What is the explaination for everything?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2014, 12:25 AM
RE: What is the explaination for everything?
(09-02-2014 12:17 AM)fmudd Wrote:  ...
If I were a troll I'd be lambasting you with religious dogma. I am not.

I also wouldn't have laid my cards on the table.

Your cards or your friend's cards?

I am wondering why you are not accepting the responses of people here and building from there to grow your understanding.

That's what the dogmatic theists on this site tend to do.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2014, 12:26 AM
(09-02-2014 12:04 AM)fmudd Wrote:  So what is your claim; if you make a claim at all?
In truth, I don't care whether or not there is a deity; I would not live my live any differently if its existence was proven conclusively.

(09-02-2014 12:07 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  You can't prove a negative, it's basic logic.
Yeah, well, about that... you can prove a negative; what you can't prove is a negative that is all-encompassing.

For example, while I can prove that there is no apple in my hand, I cannot prove that there are no apples anywhere in the universe.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
09-02-2014, 12:26 AM
I've accepted your definition of faith, it's your incorrect use of it that is clear, and your inability to recognize that inability.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2014, 12:28 AM
(09-02-2014 12:16 AM)fmudd Wrote:  YOU still need to, at some point, come down to believing whether God does or doesn't exist. And what is your proof one way or the other (asking other people here because you have shown yours).

"Proof" is for mathematics. The rest of science relies not on absolute proof, but on evidence.

What I find telling is that we haven't found any physical evidence of interactions between the natural universe and the so-called "supernatural" realm. Admittedly this may be due to a lack of instrumentation for measuring supernatural things, but at very least I'd expect to see something odd happening on the natural side of the event, much as the visible phenomenon of lightning is associated with electricity.

Everything we look at seems to be of natural origins. Every "miracle" that is examined with due diligence appears to be merely statistically unlikely rather than an impossibility.

If there is a god out there, where is it hiding and why can't we find any trace of it? And why bother looking if it exists but doesn't want us to find it?
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
09-02-2014, 12:31 AM
(09-02-2014 12:24 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:19 AM)fmudd Wrote:  Right, so you are essentially saying (1) you have to defend no assertions on what is out there, only knock other assertions down and (2) your belief that there is no God is NOT an act of Faith even though there is no evidence for THAT claim.

Wrong, again. No claims, remember? I merely say I find zero evidence of a god, so I don't believe in one. If I told you I had a rhino living in my fridge who was a deity, would you take my word for it or would you demand evidence? There's no difference in my rhino god and your deity. I would like evidence before I believe in something, a perfectly rational stance.

It is a rational stance to say this: "I don't know if there is a God or not, so I cannot prove or disprove the claim by someone who believes in a God."

It is an act of FAITH to say this: "The Christian/Buddhist/Jew/Muslim hasn't proved that there is a God, therefore there isn't one".

With the latter you have made an assertion based on disbelieving what someone else has said. I accept that the various religions may be wrong.

That still leaves you with taking a leap of faith on whether there is a God or not.
09-02-2014, 12:32 AM
(09-02-2014 12:26 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:04 AM)fmudd Wrote:  So what is your claim; if you make a claim at all?
In truth, I don't care whether or not there is a deity; I would not live my live any differently if its existence was proven conclusively.

(09-02-2014 12:07 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  You can't prove a negative, it's basic logic.
Yeah, well, about that... you can prove a negative; what you can't prove is a negative that is all-encompassing.

Right, that.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
09-02-2014, 12:34 AM
Still missing the point, I feel.

(09-02-2014 12:31 AM)fmudd Wrote:  ...
It is NOT an act of FAITH to say this: "The Christian/Buddhist/Jew/Muslim hasn't proved that there is a God, therefore there isn't one I reject the claims".

Fixt! Thumbsup

09-02-2014, 12:35 AM
(09-02-2014 12:26 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I've accepted your definition of faith, it's your incorrect use of it that is clear, and your inability to recognize that inability.

So if you truly don't know whether there is a God or not; how can you truly claim that the Christian/Buddhist/Jew/Muslim is wrong? Without evidence?

All I have heard is that people are saying the religious people are wrong, but nothing to backup the claim that they are right in believing that there is no God.
09-02-2014, 12:36 AM
I think what your missing Fudd, is that an Atheist would believe in GOD/GODS if there was evidence for it, we can change our minds.

Theist cannot, they asked for a single transitional fossil or missing link, and now there are hundreds found (including a dozen humanoids), they just go Meh!! I still have faith. " my daddy said the bible is true, so lalalalala"

[Image: pages5455.jpg]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-02-2014, 12:37 AM
(09-02-2014 12:35 AM)fmudd Wrote:  ...
nothing to backup the claim that they are right in believing that there is no God.

... because we are not saying that!

No