What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 04:12 AM
RE: What is the meaning of life for an atheist?
This is why, I think, most religious people think Atheist's are "dark" or "evil" because we think there isn't an outright "meaning" to life and no afterlife either, thus we're supposedly depressed or something.

Generally, from a logical stand point, there isn't a meaning of life at all, as all of the universe and our existence is basically a huge coincidence, and thus meaningless. BUT, that gives us a huge opportunity. Due to the fact we believe we're here at complete random AND that there is nothing after we die, it means that we have a finite amount of time to actually DO something with our lives.

Whether that means climbing mountains, becoming a sports/movie/tv star, moving in science/writing/art/whatever, Travel around the world or just raising a family, it means that we know for a pretty much near certain fact, that we only have like 80 years tops, (accounting for a reasonable natural life with no accidents), to get this shit done.

That's my take on it anyway.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
03-05-2017, 04:42 AM
It's common knowledge that the answer to life, the universe and everything - is 42.

Thumbsup

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 7 users Like onlinebiker's post
03-05-2017, 04:54 AM
"Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."

Oh, and some gratuitous pictures of penises, of course.

And, finally, here are some completely gratuitous pictures of penises to annoy the censors and to hopefully spark some sort of controversy, which, it seems, is the only way, these days, to get the jaded, video-sated public off their fucking arses and back in the sodding cinema. Family entertainment bollocks. What they want is filth: people doing things to each other with chainsaws during tupperware parties, babysitters being stabbed with knitting needles by gay presidential candidates, vigilante groups strangling chickens, armed bands of theatre critics exterminating mutant goats-- Where's the fun in pictures? Oh, well, there we are. Here's the theme music. Goodnight.

Can't say it's as grand as to just quit this dress rehearsal of a life religionists seem to lead and finally go on to be with god foreverz (read: grovel in a - supposedly - more "glorious" place, forever and ever, amen). But that's all *we*'ve got. Oh, this and trying to make THIS world better for EVERYONE. Because this is the ONLY world and only life we'll ever had and because we don't believe people are born unworthy sinners, who deserve to suffer, in order to learn, make up to for fictitious "sins" and be "worthy" of that god monstrosity born out of the darkest and vilest imaginings of our ignorant forefathers.

You know, meaningless, amoral, selfish things like these. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
03-05-2017, 05:00 AM
(02-05-2017 09:26 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Hi everyone.

I went to Barnes and Noble today to get a book about atheism, The God Delusion (by Richard Dawkins).

To balance it out, I also bought a book written by a Christian apologist, Ravi Zacharias.

In the Christian book, Ravi mentioned of a chemistry professor, Michael Polanyi, who stated that religion and art are the ones that give meaning to life, NOT science. Should science try to fill the role of giving meaning to mortal existence, it will lead to disaster.

What do you all think of this? What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

I also want to tell everyone that as of right now, I'm still a devoted Christian. But I am investigating more on atheism both to gain knowledge and to challenge my own beliefs.

In cosmic time in terms of the universe being 13.8 billion years old, there is no meaning. But while we are alive as individuals, life is what you make it.

Our species was around long before any human writing, much less any organized religion. Our planet is 4 billion year old, of which we have only been around in our current form for 150,000 years. Our planet has had 5 mass extinction events in that 4 billion years. Our universe has 100s of billions of galaxies. "all this" was not put here for humans. In 5 billion years our species will have long since gone extinct when our sun dies and our solar system too.

I am glad you are reading The God Delusion, I'd also recommend "God The Failed Hypothesis" and "The New Atheism" by the late Victor Stenger.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
03-05-2017, 05:01 AM
Also, for fuck's sake - it is NOT science OR religion. Science is not a fucking belief system. Science doesn't give meaning or anything else other than a better understanding of the universe. Science is a bloody method of gathering knowledge (which is one of the most meaningful goals there is, in and of itself) nothing more, nothing less.

Jeez!

You know, it's things like this make you sound like a proselytiser in disguise.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
03-05-2017, 05:06 AM
(03-05-2017 05:01 AM)Vera Wrote:  Also, for fuck's sake - it is NOT science OR religion. Science is not a fucking belief system.

That does make it sound like the religious fools who says this, don't "believe" science is a thing. Laugh out load

Science = "The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment"

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
03-05-2017, 05:15 AM
(02-05-2017 09:26 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  To balance it out, I also bought a book written by a Christian apologist, Ravi Zacharias.

You say you are already a devoted Christian so that's not balancing thing out, that's ensuring that you have the scales weighted on the side of belief.

Quote:In the Christian book, Ravi mentioned of a chemistry professor, Michael Polanyi, who stated that religion and art are the ones that give meaning to life, NOT science. Should science try to fill the role of giving meaning to mortal existence, it will lead to disaster.

Atheists can and do appreciate art in all forms. Many, if not most, also stand in awe at the beauty and intricacies of the universe on all scales. We can look at a rainbow and see not only a span of ethereal colors but imagine the millions of water droplets and the refraction of the light rays and appreciate the rainbow on a much deeper level than somebody who doesn't know how it works. We can look up on a starry night and see not only a scattering of lights but imagine the immense distances between them and the possible planets around them and "see" a great deal more than simply meets the eye.

Science doesn't detract from life, knowledge enhances life.

Did the apologist explain exactly how science would lead to disaster or did he merely make vague claims about understanding things taking away the "magic"? Do you think you'd make better decisions if you base them on how things really work or on not knowing what you are doing? Your apologist is arguing from a position of ignorance and either doesn't know what they are talking about or is intentionally trying to keep you from thinking.

Quote:What do you all think of this? What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

Whatever he or she wants it to be. What is the meaning of life for a theist? Grovelling and praising some absolute dictator who denies you the use of your mind?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
03-05-2017, 05:24 AM
(02-05-2017 09:26 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Hi everyone.

I went to Barnes and Noble today to get a book about atheism, The God Delusion (by Richard Dawkins).

To balance it out, I also bought a book written by a Christian apologist, Ravi Zacharias.

In the Christian book, Ravi mentioned of a chemistry professor, Michael Polanyi, who stated that religion and art are the ones that give meaning to life, NOT science. Should science try to fill the role of giving meaning to mortal existence, it will lead to disaster.

What do you all think of this? What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

I also want to tell everyone that as of right now, I'm still a devoted Christian. But I am investigating more on atheism both to gain knowledge and to challenge my own beliefs.

Atheist meaning to life: You get to choose your own meaning or purpose.

Theist meaning to life: A deity chooses it for you.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
03-05-2017, 05:28 AM
My life may not have meaning, but it has had an impact. Since 1990 I've helped with the professional development of the US military officers corps and doing one of the jobs that I did in the military as a civilian consultant. I thus continued serving my country in a career that started with the USN in 1969. And I had fun doing it.

I'm good with that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
03-05-2017, 05:31 AM
(03-05-2017 05:24 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Atheist meaning to life: You get to choose your own meaning or purpose.

Theist meaning to life: A deity chooses it for you.

I would dare say:

Theist meaning to life: a deity demands you spend your life praising them through fear of not being on the list for the eternal night club in the sky Cool

[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post