What is the explaination for everything?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 10:10 PM
RE: What is the explaination for everything?
The problem is in "why." It's been my experience that religious people fall back on the "why" because they think there needs to be one and they fill it with their god. Science answers the "how" and since religion can't do that, its fallback position is why. I don't need to know why, because I don't believe there is a why. If the Big Bang is true, then there is no why.

Why do you think there has to be a why? Smile

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
08-02-2014, 10:18 PM
(08-02-2014 10:10 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  The problem is in "why." It's been my experience that religious people fall back on the "why" because they think there needs to be one and they fill it with their god. Science answers the "how" and since religion can't do that, its fallback position is why. I don't need to know why, because I don't believe there is a why. If the Big Bang is true, then there is no why.

Why do you think there has to be a why? Smile

Christian friend here: "Man is always searching for the why. Science is searching for the why and folks on this forum believes that science will at some point answer the why. In my mind the why has already been answered."
Find all posts by this user
08-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Oh! And...

Here is a starter course for her...

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Science explains the how. The why you refer to is philosophical, something in which science has no interest. And by admitting the why is already answered, you paint yourself into a very closed-minded corner unwilling to learn what is true. Filling the gaps with god will keep you philosophically and mentally in the Bronze Age, which us exactly where we would still be without science answering how.

----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
08-02-2014, 10:26 PM
(08-02-2014 10:22 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Science explains the how. The why you refer to is philosophical, something in which science has no interest. And by admitting the why is already answered, you paint yourself into a very closed-minded corner unwilling to learn what is true. Filling the gaps with god will keep you philosophically and mentally in the Bronze Age, which us exactly where we would still be without science answering how.

Christian friend: "It would be silly to not pursue the how; science has always been incredibly valuable. It seems to me that it actually would be closed minded to only pursue the how and not appreciate the why."
08-02-2014, 10:34 PM
I appreciate the how more than you know. The why is wishful thinking at its worst. When people want to know the why, it's because they are scared there is no why. I'm not scared of there not being a why.

----
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
08-02-2014, 10:38 PM
(08-02-2014 10:34 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I appreciate the how more than you know. The why is wishful thinking at its worst. When people want to know the why, it's because they are scared there is no why. I'm not scared of there not being a why.

Christian friend: "I respectfully disagree; I believe people who believe in God are not afraid and don't feel alone. There is a comfort in knowing God exists, not a fear."
08-02-2014, 10:42 PM
(08-02-2014 10:38 PM)fmudd Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 10:34 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I appreciate the how more than you know. The why is wishful thinking at its worst. When people want to know the why, it's because they are scared there is no why. I'm not scared of there not being a why.

Christian friend: "I respectfully disagree; I believe people who believe in God are not afraid and don't feel alone. There is a comfort in knowing God exists, not a fear."

They do not "know" God exists. They believe he does.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 2 users Like Cephalotus's post
08-02-2014, 10:45 PM
(08-02-2014 10:38 PM)fmudd Wrote:  

You have exactly proved my point. You are afraid of the unknown, so you turn off that part of your brain, believe there is a god, sans proof or evidence, and live carefree in oblivion with no desire to learn the truth.

I'm not being mean or making fun of you, it's just true that you fill in the gaps in your worldview with god and afterlife so you can sleep at night, because the indoctrination has forced you to believe in superstitions and man-made religion.

----
08-02-2014, 10:50 PM
(08-02-2014 10:26 PM)fmudd Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 10:22 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Science explains the how. The why you refer to is philosophical, something in which science has no interest. And by admitting the why is already answered, you paint yourself into a very closed-minded corner unwilling to learn what is true. Filling the gaps with god will keep you philosophically and mentally in the Bronze Age, which us exactly where we would still be without science answering how.

Christian friend: "It would be silly to not pursue the how; science has always been incredibly valuable. It seems to me that it actually would be closed minded to only pursue the how and not appreciate the why."

You dynamically pursue the how and why simultaneously, that is beauty of science.

If the why is dogma, then the how becomes contaminated, this is corrupted and ugly science. (YEC and ID)

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post