What is the explaination for everything?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2014, 12:16 AM
RE: What is the explaination for everything?
(09-02-2014 12:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  This might help to clear the confusion...

Faith = belief with no evidence.

One can have trust, confidence or assurance that a position is true or false based on evidence or lack of evidence.

I would say that I have a high degree of confidence (but not complete certainty) that there are no gods because I see no evidence for them.

And the more specific the god claims are (that they care, that they mind who we sleep with, etc.) the lower the probability for their existence (see Bayes' Theorem).

Fair enough; the Christian can say (this is not my friend's position; just an estimation) based on how the world works; the claims made in the Bible, etc. make me have a high degree of confidence that God does exist.

I simply cannot buy the position by many people here to the Null Hypothesis. You can reject claims by specific adherents to religious doctrines all day long. Fine.

YOU still need to, at some point, come down to believing whether God does or doesn't exist. And what is your proof one way or the other (asking other people here because you have shown yours).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2014, 12:16 AM
You can keep saying it over and over, but it will never make what you're saying true or even logical. You lack even the most rudimentary skills in understanding what these terms and lines of thinking mean.

I say there are purple elephants flying from planet to planet on golden wings. Do you believe that? No? Prove me wrong. You claim there are no purple interplanetary elephants, so prove it. Look up celestial teapot and you'll see just how ignorant your argument is.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2014, 12:17 AM
(09-02-2014 12:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:07 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  You are leaning toward Christianity because you can't even understand what atheism is. Atheists make zero claims about a god, otherwise we would have to be the ones proving it. You can't prove a negative, it's basic logic.

Personally I'd be leaning towards Aphrodite.

Did you notice the jump from deism to a particular brand of theism?

I smell troll.

If I were a troll I'd be lambasting you with religious dogma. I am not.

I also wouldn't have laid my cards on the table.
09-02-2014, 12:18 AM
(09-02-2014 12:16 AM)fmudd Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  This might help to clear the confusion...

Faith = belief with no evidence.

One can have trust, confidence or assurance that a position is true or false based on evidence or lack of evidence.

I would say that I have a high degree of confidence (but not complete certainty) that there are no gods because I see no evidence for them.

And the more specific the god claims are (that they care, that they mind who we sleep with, etc.) the lower the probability for their existence (see Bayes' Theorem).

Fair enough; the Christian can say (this is not my friend's position; just an estimation) based on how the world works; the claims made in the Bible, etc. make me have a high degree of confidence that God does exist.

I simply cannot buy the position by many people here to the Null Hypothesis. You can reject claims by specific adherents to religious doctrines all day long. Fine.

YOU still need to, at some point, come down to believing whether God does or doesn't exist. And what is your proof one way or the other (asking other people here because you have shown yours).

You will never find an atheist who will give you proof a god doesn't exist. You just don't understand what burden of proof is and why it exists.

----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
09-02-2014, 12:18 AM
(09-02-2014 12:02 AM)fmudd Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:02 AM)sporehux Wrote:  To me Atheism = To not see the influence of a deity in this reality.

Fair enough; a faith-based claim.

Da fAQ, Blink You either did not understand my statement or don't know what "faith" means ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-02-2014, 12:19 AM
(09-02-2014 12:16 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  You can keep saying it over and over, but it will never make what you're saying true or even logical. You lack even the most rudimentary skills in understanding what these terms and lines of thinking mean.

I say there are purple elephants flying from planet to planet on golden wings. Do you believe that? No? Prove me wrong. You claim there are no purple interplanetary elephants, so prove it. Look up celestial teapot and you'll see just how ignorant your argument is.

Right, so you are essentially saying (1) you have to defend no assertions on what is out there, only knock other assertions down and (2) your belief that there is no God is NOT an act of Faith even though there is no evidence for THAT claim.
09-02-2014, 12:20 AM
(09-02-2014 12:18 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:02 AM)fmudd Wrote:  Fair enough; a faith-based claim.

Da fAQ, Blink You either did not understand my statement or don't know what "faith" means ?

Clearly it's the latter, something I've pointed out a few times now. But the ignorance is far deeper than just that term?

----
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
09-02-2014, 12:22 AM
(09-02-2014 12:18 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:02 AM)fmudd Wrote:  Fair enough; a faith-based claim.

I have posted the definition of faith from Merriam Webster.

You can say that there is no evidence for a deity but at the end of the day you have to make a decision (and formulate a world view, etc) as to whether there is a God or not.

That is where your faith comes in.
09-02-2014, 12:24 AM
(09-02-2014 12:20 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:18 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Da fAQ, Blink You either did not understand my statement or don't know what "faith" means ?

Clearly it's the latter, something I've pointed out a few times now. But the ignorance is far deeper than just that term?

Your "definition" of faith cannot outweigh that by which Merriam Webster has come with.

I have given you a third party definition by a fairly objective source.

Neither of us should be able to redefine what "faith" means.
09-02-2014, 12:24 AM
(09-02-2014 12:19 AM)fmudd Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:16 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  You can keep saying it over and over, but it will never make what you're saying true or even logical. You lack even the most rudimentary skills in understanding what these terms and lines of thinking mean.

Right, so you are essentially saying (1) you have to defend no assertions on what is out there, only knock other assertions down and (2) your belief that there is no God is NOT an act of Faith even though there is no evidence for THAT claim.

Wrong, again. No claims, remember? I merely say I find zero evidence of a god, so I don't believe in one. If I told you I had a rhino living in my fridge who was a deity, would you take my word for it or would you demand evidence? There's no difference in my rhino god and your deity. I would like evidence before I believe in something, a perfectly rational stance.

----