What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2017, 06:47 AM
RE: What is the meaning of life for an atheist?
(04-05-2017 05:18 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 12:24 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > FYI: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Ravi_Zachar...dishonesty

Quote:These allegations of deceit have begun to raise concern in some Christian circles, such as the Christian Research Network.

Nevertheless, the allegations seem to have done little to harm Zacharias in the wider Christian community, even among academics who are aware of the allegations.

Facepalm

It's only if Zacharias becomes toxic that the allegations will be taken seriously. So what it'd take would be some sort of massive public shaming, for people to no longer want to be associated with him. Then you'd see all those wider Christian community and academics suddenly discover that they disagreed with him all along.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2017, 06:57 AM
What is the meaning of life for an atheist?
(03-05-2017 07:44 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 06:30 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Its not that unusual mate, I never use the internet to buy anything so you'd definitely find me haunting a book shop.

You may have missed the point. If Zombomatic scurries down to the B&N for Dawkins and some other dude, he only seems to have read the other dude who reinforces his god delusion. That seems to me a bit trollish. He really isn't interested in atheism.

Exactly. Lot of literal on this forum for sure. It's ok to be edgy and attempt humor occasionally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
04-05-2017, 07:00 AM
(04-05-2017 06:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 05:01 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Any atheist book is hard for lots of theists to read. I found it quite refreshing after years of being a closeted atheist. I think Dawkins was nowhere near as blunt as Hitchens in "God Is Not Great".

I am done with coddling the insecurities of theists. I don't mean I hate most humans, most 7 billion humans have some sort of club label. I am simply tired of coddling bad logic.

I get what you're saying, but if you'd read the God delusion as a *theist* (as the OP is), then... it'd be hard to get past Chapter 1. Which IMO is part of the problem - if atheists can't communicate properly then we're hardly justified in bitching when people don't agree with us.

"Properly", meaning " if you don't engage theists the way I like then you are doing it wrong.

No sorry, there is no one way to skin a cat. I do not think it is always good to avoid offending others. If you want to see what "never offend" looks like ask Ayaan Hirsi Ali who lived in countries where offending religion got you arrested or killed. Even in America we have right wing religious people still today trying to control the bodies of women and still trying to turn the clock back on minority voting rights and LGBT rights.

"Bitching" is nothing compared to being arrested or murdered. Now go back and read what I posted. I don't hate most of our 7 billion. I do think most of our 7 billion as a species are non violent and simply want to live their lives. But I am under no obligation to coddle any claims that advocate scientific absurdity, bigotry, homophobia or political oppression.

Our species only has one home, and in that context the world can be more diplomatic. But I refuse to play nice with my words with assholes. You have the right to make any claim you want, but I am under no obligation to remain silent never to respond to that claim.

I do love the empathy of liberals, I am a social and economic liberal myself. But no, "never" is not a tactic. My word choice depends on time place and context, not "never".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2017, 07:41 AM
(04-05-2017 06:57 AM)treefireguy Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 07:44 PM)Rachel Wrote:  You may have missed the point. If Zombomatic scurries down to the B&N for Dawkins and some other dude, he only seems to have read the other dude who reinforces his god delusion. That seems to me a bit trollish. He really isn't interested in atheism.

Exactly. Lot of literal on this forum for sure. It's ok to be edgy and attempt humor occasionally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Got ya Thumbsup
04-05-2017, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 10:12 AM by mordant.)
(04-05-2017 06:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 05:01 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Any atheist book is hard for lots of theists to read. I found it quite refreshing after years of being a closeted atheist. I think Dawkins was nowhere near as blunt as Hitchens in "God Is Not Great".

I am done with coddling the insecurities of theists. I don't mean I hate most humans, most 7 billion humans have some sort of club label. I am simply tired of coddling bad logic.
I get what you're saying, but if you'd read the God delusion as a *theist* (as the OP is), then... it'd be hard to get past Chapter 1. Which IMO is part of the problem - if atheists can't communicate properly then we're hardly justified in bitching when people don't agree with us.
I went through a period during and shortly after my deconversion where I had these concerns, and wondered why people couldn't just be erudite and dignified and all that.

Until I realized that humanity is so accustomed to religion's underserved / unearned deference and respect that we don't realize THEY aren't being erudite and dignified. They couch it in semi-deniable microagressions often, but they are just dick-waving assholes demanding that we make nice or face the consequences.

Dawkins / the four horsemen / New Atheism is simply a great big "fuck it" to this longstanding state of affairs that seeks to blow up the current regime of fake politeness and expose it for what it is.

I respect why some people want to distance themselves from it, as I once did, but I also understand the principled thinking behind embracing it.

Besides, with the constant drumbeat of tired and long-discredited "arguments" that believers come here and do drive-by postings about, it's understandable that patience has grown thin.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
04-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Demeaning of my life? I'm not allowed to say. Blush
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2017, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 04:47 PM by Cosmo.)
I'll dive down the rabbit hole just for fun. I feel like we're just here to experience the aspect of the Universe that is time. We make our own meaning, and life adapts as the universe changes so that it can consistently exist. We are a necessary part of the Universe. Not humans that is, but life. All and any life.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain

If all life in the Universe ceased to exist, I personally think one of the four dimensions could collapse (time, specifically) and the Universe would hit its end instantly or stretch out so that there is no continuum and everything is static. This is from one of my personal interpretations of Copenhagen quantum mechanics. Humans are becoming incredibly adapted creators of Universal phenomena via the expansion of our mental faculties, but ultimately we're still just running down the clock and transferring pertinent information about the Universe to the next generation. Of course, this is just speculation. A fun one though. It explains why we exist, follows physical laws about thermodynamics, relativity, information and matter, and allows for the seemingly endless freedom to explore and create our destiny that we have (Edited in: I suppose with exception of the exceedingly important random generations such as location, parentage and species. Confused)

It's kind of like the 'if a tree falls in the forest' question I guess, but expanded out to its ultimate existential roots. If all life in the Universe ceased instantly and at the same moment across spacetime fabric, would the Universe continue independently of the observer?

*Plunges further down the rabbit hole

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
06-05-2017, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 07:19 PM by Cosmo.)
I should also elaborate on that by noting that I actually have been considering the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics as potentially more viable as of recently, but that may end up neither here nor there 'cuz who really knows.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
06-05-2017, 06:18 PM
I know, but you're not going to like it. ~ Big Thought

"What is the meaning life?" can be taken many different ways.

1. Why are we here?
Well we are the result of millions of years of evolution. We are a collection of molecules that seemed to have gotten along long pretty well enough that they forum a basis for a thinking being. A collective of non-thinking, non-reasoning cells, that for lack of a better word "created" a thinking reasoning being. We found our selves on this planet because the conditions, and serious of random events have resulted in this planet being here has worked out for life to come about, and stick around. (Obviously i'm putting this mildly)

2. What is our purpose?
Purpose? We can be whipped out very easily, and life would continue on. 99% of the 5 billion species (that we know of) no longer have a purpose. Many of there short meaningless exsitances never intertwined with and homo-sapian ancestor. If anything we've done more harm then good to our environment. So if our purpose was to destory the planet. We're doing a bang up job.

3. What is the destiny of our lives?
I always love to imagine that our future was in the stars. May it was to be the first earth being to break away from this prison we call Earth. Not to say Earth is terriable i've grown quiet fond of her. But we are captives. And just because I feel that our destiny lies in the galexy. I know that is just fantiful thinking. In all likely hood we wont ever escape our solar system.

There is no end game. No grand skem. We are the weavers of our own destiny, our own fates. Give your own life it's own personal meaning. Because that's the closest you'll ever get to one.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
08-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Too many people responded to this obvious troll.

[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post