What is the definition of God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2016, 09:37 PM
RE: What is the definition of God?
(17-10-2016 11:41 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 10:56 PM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  Here's one to get theists thinking: define "God". As distinct from all other gods.
Watch them at first jump in with all the boring superlatives, then make some rules;

Don't describe its supposed qualities like "the creator of the universe", "love", "all powerful", "the light of my life" etc. Define what your god is, or what any god is for that matter. A spirit is not an answer either, that just leads to "what's a spirit?"

If you can't give a logical definition, it logically can't exist. Atheists are welcome to suggestions as well, with the same criteria.

Take all humans (who lives in 2016), let them run a distance. The fastest human runner has velocity less than the 100 km/hour. Then, a spirit has velocity 200 km/hour.

This may have been your most pointless post to date. Consider

It made no sense, it bore no relation to anything on the thread, and it was opaque.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
17-10-2016, 09:47 PM
(17-10-2016 08:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Niiice. Well, then maybe you should find a forum with no theists to bother you because we all respect Aliza *and* her beliefs here.

Well, not quite. Consider
I like Aliza and respect her right to have whatever beliefs she wants, but I do not respect theistic beliefs.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
17-10-2016, 09:49 PM
(17-10-2016 09:32 PM)skyking Wrote:  That's a very nice offer Iconoclast. I'd take whiskey up on that, you could make a fresh start and all would be forgotten.

I'm dead serious about it too. I have mad respect for people who can admit when they have fucked up and try and fix it. Mend bridges don't burn 'em.
[Image: 1295767.png]

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
17-10-2016, 09:58 PM
(17-10-2016 07:45 PM)21stCenturyIconoclast[color=#FF0000' Wrote:  In closing, I have no respect for anyone that...[/color]

OK, we get it. You're a raging bigot. Indistinguishable from such notables as Jerry Falwell except that you tack an "a" in front of your "theist".

So let's get straight to the meat of it shall we?

What do you propose we do?

You know, aside from shrieking at people that you've never met over the internet? 4Chan has shown precisely how effective that tactic is.

What's your Final Solution?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
17-10-2016, 09:59 PM
(17-10-2016 07:45 PM)21stCenturyIconoclast Wrote:  [...] In closing, I have no respect for anyone that swallows the primitive doctrine of a despicable and horrific serial killing Jew god name Yahweh of the Bronze Age, and the rest of the Torah and further Jewish writings that demeans anyone that is not a Jew, and especially by Yahweh telling his followers that they should KILL anyone that does not follow him, understand? No, you cannot pick out the nice parts of the Jewish writings, without accepting ALL OF THEM as Yahweh god intended. Get it? Huh? Maybe a little bit?

You're excused.

This is an offensive, unwarranted, abusive attack on one of our members beliefs and person. Not only that, it's off-topic, a purely personal diatribe, and adds nothing of any merit to this thread. You really need to put your brain in gear before engaging your mouth matey.

And of course, it's hypocritical to suggest that those of Jewish faith "pick and choose" the "nice" parts of their writings. Christians invariably and conveniently "forget" the Levite massacre, or the edict to kill homosexuals or adulterers or for working on the sabbath, etc etc etc.

-Deuteronomy 17:12 -Exodus 22:17 -Leviticus 20:13 -Leviticus 20:27
-Exodus 21:15 -Proverbs 20:20 -Leviticus 20:9 -Leviticus 20:10 -Leviticus 21:9
-Exodus 22:19 -2 Chronicles 15:12-13 -Zechariah 13:3 -Deuteronomy 13:13-19
-Deuteronomy -22:20-21 Deuteronomy -13:7-12 -Deuteronomy 17:2-5
-Leviticus 24:10-16 -Deuteronomy 13:1-5 -Deuteronomy -18:20-22
-Romans 1:24-32 -Numbers 1:48-51 -Exodus 31:12-15... ad nauseam.

And you're obviously unaware that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are each termed "Abrahamic" religions because they accept that, allegedly, God revealed himself to the prophet Abraham.

You're excused. Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
17-10-2016, 10:14 PM
(17-10-2016 09:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-10-2016 08:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Niiice. Well, then maybe you should find a forum with no theists to bother you because we all respect Aliza *and* her beliefs here.

Well, not quite. Consider
I like Aliza and respect her right to have whatever beliefs she wants, but I do not respect theistic beliefs.

Yes, let me clarify. I meant that we respect her and her right to believe as she does.
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
17-10-2016, 10:34 PM
I have to laugh at 21stCenturyIconoclast's signature...

Quote:When the top three religious factions understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will then understand why I dismiss the horrific serial killing gods of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam!

It bears a remarkable similarity to the atheists' tenet...

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

—A major and embarrassing paraphrasing? Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
17-10-2016, 10:55 PM
(17-10-2016 11:41 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Take all humans (who lives in 2016), let them run a distance. The fastest human runner has velocity less than the 100 km/hour. Then, a spirit has velocity 200 km/hour.

Wrong again troll. If there were spirits, by definition they are non-corporeal, and not bound by physical definitions and laws and measures. A spirit has no velocity, by definition.

Did you pass First Grade ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-10-2016, 11:18 PM
(17-10-2016 09:58 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  OK, we get it. You're a raging bigot. Indistinguishable from such notables as Jerry Falwell except that you tack an "a" in front of your "theist".

Maybe he means "A Theist". His(?) behavior is certainly similar to many Christian fundamentalists I've met, with the raging and ranting, the bigotry, and the cultist "in group" and "out group" behaviors. He also uses fear of social outcasting to try to control people.

This person may secretely be a very well trained christian fundamentalist. Who knows! Maybe they're here to try to make atheism look bad and steer people back to Jesus.
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
17-10-2016, 11:31 PM
(17-10-2016 11:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Maybe he means "A Theist". His(?) behavior is certainly similar to many Christian fundamentalists I've met, with the raging and ranting, the bigotry, and the cultist "in group" and "out group" behaviors. He also uses fear of social outcasting to try to control people.

One thing is for sure: He isn't a humanist.

Quote:This person may secretly be a very well trained christian fundamentalist.

Big Grin Mmm... Maybe not all that well-trained. The absolutist ranting does have a distinctive fundamentalist flavour, though.
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post