What is the general opinion on the existence of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2016, 05:19 PM
RE: What is the general opinion on the existence of Jesus?
(01-06-2016 11:12 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  So, Bucky, what was the Jewish God. Was he an effervescence? A flying phallus? Maybe a mere chemera? Or was he a real corporeal being existing somewhere?

It's "chimera" and it does not mean what you seem to think it means. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-06-2016, 09:10 AM
O.o

Using the bible to justify belief in a real Jesus? No. Sorry, that don't fly. That's like trying to use Harry Potter to justify belief in wizards. I know it is shocking, but I don't necessarily believe ANYTHING that I only hear about in books. I need independent corroboration.

Two writers in a religious tradition with clear agendas? Not exactly independent. That isn't sufficient.

Doesn't the gospels say Jesus was kicked out of cities, prohibited from entering? Why are there no records of this? Why no official announcements? Why no notes from the governor? Why no notes from the historians who were living there at the time? It is reasonable to believe that this did not happen.

If you want to posit a magical Jew preacher then you have to give reason for this. There is NO REASON to believe that. And that is granting that there were apocalyptic preachers in the area at the time. The Jesus that you would be left with would likely be one of the raving lunatics mentioned by Horace. Are you OK with that?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
02-06-2016, 01:25 PM
The historian Josephus clearly said he existed. It's only later revisionism which is now saying he was mythical.

I don't say he was a god. What I say is he was a prince of one of the feudal dynasties of the region.

Magical? Maybe he knew some magic tricks but I haven't said anything of the sort. I just say that there are at least three writers now writing about an Izates who corresponds in some significant ways with the Jesus character.
02-06-2016, 01:29 PM
(01-06-2016 05:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 09:34 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  No one is murdering anyone in George Washington's name. The U.S. military. Drinking Beverage
No one is molesting children and raping women in George Washington's name.
No one is collecting tithes and monies to support their own parasitic lifestyles in George Washington's name. U.S. Senators and Representatives. Drinking Beverage
No one is starting wars in George Washington's name. The governement of the U.S. Drinking Beverage
No one is tormenting children with threats of eternal damnation in George Washington's name.

And?
02-06-2016, 01:34 PM
(01-06-2016 05:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 11:12 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  So, Bucky, what was the Jewish God. Was he an effervescence? A flying phallus? Maybe a mere chemera? Or was he a real corporeal being existing somewhere?

It's "chimera" and it does not mean what you seem to think it means. Drinking Beverage

Gee Chas. Thanks for pointing out the typo. You are invaluable.

So. I don't know what Chimera means?

You bozo.

The Chimera is a plume of gas which emerges from the ground and combusts and was seen at sea by sailors who thought it was a mystical creature. It gives rise to the use of the word as meaning an apparition.

Keep your fatuous comments to yourself you idiot.
02-06-2016, 01:41 PM
(02-06-2016 01:25 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  The historian Josephus clearly said he existed. It's only later revisionism which is now saying he was mythical.

I don't say he was a god. What I say is he was a prince of one of the feudal dynasties of the region.

Magical? Maybe he knew some magic tricks but I haven't said anything of the sort. I just say that there are at least three writers now writing about an Izates who corresponds in some significant ways with the Jesus character.

Most commentators who are not Christian apologists think that the "Jesus" passages in Josephus were clearly interpolated later by Christians. So it's dubious that Josephus said anything about Jesus.
02-06-2016, 01:41 PM
(02-06-2016 01:34 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Keep your fatuous comments to yourself you idiot.

Laugh out load Your lack of self-awareness is noted.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-06-2016, 01:42 PM
BB is plainly a fraud. Bible Boy.

I have posted from Jewish history about a character whose name is the same as that of Jesus but who lived at a later time. This historical character lived before any of the earliest records of the publication of the New Testament so there is no reason his life could not have formed the basis of the Jesus story.

Why would someone studying theology come here? Why would an atheist study theology?

I find that baffling.
02-06-2016, 01:42 PM
(02-06-2016 01:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 01:34 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Keep your fatuous comments to yourself you idiot.

Laugh out load Your lack of self-awareness is noted.

Good for you, moron.

I like your choice of smilie. A chucklehead which is what you are.
02-06-2016, 01:48 PM
(02-06-2016 01:42 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  BB is plainly a fraud. Bible Boy.

I have posted from Jewish history about a character whose name is the same as that of Jesus but who lived at a later time. This historical character lived before any of the earliest records of the publication of the New Testament so there is no reason his life could not have formed the basis of the Jesus story.

Why would someone studying theology come here? Why would an atheist study theology?

I find that baffling.

Since you are only (an unfortunate) occasional stop by here, don't even know where to find the papers I've written here, of course you wouldn't know. The answers to those questions were provided years ago.

No one cares what an old dot connecting fart, such as yourself finds baffling.
You can connect any old dots, and cook up any answer, certainly.
I've more than proven myself here.

Go fuck yourself.

With a cactus.

Sideways.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.