What is the definition of God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2016, 05:52 PM
RE: What is the definition of God?
(07-10-2016 04:45 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Re: OP--My definition would be:

Gods are the personal team mascot(s) for a culture's religious/cultural beliefs. They often have superhero-like qualities or qualities of animals that they like and admire. A god can provide warm and fuzzy feelings when dealing with the current unknown. Since we don't like the feeling of being out of control, a god provides a sense of control, albeit imaginary.
I wasn't after a job description, lol! Or what a god provides. What IS a god? Please don't say a spirit or a non-corporal being as they don't describe anything either.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2016, 06:00 PM
(07-10-2016 06:09 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  The traditional definition would be an eternal and infinite entity that has the capacity to create a Universe, and there are no other entities which can supersede its authority. That's the best one I can come up with, anyway.
Sure, but what exactly is "an eternal and infinite entity"? It's a tough question, isn't it?
How about a silent, invisible entity that is undetectable to science and does not interact with anything else? Pretty close to nothing eh? The answer is that it's impossible to define something that has infinite properties, because as soon as you do, you place boundaries on it.
08-10-2016, 10:18 PM
(08-10-2016 05:45 PM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  
(07-10-2016 01:53 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Based on common usage across multiple cultures as applied to pretty much everything seriously labeled by its believers as a god, a god can be described as a being with the following properties:

1. A singular identity (or in case of convoluted theology, a gestalt of identities) that is distinct from other things in the universe.
  2. A sapient mind, possessing a sense of self versus others, along with desires, planning ability, memories, decision-making capacity, and a thought process.
  3. Some degree of awareness of the rest of reality.
  4. Some ability to control the rest of reality above and beyond any ability that humans can match (or, rather, humans were thought to be unable to match at the time people first thought of them).
  5. A degree of immortality, in that it does not die of old age nor common diseases nor typical injuries.

Specific deities might be thought to have further properties, such as control over the weather like Zeus, physical bodies with shape-shifting ability like Loki, creator of the universe like Ptah, and so on. But the above is pretty much what is required to count as a god.
Good answer, but you are telling me about qualities of a god. I could tell you that a tree is a wonderful converter of air that animals can live in, but it won't help you find one for me. Spell out what it is, not what it does in other words. For example;
A tree is;

a woody perennial plant, typically having a single stem or trunk growing to a considerable height and bearing lateral branches at some distance from the ground.

All of those things you just described (wooden, single stem or trunk, etc) are qualities as well.

Some things have definitions in terms of their material qualities like trees or lions.

Others, like calculators or motors, have definitions in terms of what they do or are capable of... again, a qualitative description. Particular instances of these things might have material properties, but these are not necessary for them to fall in their classes. A calculator is a calculator whether it is an electronic calculator made of plastic and silicon, an archaic hand-cranked calculator made of wood and metal, or a virtual calculator which can be run on a wide variety of physical objects yet is technically none of them. The definition of a calculator is in what it can do, not in what it is, though knowing what it is might tell us what it can do.

Still other things, like fulcrums or foundations, are not defined in their own right at all, but rather are defined by how they are related to or interact with other things.

The material properties of a god are irrelevant to whether it counts as a god. Make it out of stone, wood, air, the color indigo, an ongoing atmoic inferno 1.3 million times the size of Earth, pure Deepoc-ian energy, or leave it completely abstract and non-material, and if it meets the provided definition it is still a god.
15-10-2016, 12:20 PM
What is severely missing when the theist tries in vain to describe the qualities of their “personal” god concept, or define him or her, is the god’s actual name. In naming the god in question always helps to show that the theists thinking remains in the primitive Bronze and Iron Age as we enter the 21st century.

Lets take the god concept of the pseudo-christian faction, no matter what division of the faith they've chosen, who’s god is Hebrew and is named Yahweh. In definition, the pseudo-christian has to accept that their primitive god concept can walk, as he did around the Garden of Eden. (Genesis 3:8) We know Yahweh has a face, as proffered by Yahweh himself on Mt. Sinai. (Exodus 33:20) We also know that Yahweh had an ass because he showed it to Moses as he passed by him on Mt Sinai. (Exodus 33;23) Just these three propositions helps "define" the pseudo-christian god as looking to have human attributes.

There’re many other despicable aspects of the pseudo-christian’s god as defined within the primitive and barbaric scriptures, but most of all, the number one aspect in defining the Christian god Yahweh, is that he was a SERIAL KILLER of biblical proportions towards the innocents of his Hebrew creation! When the pseudo-christian worships a god concept of this description and definition, it says volumes in that they’re psychotic by swallowing the Kool Aid of the Christian faith.

Pseudo-christians, bring forth your assumed and best insidious apologetics that you were ineptly spoon fed, and make a pot of coffee, and lets engage upon your primitive belief in your Bronze and Iron Age Yahweh god. If doing so, first off, check your calendars, it is the year of 2016, which is way past the thinking and acceptances of the primitive Bronze and Iron Age god concepts.
15-10-2016, 04:06 PM
(05-10-2016 10:56 PM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  Here's one to get theists thinking: define "God". As distinct from all other gods.
Watch them at first jump in with all the boring superlatives, then make some rules;

Don't describe its supposed qualities like "the creator of the universe", "love", "all powerful", "the light of my life" etc. Define what your god is, or what any god is for that matter. A spirit is not an answer either, that just leads to "what's a spirit?"

If you can't give a logical definition, it logically can't exist. Atheists are welcome to suggestions as well, with the same criteria.

Hello, and welcome to TTA. I'm a resident theist here on the forum, and I'd like to answer your question with a question(s). Why do you feel that I should justify my belief in a god to you? Is it my job to impress you or convince you?
15-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Aliza,

Until Firefigihter01 responds to your non-answer by posing a question instead, you forgot to tell us which god concept you're referring too. To save time for Firefighter01, can you pick which god you follow from the list shown below so as to pinpoint the discussion?

Azura Mazda, Angus, Belenos, Brigid, Dana, Lugh, Dagda, Epona, Allah Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, Artemis, Atehna, Demeter, Dionysus, Eris, Eos, Gaia, Hades, Hekate, Helios, Hephaestus, Hera, Hermes, Hestia, Pan, Poseidon, Selene, Uranus, Zeus, Mathilde, Elves, Eostre, Frigg, Ganesh, Hretha, Saxnot, Shef, Shiva Thuno, Tir, Vishnu, Weyland, Woden, Yahweh, Alfar, Balder, Beyla, Bil, Bragi, Byggvir, Dagr, Disir, Eir, Forseti, Freya, Freyr, Frigga, Heimdall, Hel, Hoenir, Idunn, Jord, Lofn, Loki, Mon, Njord, Norns, Nott, Odin, Ran, Saga, Sif, Siofn, Skadi, Snotra, Sol, Syn, Ull, Thor, Tyr, Var, Vali, Vidar, Vor, Herne, Holda, Nehalennia, Nerthus, Endovelicus, Ataegina, Runesocesius, Apollo, Bacchus, Ceres, Cupid, Diana, Janus, Juno, Jupiter, Maia, Mars, Mercury, Minerva, Neptune, Pluto, Plutus, Proserpina, Venus, Vesta, Vulcan, Attis, Cybele, El-Gabal, Isis, Mithras, Sol Invictus, Endovelicus, Anubis, Aten, Atum, Bast, Bes, Geb, Hapi, Hathor, Heget, Horus, Imhotep, Isis, Khepry, Khnum, Maahes, Ma’at, Menhit, Mont, Naunet, Neith, Nephthys, Nut, Osiris, Ptah, Ra, Sekhmnet, Sobek, Set, Tefnut, Thoth, An, Anshar, Anu, Apsu, Ashur, Damkina, Ea, Enki, Enlil, Ereshkigal, Nunurta, Hadad, Inanna, Ishtar, Kingu, Kishar, Marduk, Mummu, Nabu, Nammu, Nanna, Nergal, Ninhursag, Ninlil, Nintu, Shamash, Sin, Tiamat, Utu, Mitra, Amaterasu, Susanoo, Tsukiyomi, Inari, Tengu, Izanami, Izanagi, Daikoku, Ebisu, Benzaiten, Bishamonten, Fukurokuju, Jurojin, Hotei, Quetzalcoatl, Tlaloc, Inti, Kon, Mama Cocha, Mama Quilla, Manco Capac, Pachacamac and Zaramama
15-10-2016, 04:39 PM
(15-10-2016 04:36 PM)21stCenturyIconoclast Wrote:  Aliza,

Until Firefigihter01 responds to your non-answer by posing a question instead, you forgot to tell us which god concept you're referring too. To save time for Firefighter01, can you pick which god you follow from the list shown below so as to pinpoint the discussion?

Azura Mazda, Angus, Belenos, Brigid, Dana, Lugh, Dagda, Epona, Allah Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, Artemis, Atehna, Demeter, Dionysus, Eris, Eos, Gaia, Hades, Hekate, Helios, Hephaestus, Hera, Hermes, Hestia, Pan, Poseidon, Selene, Uranus, Zeus, Mathilde, Elves, Eostre, Frigg, Ganesh, Hretha, Saxnot, Shef, Shiva Thuno, Tir, Vishnu, Weyland, Woden, Yahweh, Alfar, Balder, Beyla, Bil, Bragi, Byggvir, Dagr, Disir, Eir, Forseti, Freya, Freyr, Frigga, Heimdall, Hel, Hoenir, Idunn, Jord, Lofn, Loki, Mon, Njord, Norns, Nott, Odin, Ran, Saga, Sif, Siofn, Skadi, Snotra, Sol, Syn, Ull, Thor, Tyr, Var, Vali, Vidar, Vor, Herne, Holda, Nehalennia, Nerthus, Endovelicus, Ataegina, Runesocesius, Apollo, Bacchus, Ceres, Cupid, Diana, Janus, Juno, Jupiter, Maia, Mars, Mercury, Minerva, Neptune, Pluto, Plutus, Proserpina, Venus, Vesta, Vulcan, Attis, Cybele, El-Gabal, Isis, Mithras, Sol Invictus, Endovelicus, Anubis, Aten, Atum, Bast, Bes, Geb, Hapi, Hathor, Heget, Horus, Imhotep, Isis, Khepry, Khnum, Maahes, Ma’at, Menhit, Mont, Naunet, Neith, Nephthys, Nut, Osiris, Ptah, Ra, Sekhmnet, Sobek, Set, Tefnut, Thoth, An, Anshar, Anu, Apsu, Ashur, Damkina, Ea, Enki, Enlil, Ereshkigal, Nunurta, Hadad, Inanna, Ishtar, Kingu, Kishar, Marduk, Mummu, Nabu, Nammu, Nanna, Nergal, Ninhursag, Ninlil, Nintu, Shamash, Sin, Tiamat, Utu, Mitra, Amaterasu, Susanoo, Tsukiyomi, Inari, Tengu, Izanami, Izanagi, Daikoku, Ebisu, Benzaiten, Bishamonten, Fukurokuju, Jurojin, Hotei, Quetzalcoatl, Tlaloc, Inti, Kon, Mama Cocha, Mama Quilla, Manco Capac, Pachacamac and Zaramama

I didn't see my G-d's name on that list. Maybe some sad misrepresentations of his name, but I'd rather not use those. I'm Jewish, though. It really shouldn't matter, though.
15-10-2016, 04:50 PM
Aliza,

Tsk, tsk, but out of respect for your god concept, it should matter! If you're Jewish, then your god is named "Yahweh," which is one of the many Bronze and Iron Age gods of lore, and of which later jettisoned the Jews by becoming the Christian god in their New Testament writings.

Have you ever thought about your god becoming the Christian god as shown above? Or do you just accept, as you biblically should in the Torah and subsequent writings, that the Christian belief is a ruse, and that of course you have the right belief in Judaism?

The snake oil is still sold and continues into the 21st century. Sad
15-10-2016, 07:41 PM
(15-10-2016 04:50 PM)21stCenturyIconoclast Wrote:  Aliza,

Tsk, tsk, but out of respect for your god concept, it should matter! If you're Jewish, then your god is named "Yahweh," which is one of the many Bronze and Iron Age gods of lore, and of which later jettisoned the Jews by becoming the Christian god in their New Testament writings.

Have you ever thought about your god becoming the Christian god as shown above? Or do you just accept, as you biblically should in the Torah and subsequent writings, that the Christian belief is a ruse, and that of course you have the right belief in Judaism?

The snake oil is still sold and continues into the 21st century. Sad

The term you provided for my god is incorrect. That’s what gentiles say it is, but we Jews do not ever say that… and we’re actually capable of reading the book in its original language. We’re in a better position to say what it isn’t sounding out. There is no “w” sound in Hebrew, and nor is there a “j” sound.

Regarding the Jewish G-d being the same as the Christian god, Jesus, a careful reading of the text in its original language clearly and unambiguously disqualifies the Christian message as being a valid Jewish view. I know you don’t know me and you’re not familiar with my reputation here, but I believe that my reputation on this forum will show that I’m quite educated in my religion and the reasons behind Judaism’s rejection of the Christian theology. We can speak about that separately if you’re curious.

The point that I try to make on this forum is that the oil, be it snake oil or otherwise, isn’t really for sale at all. I’m not trying to convince anyone to adopt my position, but purely for the fact that I’m a theist, people sometimes assume that I’m also in the business of trying to convince them to become a theist as well. There’s a reason there are no door to door Jewish evangelists, or Jewish proselytization campaigns. This just isn’t a Jewish thing. I do not care what you believe. I’ll judge you for your actions, and I ask to be judged for my actions and not the things that I think in my head.
[+] 10 users Like Aliza's post
15-10-2016, 07:47 PM
(06-10-2016 08:59 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 10:56 PM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  If you can't give a logical definition, it logically can't exist.

How does inability to explain something logically prove it doesn't exist? It may show that the person trying to explain it lacks the knowledge or intelligence to explain it, but something's existence or non existence is independent of the success of our efforts to prove it exists.

Logic is a tool that non-omniscient beings can use to learn more. All logic is dependent on first accepting certain axioms that we already know to be true and making inferences from them to obtain more truth. God doesn't need logic because he is omniscient.

I define God as the one who created us and by reason of his creation is our owner and has an absolute right to our obedience. He has provided proof of his existence through his creation and if we are willing to accept this evidence we can use it as a basis for logically learning more about him. Life is too complex to have come into existence apart from the intervention of an intelligent creator. Those who acknowledge God's existence and are willing to submit to him will receive more knowledge.

[Image: il_570xN.851662882_s0zu.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post