What is the dumbest way you’ve been injured?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2017, 05:37 AM
RE: What is the dumbest way you’ve been injured?
(27-10-2017 05:36 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(27-10-2017 05:20 AM)yakherder Wrote:  When I was about 15 I'd set a thick wire crab trap shallow enough that I could walk to it. Then later I wasn't thinking about it and was wading around in the water for unrelated reasons and accidentally stepped on it, my foot making a small hole and going through the top. When I instinctively tried to pull my foot back out, a newly exposed piece of thick wire in the hole I created snagged my leg just below the knee and sliced it open deep enough that it required stitches.

One time I chipped a tooth laughing too hard.

Been prett lucky in regards to not getting hurt too badly actually, not for lack of trying.

Okay so now I have to ask, how did you chip a tooth from laughing too hard?
Comically, of course. Laugh out load
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
27-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Sammy Sosa (baseball player, for those who don't know) once sprained his back while sneezing, and had to miss several weeks of play. But I'm not him, so I guess I have to give one or two of my own:

When I was just a boy, my brother and I were mindlessly (and carelessly) tossing big rocks around in an abandoned field near our house (this field was my favorite playground for the first 10 years of my life). He accidentally hit me in the head with one of the rocks he tossed -- at least I hope it was accidental. No serious harm done, though.

In high school, I had a part-time job at a hamburger joint. I was scrubbing a wall one evening, and managed to drive a big wooden splinter all the way under one of my fingernails (it was a painted wooden wall). I had to be taken to the hospital to get the splinter removed.

Several times in my childhood, I was riding my bike without looking where I was going, and ran into the back of parked cars. Somehow, I managed to escape serious injury in all of these incidents.

Another time, I made a left turn (on my bike, from the right side of the road) and got hit by a car (in high school, I did the same thing while driving a car). No serious injuries either time. I really led a charmed life in childhood, lol.

Back in the early 1990s, I was taking some rock climbing lessons out in Colorado, and on one of the off days, volunteered to help the guide run a class for a bunch of kids from the local school. After setting up, he went to get the kids while I hung around to watch our ropes and stuff. I got bored and decided to do some "bouldering" (climbing without ropes). I was very careful not to go more than a few feet off the ground, but the rock outcrop was on a fairly steep slope, and when I jumped off of it, I lost my balance and went running down the slope trying to regain it. I picked up speed and ended up tripping over something and going face-first into the ground. No damage to my face (other than a mouthful of dirt), but I hit my right elbow on a rock and gashed it pretty good, requiring several stitches. I put a sweatshirt on to cover it up, and was able to make it through the class with the kids, but then had to be driven to the hospital by the guide.

There are undoubtedly more, but I'll stop now.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
27-10-2017, 11:04 AM
(27-10-2017 10:48 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Sammy Sosa (baseball player, for those who don't know) once sprained his back while sneezing, and had to miss several weeks of play. But I'm not him, so I guess I have to give one or two of my own:

When I was just a boy, my brother and I were mindlessly (and carelessly) tossing big rocks around in an abandoned field near our house (this field was my favorite playground for the first 10 years of my life). He accidentally hit me in the head with one of the rocks he tossed -- at least I hope it was accidental. No serious harm done, though.

In high school, I had a part-time job at a hamburger joint. I was scrubbing a wall one evening, and managed to drive a big wooden splinter all the way under one of my fingernails (it was a painted wooden wall). I had to be taken to the hospital to get the splinter removed.

Several times in my childhood, I was riding my bike without looking where I was going, and ran into the back of parked cars. Somehow, I managed to escape serious injury in all of these incidents.

Another time, I made a left turn (on my bike, from the right side of the road) and got hit by a car (in high school, I did the same thing while driving a car). No serious injuries either time. I really led a charmed life in childhood, lol.

Back in the early 1990s, I was taking some rock climbing lessons out in Colorado, and on one of the off days, volunteered to help the guide run a class for a bunch of kids from the local school. After setting up, he went to get the kids while I hung around to watch our ropes and stuff. I got bored and decided to do some "bouldering" (climbing without ropes). I was very careful not to go more than a few feet off the ground, but the rock outcrop was on a fairly steep slope, and when I jumped off of it, I lost my balance and went running down the slope trying to regain it. I picked up speed and ended up tripping over something and going face-first into the ground. No damage to my face (other than a mouthful of dirt), but I hit my right elbow on a rock and gashed it pretty good, requiring several stitches. I put a sweatshirt on to cover it up, and was able to make it through the class with the kids, but then had to be driven to the hospital by the guide.

Not actually a stupid reason for fucking your back up, sneezing is a very common mechanism of injury for bad backs and slipped discs.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
27-10-2017, 11:15 AM
(27-10-2017 11:04 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(27-10-2017 10:48 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Sammy Sosa (baseball player, for those who don't know) once sprained his back while sneezing, and had to miss several weeks of play. But I'm not him, so I guess I have to give one or two of my own:

Not actually a stupid reason for fucking your back up, sneezing is a very common mechanism of injury for bad backs and slipped discs.

I had to look up the incident to make sure my memory wasn't playing tricks on me, and it said back injuries are common among baseball players anyway, because swinging a bat in a horizontal plane is an unnatural motion that puts a lot of stress on the back. Plus it was a violent sneezing attack. Still, it sounds stupid -- "He hurt his back doing what?!?"

Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
27-10-2017, 04:29 PM
I've broke my foot once... "taking off my pants." then slept till the next morning and was taken to the emergency room.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
[+] 2 users Like kunoxian drive's post
27-10-2017, 04:53 PM
(27-10-2017 04:29 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  I've broke my foot once... "taking off my pants." then slept till the next morning and was taken to the emergency room.

New Years Eve, 2010. I broke a rib coughing. Facepalm
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
27-10-2017, 04:58 PM
(27-10-2017 04:29 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  I've broke my foot once... "taking off my pants." then slept till the next morning and was taken to the emergency room.

It would be great to have video of that!

Laugh out load

More than once, I have lost my balance and fallen over while putting on or taking off my pants, but I don't believe that has ever resulted in injuries.

I remembered another one, though. I was walking to a concert once (about a 3-mile walk), and carrying an umbrella (there was a chance of rain later that evening). A wasp flew right in front of my face and caused me to jerk violently backward and flail with the umbrella. I don't know whether I hit myself in the leg with the umbrella, or if it was just a muscle spasm, but I got the worst charley horse in my calf that I've ever had. I was able to walk the rest of the way to the concert, but sitting for several hours caused it to stiffen up, and I had to take a bus or taxi (I don't remember which) to get home, and I was limping badly for several weeks afterward. It eventually got better without any medical attention, but it was quite painful while it lasted.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
27-10-2017, 06:42 PM
(25-10-2017 08:39 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Foreman grill. Got burned on my arm. Fortunately I've never broken a bone.

I’ve never broken a bone, either, and I played every sport there is.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post