What is the general opinion on the existence of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2016, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2016 05:10 PM by Aliza.)
RE: What is the general opinion on the existence of Jesus?
(16-05-2016 03:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 02:43 PM)Aliza Wrote:  So you're telling me that Paul wasn't the writer of Hebrews? Then who the fuck is Paul? Whoever wrote that didn't have even the most rudimentary grasp of Judaism.

Oh, Matthew and Luke are fakes too. I don't know all the books in the NT, but everywhere I that I read screams forgery.

The writer of Hebrews doesn't even claim to be Paul, it's author is unknown, it's been attributed later on by the Church to Paul, but the style, theological focuses, etc of writing as modern scholar would point out are distinct from the authentic Pauline epistles, making Pauline authorship unlikely.

Everything I've ever read from the NT indicates that Christianity is supposed to have organically grown out of Judaism, and that this was a religion originally endorsed by educated Jews.

But that's a load of shit. The NT is a rewrite of several Pagan religions and bears no resemblance to Judaism what-so-ever. Christians love to use the term "Judeo-Christian" but there is nothing Judeo about their religion at all, and there is most certainly nothing Christian about Judaism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
16-05-2016, 04:56 PM
(16-05-2016 04:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 04:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Says who ? Is that Tomasia Rule 1 ?
It's " 'then" your argument is likely to etc". More ill stated generalizations and no facts. There is not a shred of evidence that non-believers are more receptive to this subject, than other groups, (or you have presented none). You, for one, have never presented one valid argument, either way.

Yes, non-believers are more receptive to arguments unfavorable to religion, than believers, duh. If atheist mythicist and ahistoricist can't even convince their peers, they have little hope in convincing anyone else.

Prove it. You know this how ? I never said I came down on one side. YOU were simply unable to present ANY argument.

*As if* we're supposed to take assertions with no evidence from the likes of one who can't write a sentence in English. Nice try (sigh) at yet again, moving the goal posts. It's not about who convinces whom, better. Nice try though. Boringly predictable.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-05-2016, 04:59 PM
(16-05-2016 04:51 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 03:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The writer of Hebrews doesn't even claim to be Paul, it's author is unknown, it's been attributed later on by the Church to Paul, but the style, theological focuses, etc of writing as modern scholar would point out are distinct from the authentic Pauline epistles, making Pauline authorship unlikely.

Everything I've ever read from the NT indicates that Christianity is supposed to have organically grown out of Judaism, and that this was an religion originally endorsed by educated Jews.

But that's a load of shit. The NT is a rewrite of several Pagan religions and bears no resemblance to Judaism what-so-ever. Christians love to use the term "Judeo-Christian" but there is nothing Judeo about their religion at all, and there is most certainly nothing Christian about Judaism.

And there's nothing "Abrahamic" about Islam, (except he flew his donkey in that general direction.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-05-2016, 05:10 PM
(duplicate post)
17-05-2016, 06:02 AM
(16-05-2016 04:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yes, non-believers are more receptive to arguments unfavorable to religion, than believers, duh. If atheist mythicist and ahistoricist can't even convince their peers, they have little hope in convincing anyone else.

Even if this is true, why does it matter? Does reality somehow flip when a certain critical proportion of people believe it?

You're discussing believability while trying to imply that you're discussing truth.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
17-05-2016, 06:03 AM
(16-05-2016 04:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 04:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yes, non-believers are more receptive to arguments unfavorable to religion, than believers, duh. If atheist mythicist and ahistoricist can't even convince their peers, they have little hope in convincing anyone else.

Prove it. You know this how ? I never said I came down on one side. YOU were simply unable to present ANY argument.

lol, says the guy whose mind is so muddy that he's unable to recognize that non-believers are more receptive to arguments unfavorable to religion, than the religious.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
17-05-2016, 06:07 AM
(16-05-2016 04:51 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 03:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The writer of Hebrews doesn't even claim to be Paul, it's author is unknown, it's been attributed later on by the Church to Paul, but the style, theological focuses, etc of writing as modern scholar would point out are distinct from the authentic Pauline epistles, making Pauline authorship unlikely.

Everything I've ever read from the NT indicates that Christianity is supposed to have organically grown out of Judaism, and that this was a religion originally endorsed by educated Jews.

That may be a tad strong as the first Christians were Jews. The Christians retained the holy books of Judaism while adding the incoherent Christian theology on top of it.

The Christian mind requires, however, strong compartmentalization to wall off the clanging cognitive dissonance that results from simultaneously believing in the dreadful OT God and the redemptive NT Jesus.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-05-2016, 06:07 AM
(17-05-2016 06:02 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

Even if this is true, why does it matter? Does reality somehow flip when a certain critical proportion of people believe it?

You're discussing believability while trying to imply that you're discussing truth.

Context my friend, it would clear up a lot for you. It's about when we have to rethink our argument, and recognize that it's likely not a good one, when we might have to go back to the drawing board, after realizing we failed to convince an audience of our own peers, that are the most receptive to that argument.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
17-05-2016, 06:10 AM
(17-05-2016 06:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  That may be a tad strong as the first Christians were Jews. The Christians retained the holy books of Judaism while adding the incoherent Christian theology on top of it.

The Christian mind requires, however, strong compartmentalization to wall off the clanging cognitive dissonance that results from simultaneously believing in the dreadful OT God and the redemptive NT Jesus.

Would that apply to Jews who don't believe the OT God is dreadful? Which perhaps would be most observant Jews? Or just Christians.

17-05-2016, 06:12 AM
forgot to add this yesterday

[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post