What is the general opinion on the existence of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2016 07:15 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: What is the general opinion on the existence of Jesus?
(24-05-2016 06:18 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Bla bla bal bla bla

The job of the messiah was to get the kingdom restored, as even the apostles were make to say, in Acts.
He didn't get it done. Myth or not. So someone had to cook up Christianity.

All the rest is Tommy Boy bullshit.
What are you doing here again ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-05-2016, 07:50 AM
(24-05-2016 07:06 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 06:18 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Bla bla bal bla bla

The job of the messiah was to get the kingdom restored, as even the apostles were make to say, in Acts.
He didn't get it done. Myth or not. So someone had to cook up Christianity.

All the rest is Tommy Boy bullshit.
What are you doing here again ?

No, if Jesus didn't exist someone wouldn't have to cook up Christianity, someone would have to cook it up if he did exist, and some unexpected circumstances led to his messianic failing, i.e getting strung up by the Romans, being born somewhere other than where the messiah was expected to born at, etc...

Quote:The job of the messiah was to get the kingdom restored, as even the apostles were make to say, in Acts.

Some jews believed that's what the messiah would do, other early jews didn't think that at all. The messiah they were expecting, as understood by them, wasn't gonna be restoring any earthly kingdom. These others jews, believed that the messiah would be restoring a spiritual kingdom, not an earthly one.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
24-05-2016, 07:58 AM
(24-05-2016 07:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, if Jesus didn't exist someone wouldn't have to cook up Christianity,

Non sequitur Facepalm

Quote:someone would have to cook it up if he did exist, and some unexpected circumstances led to his messianic failing, i.e getting strung up by the Romans, being born somewhere other than where the messiah was expected to born at, etc...

You forgot the "why" and "evidence" parts, you amateur.
Bullshit. Christianities were not "inevitable".
More bullshit assertion, and no support.

Quote:Some jews believed that's what the messiah would do, other early jews didn't think that at all. The messiah they were expecting, as understood by them, wasn't gonna be restoring any earthly kingdom. These others jews, believed that the messiah would be restoring a spiritual kingdom, not an earthly one.

Prove it. The apostles were not. Why would he pick from the group that didn't buy into his scenario ?

And BTW, WHAT. THE. FUCK. is an "early Jew" ? FacepalmWeepingFacepalm

I think little Tommy Boy is sounding VERY desperate here. He knows even his bullshit is wearing thin.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-05-2016, 08:07 AM
(24-05-2016 07:58 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 07:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, if Jesus didn't exist someone wouldn't have to cook up Christianity,

Non sequitur Facepalm

Quote:someone would have to cook it up if he did exist, and some unexpected circumstances led to his messianic failing, i.e getting strung up by the Romans, being born somewhere other than where the messiah was expected to born at, etc...

You forgot the "why" and "evidence" parts, you amateur.
Bullshit. Christianities were not "inevitable".
More bullshit assertion, and no support.

Quote:Some jews believed that's what the messiah would do, other early jews didn't think that at all. The messiah they were expecting, as understood by them, wasn't gonna be restoring any earthly kingdom. These others jews, believed that the messiah would be restoring a spiritual kingdom, not an earthly one.

Prove it. The apostles were not. Why would he pick from the group that didn't buy into his scenario ?

And BTW, WHAT. THE. FUCK. is an "early Jew" ? FacepalmWeepingFacepalm

I think little Tommy Boy is sounding VERY desperate here. He knows even his bullshit is wearing thin.

TommyBoy presupposes that Christianity is a constant that was destined to arise, he needs no evidence to support this religious belief.

But he does seem desperate to present it as anything other than faith. Why is that TommyBoy? Do you believe that a faith-based belief is an inherently weak one? Especially when compared to an evidence-based belief?

The non-sequitir is actually fucking hilarious. TommyBoy claims that if Jesus didn't exist, but Christianity does, then it means that Jesus had to exist because Christianity could not possibly be a fraud or myth or fiction.

If that is the case, my new messiah is Spiderman. Laugh out load

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
24-05-2016, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2016 09:05 AM by Commonsensei.)
(24-05-2016 07:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, if Jesus didn't exist someone wouldn't have to cook up Christianity, someone would have to cook it up if he did exist, and some unexpected circumstances led to his messianic failing, i.e getting strung up by the Romans, being born somewhere other than where the messiah was expected to born at, etc...

Come on Tomasia. You're smarter than that.

That's like saying if the force didn't exist that the Jedi Church wouldn't have been founded.

http://www.jedichurch.org/

Or If Xenu didn't drop the H-bombs in the volcanoes humanity, Scientology wouldn't have come about.

Regions arise all the time. Even in modern days. And they don't always need a source based in reality to build their beliefs on.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
24-05-2016, 08:35 AM
(24-05-2016 08:23 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Come on Tomasia. You're smarter than that.

No.....no he really isn't. It takes a ton to get me to really find someone unintelligent but Tom does it time and time again.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
24-05-2016, 09:40 AM
(24-05-2016 08:35 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 08:23 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Come on Tomasia. You're smarter than that.

No.....no he really isn't. It takes a ton to get me to really find someone unintelligent but Tom does it time and time again.

I'm not sure "unintelligent" is fair. He's clearly quite bright. The issue is that his brain is so overloaded with pre-set filters from the religion memes he's picked up that he can't process information from a neutral standpoint, and is unable to apply the reasoning that he would apply to other similar religious claims to his own.

It is we who have failed to reinstall his skepticism "immune system" to help him fight against those memes that destroy the processing centers of the brain in order to propagate themselves.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
24-05-2016, 09:42 AM
(24-05-2016 09:40 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 08:35 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  No.....no he really isn't. It takes a ton to get me to really find someone unintelligent but Tom does it time and time again.

I'm not sure "unintelligent" is fair. He's clearly quite bright. The issue is that his brain is so overloaded with pre-set filters from the religion memes he's picked up that he can't process information from a neutral standpoint, and is unable to apply the reasoning that he would apply to other similar religious claims to his own.

His reasoning ability is impaired by those preconceptions.

Quote:It is we who have failed to reinstall his skepticism "immune system" to help him fight against those memes that destroy the processing centers of the brain in order to propagate themselves.

Not our failure. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
24-05-2016, 09:45 AM
(23-05-2016 02:06 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 11:00 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  A historical jesus is no more relevant to xtianity than a historical Thor was to Norse mythology.

Except that the messiah would of had to have been a historical person. It would be quite difficult to understand the NT, early christianity, absent of a historical messiah. his followers already had to deal with his humiliating death, now we have to deal with non-existing one too? In that case perhaps it wasn't a humiliating death, perhaps the creators of this Jesus, clearly saw all the events that transpired as part OT scripture, built their story on these expectations.

Ridiculous. Tell me, do you also believe that 'god' sent an angel to dictate the koran to mohammed in a cave while he slept? If not, why not. IT is no more absurd than the bullshit you profess. People believe stories for lots of reasons.

I suggest you read Carrier. No one needs it more than you.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
24-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Prophesy :
He's gonna say he did read Carrier. He can't argue any of the points, but he claims to have read him already.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post