What is the explaination for everything?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 03:27 PM by Peebothuhul.)
RE: What is the explaination for everything?
*Waves*

Um...can there be a bit of a narrowing down of the opening question?

Such as in, "What is the current explanation for everything?"

Well...13 point something billion years ago...LOTS of energy(And 'space' and 'time' and 'things')!!! Which then eventually 'cooled'/'condensed down into the basic forces that we now know and basic element of hydrogen (So...the first matter)

The hydrogen, due to random 'Brownian motion' 'clumped' and thence (Due to mass attraction I.E. enough stuff = Gravity) formed the first stars. From there on in it's been; Star formation/heavier elements fused => Explosion; Stellar medium clumping/collapsing => Star formation/Heavier elements fused => Explosion; (Also as in LOTS of stars/mass collapsing and exploding) continuing right up until the present day.

In there is also things speeding way from other things (Dark matter/energy)

But, for a lay man, I'm pretty sure I'm close to how smarter people view things? Smile

Very much cheers to all.

Edit: Woah, lots of posters.... Blush
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2014, 03:22 PM
(08-02-2014 03:18 PM)fmudd Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 03:12 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  We have no unifying/ultimate theory at the moment if that's that you are asking.

OK, thank you; so what are the competing explanations? Google didn't turn up any unifying theories for me yet.

We have no competing unifying or ultimate hypotheses of everything because we do not yet have all the pieces, or even enough of them to begin speculation like that.
Or that's the way I understand it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-02-2014, 03:27 PM
(08-02-2014 03:19 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Everything just is.

Thats as vague of an answere as your question is.

OK, here is why I am asking.

I am asking this question because I am in an ongoing discussion with a Christian who uses God to explain everything.

I want to show that atheism has a better way to explain existence.

The answers I have found seems "religious".

I am not arguing; I am just trying to find how atheists explains existence.
08-02-2014, 03:29 PM
(08-02-2014 03:27 PM)fmudd Wrote:  OK, here is why I am asking.

I am asking this question because I am in an ongoing discussion with a Christian who uses God to explain everything.

Um...basically "Everything is"

As to "Why?"

"We don't know...but we're looking every where for answers..."

Hope that helps. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
08-02-2014, 03:35 PM
(08-02-2014 03:29 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Um...basically "Everything is"

As to "Why?"

Hope that helps. Smile

Basically the Christian person I am in discussion with is saying atheists don't have an answer; the atheist just says it not God.

Isn't saying that there is no God an assertion without proof in the same way that a Christian says there is a God?

How can I reconcile these two ideas with this Christian?
08-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Oh No.... the 'god of the gaps' to the 10th power Hobo

This type of discussion ( the question itself) is intellectually dishonest, for starters. Dodgy

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
08-02-2014, 03:39 PM
(08-02-2014 03:37 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Oh No.... the 'god of the gaps' to the 10th power Hobo

This type of discussion ( the question itself) is intellectually dishonest, for starters. Dodgy

I am not trying to have a debate with anyone here or the Christian; I am really trying to understand at this point.

If there is any resource which better addresses the question(s) I am asking I am more that willing to look.
08-02-2014, 03:39 PM
(08-02-2014 03:35 PM)fmudd Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 03:29 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Um...basically "Everything is"

As to "Why?"

Hope that helps. Smile

Basically the Christian person I am in discussion with is saying atheists don't have an answer; the atheist just says it not God.

Isn't saying that there is no God an assertion without proof in the same way that a Christian says there is a God?

Oh we know it was not Yhwh we just can't disprove a deistic clockmaker god that never entered the universe, just set the conditions for the big bang and then moved on. Granted that is not really what they are arguing. Pretty much from the big bang on we have a relatively good idea of how things work but there is no inherent "Why" to any of it outside of the laws of physics and biology as to Life the Universe and Everything.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
08-02-2014, 03:41 PM
(08-02-2014 03:35 PM)fmudd Wrote:  Basically the Christian person I am in discussion with is saying atheists don't have an answer; the atheist just says it not God.

Um...no...saying "I don't know" is not asserting anything other than admitting one's own ignorance/edge of knowledge.

Getting to the end of one's knowledge and then saying "Everything beyond this is God..." kind of means one simply stops seeking more knowledge.

I'm sorry, I fail to see what's to reconcile.

Atheists are more saying 'There's no good evidence for any greater beings.' and that knowledge is slowly expanding as we keep learning new things.

"We don't know now... But we know more now than we did 50, or a 100, or a 1000 years ago."

This is an awesome video by some one much smarter than I which might help you along the way. => Neil deGrass Tyson

EDIT: Also, see above for lots of neat/concise posts/answers. Blush

Very much cheers to all.
08-02-2014, 03:41 PM
(08-02-2014 03:27 PM)fmudd Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 03:19 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Everything just is.

Thats as vague of an answere as your question is.

OK, here is why I am asking.

I explain existence in a way similar to War Horse there; existence is.

Through the work of scientists, I can tell how things came to exist and even how they are in their present forms (roughly) and what they are made of. But outside cause and affect laws of the universe, I cannot and do not try to justify why in abstract or philosophical terms things exist, I am merely forced to accept that they do, and I don't waste time to ponder why existence is a thing, rather I ponder why things exist in their particular way; how'd it get to that point, why'd it change? etc.

All I can say about the religious "Gawd dun it" is that assuming that without evidence for a gawd itself is only explaining an unknown with yet another unknown.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.