What is the explaination for everything?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 04:24 PM
RE: What is the explaination for everything?
Existence is a beautiful symphony of physical matter, energy waves, and self-replicating living units (and whatever the fuck anti-matter is.) We are all truly lucky to have the opportunity to experience it during our short life spans. When there are no mystical deities or afterlives to worry about, everything is infinitely more magical and precious. I don't understand why people choose to see it the opposite way.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2014, 04:25 PM
(08-02-2014 04:08 PM)fmudd Wrote:  I see; here is the point that my Christian friend has made to me:

Whether it is Zeus or Buddha or Jesus or Abraham or whatever there is a higher intelligence that has created logic, order, and life in the universe.

The whole point of the argument that she has had with me is that atheism doesn't explain existence and God does explain existence.

Her proof of God is that we are.

How is an atheist (or atheism) answering that question?

It seems based on what I am reading that atheism doesn't have an answer to that question.

Once upon a time we didn't know what caused thunder. We said God did it.

Once upon a time we didn't know what caused epilepsy. We said God or the devil did it.

Once upon a time we didn't know what caused the stars to rise, or caused the earth to spew forth fire & brimstone. We said God did it.

Now we know better. Ask your friend if they really want to make the same mistake as countless billions have throughout history.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
08-02-2014, 04:30 PM
(08-02-2014 03:53 PM)fmudd Wrote:  Thank you for the replies thus far; I'll check out the video.

At this point the answers provided are not helping me prove to my Christian friend that atheism explains more than what Christianity has explained.

Please understand that I am not arguing; it just seems to me that atheism only asserts that God doesn't exist without proof.

I cannot defend that to my Christian friend.

This is what I need help with.

Thank you.

The discussion can only end in a stalemate. They'll keep referring to god. You could try to change the discussion.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

08-02-2014, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 04:35 PM by fmudd.)
(08-02-2014 04:22 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I think you've summed up your misunderstanding right here. As an atheist I have never asserted there is no god nor have I ever asserted that god didn't create the universe. I simply disagree with the assertion that there is a god or that he created the universe based on the fact that there is no evidence to back up the claim. Bottom line is I don't know how the universe came to be nor do I know if god exists or not. I don't know, you don't know and your Christian friend don't know. Nobody knows and anyone who tries to tell you they do know is either crazy, lying to you or is deluding themselves.

Thanks to everyone; I showed the Christian this thread and out of all the comments she feels this was one of the most honest and open-minded responses on here and she really appreciates this.

Also thank you for not beating up on me.
08-02-2014, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 04:57 PM by Peebothuhul.)
*GROUP HUGZ*

Big Grin

EDIT: Also..parting post/linky =>More Neil deGrass Tyson
08-02-2014, 06:13 PM
(08-02-2014 04:31 PM)fmudd Wrote:  Also thank you for not beating up on me.

[Image: knee-to-head-knockout.gif]

[Image: smiley-face-punching.gif]

[Image: head-bash.gif]

[Image: slapping.gif]

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-02-2014, 09:43 PM
OK, thanks for the discussion; are there other forums that I can point my Christian friend to that you would recommend?
08-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Is this "my friend" as in "my friend" has this weird rash ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
08-02-2014, 10:00 PM
(08-02-2014 09:57 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Is this "my friend" as in "my friend" has this weird rash ?

She is sitting right here:

"Ask me anything you want to ask. All I ask this that we not debate and we share ideas."
08-02-2014, 10:07 PM
(08-02-2014 09:43 PM)fmudd Wrote:  OK, thanks for the discussion; are there other forums that I can point my Christian friend to that you would recommend?

There is plenty to read on TTA (not all of it is as well-mannered as this thread).

Why not ask your friend to join and ask some questions?

She will realise that no two atheists hold the same view...
Some have argued that existence just is...
Some would argue that we cannot even prove that (see GirlyMan, the solipsist).

Generally, though, atheism is not a positive claim... most here would say that it is refusal to believe a positive claim (as you have seen already).

Ask your friend to describe her god(s) and why she believes in it/them and we can take it from there.

Ask her to bear in mind that that which is asserted without evidence will be dismissed without evidence and that if her god(s) are a form of comfort for her, she should be prepared for the anguish that many here have felt in having their comforter taken away from them.

There are plenty of stories on here from those who have been through that experience and feel much the better for it.

... but it is not for the faint-hearted.

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post