What is the definition of God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2016, 04:49 PM
RE: What is the definition of God?
But my words like silent raindrops fell

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2016, 11:15 PM
And echoed in the wells of silence
23-10-2016, 12:34 AM
Fuck said I, there's no more lines
I guess I'll go back to calculating cubic splines

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
17-10-2017, 12:36 AM

#sigh
18-10-2017, 08:47 AM

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Lacuna Coil! That takes me back to being a teenager lol. Are they still going? Swamped was my favourite track Big Grin

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
18-10-2017, 02:58 PM
(06-10-2016 08:59 AM)theophilus Wrote:  God doesn't need logic because he is omniscient.

And your evidence for making this assertion.....?

Quote:I define God as the one who created us and by reason of his creation is our owner and has an absolute right to our obedience.

What do you mean by "the one"? Trying to meaningfully define your god by merely saying this is sloppy logic at best. This prompts the obvious question: The one what exactly?

And your 'logic' is similar to someone asking me to define a railway train, and I say "It's the means by which I travelled from Melbourne to Sydney". But it neatly avoids me having to actually define a train. As you've done with your god.

Quote:He has provided proof of his existence through his creation...

So the fact of our existence proves that your god exists? And proof that your god exists is the fact that we exist? Stunning illogicality. Blink

Quote:Life is too complex to have come into existence apart from the intervention of an intelligent creator.

Have you ever considered the far more likely incidence of Abiogenesis? And you've still not attempted to define this purported "intelligent creator" of yours.

Quote:Those who acknowledge God's existence and are willing to submit to him will receive more knowledge.

Sorry, but I don't have the vaguest idea of what this actually means, in simple English. Please elaborate.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
19-10-2017, 04:27 AM
(06-10-2016 08:59 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Logic is a tool that non-omniscient beings can use to learn more. All logic is dependent on first accepting certain axioms that we already know to be true and making inferences from them to obtain more truth. God doesn't need logic because he is omniscient.

Congrats, you just defined your god into meaninglessness. Nonsensical things that are counter-intuitive can certainly exist, but we need evidence for that (e.g. photon's particle-wave duality and the double-slit experiment). If we're just working with definitions, we have no reason to grant any credence to a definition that lacks a rational basis because of fiat on your part.

(06-10-2016 08:59 AM)theophilus Wrote:  I define God as the one who created us and by reason of his creation is our owner and has an absolute right to our obedience.

See? Now you make a claim to reason, after throwing it out in the name of omniscience? Sorry, but no. Either make it work within a consistent framework we can all at least agree upon, or go fuck yourself.

Also, obedience does not follow ownership. If god wanted obedience, then it should have left us without minds of our own, just a universe of inanimate matter that flowed the laws of physics. If however you are proposing that your god concept is in fact behind that sort of hard determinism, then its indistinguishable from non-existence. Congrats, another utterly meaningless bit of tripe.

(06-10-2016 08:59 AM)theophilus Wrote:  He has provided proof of his existence through his creation and if we are willing to accept this evidence we can use it as a basis for logically learning more about him.

Nope. Actually, all of creation is evidence for Norks, who are themselves a species capable of creating god capable of creating their own realities. Ergo this creation and your god are just evidence for the Norks.

See how easy that stupid shit is? It's turtles all the way down dumbass.

[Image: NP_jk_turtles-blog480.jpg]

(06-10-2016 08:59 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Life is too complex to have come into existence apart from the intervention of an intelligent creator.

Just becuase it has not been observed yet, does not mean it is impossible.

You want us to accept the possibility of your god, but you're willing to a priori take the possibility of abiogeneis off the table? You can take your intellectual hypocrisy and shove it.

(06-10-2016 08:59 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Those who acknowledge God's existence and are willing to submit to him will receive more knowledge.

Well then how come you don't know about my god creating Norks? Consider

Oh, right...

Those who acknowledge the Nork's existence and are willing to submit to them will receive more knowledge.

Guess you just haven't yet submitted to the Norks, and thus they have not deigned to grant you knowledge of their glorious existence. Rolleyes

Fuckin' dumb cunt. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post