What is the explaination for everything?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2014, 12:38 AM
RE: What is the explaination for everything?
(09-02-2014 12:36 AM)sporehux Wrote:  I think what your missing Fudd, is that an Atheist would believe in GOD/GODS if there was evidence for it, we can change our minds.

Theist cannot, they asked for a single transitional fossil or missing link, and now there are hundreds found (including a dozen humanoids), they just go Meh!! I still have faith. " my daddy said the bible is true, so lalalalala"

That is fair; there are many dogmatic Christian's who won't accept evidence for evolution.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2014, 12:39 AM
(09-02-2014 12:37 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:35 AM)fmudd Wrote:  ...
nothing to backup the claim that they are right in believing that there is no God.

... because we are not saying that!

No

Look; I am not accepting any retreats into the Null Hypothesis.

It is simply intellectually dishonest to say that only one side has to provide the burden of proof on the why of our existence.

We are not talking about a criminal trial here.
09-02-2014, 12:40 AM
(09-02-2014 12:35 AM)fmudd Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:26 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I've accepted your definition of faith, it's your incorrect use of it that is clear, and your inability to recognize that inability.

So if you truly don't know whether there is a God or not; how can you truly claim that the Christian/Buddhist/Jew/Muslim is wrong? Without evidence?

All I have heard is that people are saying the religious people are wrong, but nothing to backup the claim that they are right in believing that there is no God.

Did I say that? When did I ever say anyone was wrong? And again, you keep saying I am claiming something, which I'm not. And we don't say we are right at all.

Read these words very carefully: Atheists say there is a lack of evidence for any god, so they don't believe in one. That's it, the whole ball of wax. We don't say anyone is wrong, we don't claim anything. You are inventing lies about what atheism is, and you are still not grasping what faith is.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
09-02-2014, 12:41 AM
(08-02-2014 03:03 PM)fmudd Wrote:  Hello,

First time posting. My question is what is the current explanation for everything (when you reject religion)?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
09-02-2014, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 12:46 AM by fmudd.)
(09-02-2014 12:28 AM)Astreja Wrote:  "Proof" is for mathematics. The rest of science relies not on absolute proof, but on evidence.

What I find telling is that we haven't found any physical evidence of interactions between the natural universe and the so-called "supernatural" realm. Admittedly this may be due to a lack of instrumentation for measuring supernatural things, but at very least I'd expect to see something odd happening on the natural side of the event, much as the visible phenomenon of lightning is associated with electricity.

Everything we look at seems to be of natural origins. Every "miracle" that is examined with due diligence appears to be merely statistically unlikely rather than an impossibility.

If there is a god out there, where is it hiding and why can't we find any trace of it? And why bother looking if it exists but doesn't want us to find it?

I understand your position and this is why I haven't fully wrapped my head around that.

However, the why IS important. To simply assert "everything just is" is an act of faith just like any other.

I will try to see what feedback my Christian friend says on this.
09-02-2014, 12:44 AM
(09-02-2014 12:40 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Did I say that? When did I ever say anyone was wrong? And again, you keep saying I am claiming something, which I'm not. And we don't say we are right at all.

Read these words very carefully: Atheists say there is a lack of evidence for any god, so they don't believe in one. That's it, the whole ball of wax. We don't say anyone is wrong, we don't claim anything. You are inventing lies about what atheism is, and you are still not grasping what faith is.

Again; you are ultimately retreating to the Null Hypothesis.

That isn't fair.

Everyone else has to defend/prove/provide basis for their claims but (atheists/agnostics/whatever) get to sit back and cross their arms.

Not fair and not honest.
09-02-2014, 12:44 AM
(09-02-2014 12:39 AM)fmudd Wrote:  It is simply intellectually dishonest to say that only one side has to provide the burden of proof on the why of our existence.

Did you really just write that? You make a claim, you back it up. Why am I, or anyone here, being intellectually dishonest by not making a claim and not proving the claim we aren't making? Do you even read what you write?

----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
09-02-2014, 12:45 AM
(09-02-2014 12:39 AM)fmudd Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:37 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ... because we are not saying that!

No

Look; I am not accepting any retreats into the Null Hypothesis.

It is simply intellectually dishonest to say that only one side has to provide the burden of proof on the why of our existence.

We are not talking about a criminal trial here.

So, now you are calling us dishonest?

Well I would expect the same from the nutter I met yesterday on the bus who got angry with me when I said that I didn't believe him when he said he had had dinner with Elvis last week.

I find your (friend's) god(s) not guilty of existing.

I am not saying that those gods are innocent.

The court is adjourned.

All rise.

09-02-2014, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 12:53 AM by sporehux.)

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-02-2014, 12:50 AM
(09-02-2014 12:44 AM)fmudd Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:40 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Did I say that? When did I ever say anyone was wrong? And again, you keep saying I am claiming something, which I'm not. And we don't say we are right at all.

Again; you are ultimately retreating to the Null Hypothesis.

That isn't fair.

Everyone else has to defend/prove/provide basis for their claims but (atheists/agnostics/whatever) get to sit back and cross their arms.

Not fair and not honest.

Albert Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. You, fmudd, are precariously close to this. If you don't want to back up your claim then don't make one. I'm not claiming maggots have dreams of becoming tequila worms, but according to you I need to have a stance on this very topic and be prepared to defend it as a claim somehow. You are beyond ignorant and I believe you have an inability to comprehend.

----
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post