What is the explaination for everything?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 07:31 AM
RE: What is the explaination for everything?
(11-02-2014 07:24 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  As an aside, this thread has made me realise that when it comes to an explanation for everything, it's not the having it's the getting.
Tell your Gf/Bf that.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 08:12 AM
(10-02-2014 11:55 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 11:51 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Can someone save me the trouble of reading through 22 pages and just tell me if this guy is a troll or not? Drinking Beverage

Let's see:

Split personality? Check!
Unwilling to concede point regardless of evidence? Check!
Uses circular logic? Check!
Intellectually dishonest? Check!
Mind-numbingly stupid? Check!
Completely ignores intelligent questions that refute their point? Check!
Commits pretty much every debate fallacy? Check!
Disappears? Check!

Yep, troll.

"Mommy, what is the explanation for everything".
"There isn't one dear, now go out and play".

Infantile ? Check !

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-02-2014, 04:58 PM
(10-02-2014 01:40 AM)DLJ Wrote:  If I may step in to correct an obvious typo:

(10-02-2014 12:57 AM)fmudd Wrote:  ...
Objective Subjective morality most certainly does exist; how can we say Jerry Sandusky did a bad thing versus saying he did something we really don't prefer?

How can we say that slavery as practiced in the past was wrong and that the people in the past who enslaved people were wrong to do so as opposed to saying there was a cultural misunderstanding or again, not our preference?

As soon as there is a reference to 'we', there is no objectivity.

Any time. No need to thank me. Big Grin

Christian Friend: "I don't see how that follows. What makes morality objective simply means that it is outside of group discussions or preferences."

(10-02-2014 01:40 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 09:20 PM)nach_in Wrote:  ...
But we are honest to ourselves, planes may fall, everybody know that when they step inside a plane, cars may crash, we all know it when we get inside one. But we don't live our lives in fear of that possibility, we just keep it in a corner in our minds and keep going, does that mean we have faith that planes don't fall or that cars don't crash? Of course not!

This is my favourite faith test. I love it when this one comes up.

I sometimes use it to explain the meaning of the word 'assurance' in class (often to a largely muslim audience)

Simple thought experiment:

You enter an airport ticket area.

There are two counters ahead of you. Each with a huge sign above them advertising their services.

Sign One:
Smile Welcome to Faith Airlines Smile

Assurance Statement:
Thumbsup "We pray for your safe arrival" Thumbsup

Sign Two:
Smile Welcome to Science Airlines Smile

Assurance Statement:
Thumbsup "Based on rigourous (load and stress) testing, on-going maintenance activity (in line with and audited against internationally recognised safety standards (themselves subject to "continual improvement" research and development activities)), we have a very, very high degree of confidence that your journey will be trouble-free (run to schedule; take off and land safely; disaster recovery measures have been implemented and tested; insurance is pre-paid (please provide contact numbers of your next of kin) " Thumbsup

Which would you choose?

Smartass

Christian Friend: "Religion is not as you describe; it is quite simply Science AND God."
12-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Christian Friend: "A better way to talk about religion is to try and answer this.

Describe the color RED to a group of Blind people.

Let's here what people have to say."
12-02-2014, 05:12 PM
(12-02-2014 04:59 PM)fmudd Wrote:  Christian Friend: "A better way to talk about religion is to try and answer this.

I'd say something like this: "Any colour is the way our eyes perceive different light wavelengths. It's a thing you can't perceive directly, but you can know it's real because it can be detected by technological equipment and you can check the data. Just as we people with sight know there are other wavelengths we can't see, we call them ultraviolet and infrared"

still waiting for your answer on my post btw

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
12-02-2014, 06:18 PM
(12-02-2014 04:59 PM)fmudd Wrote:  Christian Friend: "A better way to talk about religion is to try and answer this.

How in the world does that have anything to do with religion?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
12-02-2014, 07:31 PM
(12-02-2014 06:18 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

How in the world does that have anything to do with religion?

Christian Friend: "You cannot measure God with a beeker; thus the question is relevant.

Let's here the description of RED to a group of blind people."
12-02-2014, 07:35 PM
(12-02-2014 05:12 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I'd say something like this: "Any colour is the way our eyes perceive different light wavelengths. It's a thing you can't perceive directly, but you can know it's real because it can be detected by technological equipment and you can check the data. Just as we people with sight know there are other wavelengths we can't see, we call them ultraviolet and infrared"

Christian Friend: "If I asked for a measurement of the color on the eye and brain, then OK.

What I am looking for is your description of red to the blind people. A blind person cannot discern RED versus BLUE versus GREEN from what you wrote.

A description is what I am looking for."

(12-02-2014 05:12 PM)nach_in Wrote:  still waiting for your answer on my post btw

"Writing now. It is a complex topic but at the end of the day when it comes to morality (one part of what you wrote) certain ideas are not subject to group discussion.

Otherwise it is mob rule with no way of saying what is right versus what is wrong."
12-02-2014, 07:39 PM
(12-02-2014 07:31 PM)fmudd Wrote:  
(12-02-2014 06:18 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  How in the world does that have anything to do with religion?

Christian Friend: "You cannot measure God with a beeker; thus the question is relevant.

Let's here the description of RED to a group of blind people."

No it's not. That beeker comment made no sense by the way. I see where you're going with this, but it's not the same thing at all. It's not a clever analogy. If red is Christianity, then what is someone who is slightly red/green colorblind? Buddhist? What if they're totally colorblind, is colorblindness atheism? Then what are the completely blind people? Satanists?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
12-02-2014, 08:06 PM
(12-02-2014 07:39 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  No it's not. That beeker comment made no sense by the way. I see where you're going with this, but it's not the same thing at all. It's not a clever analogy. If red is Christianity, then what is someone who is slightly red/green colorblind? Buddhist? What if they're totally colorblind, is colorblindness atheism? Then what are the completely blind people? Satanists?

Christian Friend: "In this context an atheist is completely blind."