What is the general opinion on the existence of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2016, 09:43 AM
What is the general opinion on the existence of Jesus?
I noticed there was some arguments going on about the existence of him, I don't want a debate to happen but generally speaking among atheists is he believed to have exist or to not have? Why do you think he existed or didn't? Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2016, 09:53 AM
RE: What is the general opinion on the existence of Jesus?
(16-05-2016 09:43 AM)Holle03 Wrote:  I noticed there was some arguments going on about the existence of him, I don't want a debate to happen but generally speaking among atheists is he believed to have exist or to not have? Why do you think he existed or didn't? Cool

I know you asked for the opinions of atheists... but... I just feel like throwing in my two-cents.

Jesus seems to be a composite character, probably based loosely on a real person. The Talmud records things about this guy and I generally have trouble believing that Jews would want to say anything about him at all given that Christians would review their texts, burn what they didn't like, and raze Jewish villages because they thought the Jews were "christ killers". Why would the Jews retain something in their Talmud that's going to give them that much grief if they didn't believe it to be true?

A reading of the NT with a comprehensive understanding of Jewish culture in mind reveals how much Christians added to and embellished the stories to appeal to a Roman audience. This is why I think Jesus is basically the Paul Bunyan of his time.
[+] 16 users Like Aliza's post
16-05-2016, 09:59 AM
(16-05-2016 09:53 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Jesus seems to be a composite character, probably based loosely on a real person.

That's pretty much what I think too. I remember reading a lot about it in the past and I read about this theory that maybe there was no one Jesus, since there were many claiming to be "the Messiah" during his time, so whoever wrote about him made up a personality based on one or more of those claiming so.

There is no mention of him in any text written during his lifetime, so whoever the real person was, he was probably not very significant.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
16-05-2016, 10:12 AM
(16-05-2016 09:59 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 09:53 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Jesus seems to be a composite character, probably based loosely on a real person.

That's pretty much what I think too. I remember reading a lot about it in the past and I read about this theory that maybe there was no one Jesus, since there were many claiming to be "the Messiah" during his time, so whoever wrote about him made up a personality based on one or more of those claiming so.

There is no mention of him in any text written during his lifetime, so whoever the real person was, he was probably not very significant.

I think Jesus is based on a primary person, with lots of other stuff poured into the mix. I do believe that there were Jews who thought he was the messiah, but I would have to imagine that they thought he was the Jewish messiah, not the Christian messiah.

Add to that, all of the Jews depicted in the NT are woefully under educated about Jewish religion and culture -Paul being the most glaring example of poor Jewish education. The other guys probably had a very broad, general understanding of what to expect from the messiah, and legitimately thought Jesus fit the bill.

I think all this shit about raising people from the dead and walking on water came about much, much later.
[+] 8 users Like Aliza's post
16-05-2016, 10:14 AM
My own feeling is that Jesus' actual, historical existence is irrelevant. The effect of "his" religion is all that matters. The one cannot be proven one way or the other, while the other can be easily demonstrated. What's the point in arguing or worrying about it?

Oh crap!
[+] 2 users Like jabeady's post
16-05-2016, 10:15 AM
I'm so glad I don't have to answer this now.

Thanks Aliza!!!!

Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Without going through the bother of asking every atheist in the world, here's my opinion:

A majority of atheists probably believe there was a real historical person behind the "Jesus" character of the New Testament. The "Jesus never existed" crowd is a minority.

On the other hand, 100% of atheists, even if they do believe that some Jesus existed, believe that he was most definitely not God, and that the Gospel accounts are considerably embellished.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
16-05-2016, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2016 11:57 AM by Leo.)
There is 2 jesuuussss. The real Jesus and the legendary Jesus of the gospels. The legendary Jesus never existed. And the real Jesus , some first century Jewish rabbi executed by the Romans because of sedition. Some Gentiles followers of Jesus started the Jesus facts ( similar to the Chuck Norris facts Wink) around the time the gospels were written and viola the legendary Jesus was born. The Jesus facts are clearly pagans ideas. Gods impregnating virgin humans girls and Gods being incarnated as humans are obviously gentile pagan ideas.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 3 users Like Leo's post
16-05-2016, 11:59 AM
I agree with other posters, Jesus was most likely a real person, a Jewish rabbi who may have also been the son of a carpenter. After his death many "facts" about his life were actually copied and plagiarized from other religious deities to add some legitimacy. The virgin birth, the miracles he performed, his death and resurrection were not unique but many of the first Christians either didn't know that or didn't care. His life story was also probably mixed up with one or two other important figures from that time. He wasn't God or the son of God, or magical, he was just a man.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
16-05-2016, 12:07 PM
(16-05-2016 11:59 AM)SitaSky Wrote:  He wasn't God or the son of God, or magical, he was just a man.
He's a man, he's just a man, and I've had so many men before in very many ways.

Wait... Never mind.

Oh crap!
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post