What is the explaination for everything?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2014, 12:02 AM
RE: What is the explaination for everything?
To me Atheism = To not see the influence of a deity in this reality.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
(08-02-2014 11:59 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Not every atheist is a materialist and naturalist; some believe in the supernatural (e.g. Luminion), others concede that they don't know why anything exists.

Excellent; then we are getting closer to what I am saying. Different atheists have faith in the varying answers that they are finding.

Each of these different forms of atheism or agnosticism come with the caveat that they reject God without complete proof that God truly doesn't exist.
(09-02-2014 12:02 AM)sporehux Wrote:  To me Atheism = To not see the influence of a deity in this reality.

Fair enough; a faith-based claim.
09-02-2014, 12:04 AM
(09-02-2014 12:00 AM)fmudd Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 11:58 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  OK, now take your faith definition and apply it to the statements you've made and you'll see you've made zero sense.

No; she makes a faith-based claim that God exists and atheists make either a faith-based claim that God doesn't exist or a faith-based claim that science will find the answer.

Same amount of faith; by the definition in the dictionary.

You could not be more wrong.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2014, 12:04 AM
(09-02-2014 12:01 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:00 AM)fmudd Wrote:  No; she makes a faith-based claim that God exists and atheists make either a faith-based claim that God doesn't exist or a faith-based claim that science will find the answer.
No, that is a false dichotomy. I am an atheist who makes neither of these claims.

So what is your claim; if you make a claim at all?

Here is my (not my friend's) claim so that we are fair and everyone's cards are on the table. I don't know for sure, but I am leaning towards Christianity at the moment.
09-02-2014, 12:06 AM
(09-02-2014 12:04 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:00 AM)fmudd Wrote:  No; she makes a faith-based claim that God exists and atheists make either a faith-based claim that God doesn't exist or a faith-based claim that science will find the answer.

Same amount of faith; by the definition in the dictionary.

You could not be more wrong.

Tell me how NOT believing is a God is not an act of faith.

And please don't appeal to the Null Hypothesis. I understand that the Christian needs to meet a burden of proof but so does anyone claiming that God doesn't exist.

If you belief that God doesn't exist, show the evidence otherwise that is an act of faith as well.
09-02-2014, 12:07 AM
(09-02-2014 12:04 AM)fmudd Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:01 AM)Vosur Wrote:  No, that is a false dichotomy. I am an atheist who makes neither of these claims.

So what is your claim; if you make a claim at all?

Here is my (not my friend's claim) so that we are fair and everyone's cards are on the table. I don't know for sure, but I am leaning towards Christianity at the moment.

You are leaning toward Christianity because you can't even understand what atheism is. Atheists make zero claims about a god, otherwise we would have to be the ones proving it. You can't prove a negative, it's basic logic.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2014, 12:09 AM
This might help to clear the confusion...

Faith = belief despite the lack of evidence.

One can have trust, confidence or assurance that a position is true or false based on evidence or lack of evidence.

I would say that I have a high degree of confidence (but not complete certainty) that there are no gods because I see no evidence for them.

And the more specific the god claims are (that they care, that they mind who we sleep with, etc.) the lower the probability for their existence (see Bayes' Theorem).

09-02-2014, 12:10 AM
(09-02-2014 12:07 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  You are leaning toward Christianity because you can't even understand what atheism is. Atheists make zero claims about a god, otherwise we would have to be the ones proving it. You can't prove a negative, it's basic logic.

You can't proof a negative but you still have to make a claim.

Look, you can't just sit on the sidelines saying "No, that's not it. No, not that either. Nope, reject."

You (as in WillHopp you) believe there is no God. What is the evidence for NOT believing?

And if the evidence boils down to "well, the other side(s) haven't made their case" then YOU are making a faith based claim too.

You haven't POSITIVELY proven that God doesn't exist.

You just simply rejected the claims made and then based on those rejections made a leap of faith that God doesn't exist.
09-02-2014, 12:14 AM
(09-02-2014 12:07 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 12:04 AM)fmudd Wrote:  So what is your claim; if you make a claim at all?

Here is my (not my friend's claim) so that we are fair and everyone's cards are on the table. I don't know for sure, but I am leaning towards Christianity at the moment.

You are leaning toward Christianity because you can't even understand what atheism is. Atheists make zero claims about a god, otherwise we would have to be the ones proving it. You can't prove a negative, it's basic logic.

Personally I'd be leaning towards Aphrodite.

Did you notice the jump from deism to a particular brand of theism?

I smell troll.