or what any god is for that matter. A spirit is not an answer either, that just leads to "what's a spirit?"

If you can't give a logical definition, it logically can't exist. Atheists are welcome to suggestions as well, with the same criteria.

Based on common usage across multiple cultures as applied to pretty much everything seriously labeled by its believers as a god, a god can be described as a being with the following properties:

1. A singular identity (or in case of convoluted theology, a gestalt of identities) that is distinct from other things in the universe.
  2. A sapient mind, possessing a sense of self versus others, along with desires, planning ability, memories, decision-making capacity, and a thought process.
  3. Some degree of awareness of the rest of reality.
  4. Some ability to control the rest of reality above and beyond any ability that humans can match (or, rather, humans were thought to be unable to match at the time people first thought of them).
  5. A degree of immortality, in that it does not die of old age nor common diseases nor typical injuries.

Specific deities might be thought to have further properties, such as control over the weather like Zeus, physical bodies with shape-shifting ability like Loki, creator of the universe like Ptah, and so on. But the above is pretty much what is required to count as a god.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
07-10-2016, 03:50 PM
(07-10-2016 07:47 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Your parents did not create you and my parents did not create me. Our parents simply made use of the reproductive system God built into the human race when he created it.

He did not build any reproductive system into anything. The primate reproductive system EVOLVED. If he "built it", he did one hell of a piss poor job. More than 1/2 of pregnancies are spontaneously aborted.

You really are hopelessly and willfully ignorant.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-10-2016, 04:22 PM
(07-10-2016 03:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-10-2016 07:47 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Your parents did not create you and my parents did not create me. Our parents simply made use of the reproductive system God built into the human race when he created it.

He did not build any reproductive system into anything. The primate reproductive system EVOLVED. If he "built it", he did one hell of a piss poor job. More than 1/2 of pregnancies are spontaneously aborted.

How dare you Angry My ancestors were made from clay Laugh out load

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
07-10-2016, 04:31 PM
(06-10-2016 08:59 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 10:56 PM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  If you can't give a logical definition, it logically can't exist.

How does inability to explain something logically prove it doesn't exist? It may show that the person trying to explain it lacks the knowledge or intelligence to explain it, but something's existence or non existence is independent of the success of our efforts to prove it exists.

Logic is a tool that non-omniscient beings can use to learn more. All logic is dependent on first accepting certain axioms that we already know to be true and making inferences from them to obtain more truth. God doesn't need logic because he is omniscient.

I define God as the one who created us and by reason of his creation is our owner and has an absolute right to our obedience. He has provided proof of his existence through his creation and if we are willing to accept this evidence we can use it as a basis for logically learning more about him. Life is too complex to have come into existence apart from the intervention of an intelligent creator. Those who acknowledge God's existence and are willing to submit to him will receive more knowledge.

Coming from this sect of Christianity myself--I can understand how you developed your beliefs. I had similar thinking for a very long time due to my religious upbringing. It really is okay to look behind the curtain. I think this video is a very good one that showcases how "creation" is not perfect--and in fact, there are many flaws. And due to such flaws, creation is not evidence of an intelligent designer and instead, showcases the opposite.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Re: OP--My definition would be:

Gods are the personal team mascot(s) for a culture's religious/cultural beliefs. They often have superhero-like qualities or qualities of animals that they like and admire. A god can provide warm and fuzzy feelings when dealing with the current unknown. Since we don't like the feeling of being out of control, a god provides a sense of control, albeit imaginary.

07-10-2016, 06:09 PM
The traditional definition would be an eternal and infinite entity that has the capacity to create a Universe, and there are no other entities which can supersede its authority. That's the best one I can come up with, anyway.

07-10-2016, 06:21 PM
(07-10-2016 03:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

After witnessing my daughter's birth I can confirm, without a doubt, that there is no god.

It was like a chamber of goddamn horrors in there. Looked like Leatherface had a field day.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
07-10-2016, 06:28 PM
(06-10-2016 08:59 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 10:56 PM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  If you can't give a logical definition, it logically can't exist.

How does inability to explain something logically prove it doesn't exist? It may show that the person trying to explain it lacks the knowledge or intelligence to explain it, but something's existence or non existence is independent of the success of our efforts to prove it exists.

Logic is a tool that non-omniscient beings can use to learn more. All logic is dependent on first accepting certain axioms that we already know to be true and making inferences from them to obtain more truth. God doesn't need logic because he is omniscient.

I define God as the one who created us and by reason of his creation is our owner and has an absolute right to our obedience. He has provided proof of his existence through his creation and if we are willing to accept this evidence we can use it as a basis for logically learning more about him. intelligent creator Life is too complex to have come into existence apart from the intervention of an in. Those who acknowledge God's existence and are willing to submit to him will receive more knowledge.

I remember learning about what was then called a logic chain. Let me follow your logic chain and continue it one more link. If life is too complicated to need a creator then who was around to be complicated enuff to have created the creator? Logic!
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
08-10-2016, 05:45 PM
(07-10-2016 01:53 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Based on common usage across multiple cultures as applied to pretty much everything seriously labeled by its believers as a god, a god can be described as a being with the following properties:

1. A singular identity (or in case of convoluted theology, a gestalt of identities) that is distinct from other things in the universe.
  2. A sapient mind, possessing a sense of self versus others, along with desires, planning ability, memories, decision-making capacity, and a thought process.
  3. Some degree of awareness of the rest of reality.
  4. Some ability to control the rest of reality above and beyond any ability that humans can match (or, rather, humans were thought to be unable to match at the time people first thought of them).
  5. A degree of immortality, in that it does not die of old age nor common diseases nor typical injuries.

Specific deities might be thought to have further properties, such as control over the weather like Zeus, physical bodies with shape-shifting ability like Loki, creator of the universe like Ptah, and so on. But the above is pretty much what is required to count as a god.
Good answer, but you are telling me about qualities of a god. I could tell you that a tree is a wonderful converter of air that animals can live in, but it won't help you find one for me. Spell out what it is, not what it does in other words. For example;
A tree is;

a woody perennial plant, typically having a single stem or trunk growing to a considerable height and bearing lateral branches at some distance from the ground.