What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 05:36 AM
RE: What is the meaning of life for an atheist?
I recently reread Dawkins book and found it once again refreshing.

There is only one meaning for life and that is to procreate, thus continuing the survival of the species.

How you live your particular life gives it meaning to you.

When xians speak of "meaning" they speak of some grand plan that their deity had an eon ago that somehow involves only this one planet in the whole of the Universe. Why that gives meaning to anything is beyond me.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2017, 05:38 AM
(03-05-2017 05:01 AM)Vera Wrote:  Also, for fuck's sake - it is NOT science OR religion. Science is not a fucking belief system. Science doesn't give meaning or anything else other than a better understanding of the universe. Science is a bloody method of gathering knowledge (which is one of the most meaningful goals there is, in and of itself) nothing more, nothing less.

Jeez!

You know, it's things like this make you sound like a proselytiser in disguise.

No shit. I agree. I do get tired of theists trying to paint "off" which is what "atheist" means, as if it was some secret Batman villain layer club.

My mom died in May, and what really irritated me was the Hospice lady kept saying "belief system" regarding me. I needed support dealing with her decline and death, I didn't need her saying ignorant shit and it was all I could do not to scream at her.

No we are not a club, we are not a political party, we are not a religion. ANY theist who reads this READ AND READ UNTIL you get the following.

We are diverse in our classes, we are diverse in our economic views and political views. I am an atheist, but I am no fan of Ayn Rand's "fuck you I got mine" economic view. I am an atheist, but also don't like other atheists who think Che who lead to Castro's Cuba, who think Che was a hero.

Atheists have left every religion you can think of worldwide. There are atheist groups based in India. There are Mexican atheists. There are former Muslims from both Iran and Saudi Arabia. There are black atheists too. There are atheists who voted for Trump, atheists who voted for Obama, atheists who voted for Jill Stein. I've seen this past election cycle atheists fight each other blaming Bernie and Hillary pointing fingers at each other.

The only thing atheists have in common is "off" on god claims. Outside that if you want to know what our position is you have to be specific and ask the individual. We are not a gang.

No theists, "atheist" IS NOT a belief system.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post
03-05-2017, 05:45 AM
(03-05-2017 05:31 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 05:24 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Atheist meaning to life: You get to choose your own meaning or purpose.

Theist meaning to life: A deity chooses it for you.

I would dare say:

Theist meaning to life: a deity demands you spend your life praising them through fear of not being on the list for the eternal night club in the sky Cool

"...eternal monastery in the sky..." would be the correct version. Heaven seems horribly boring.
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
03-05-2017, 05:48 AM
(03-05-2017 05:38 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  "atheist" IS NOT a belief system.

That, above, is essentially what Atheism is, that we don't believe in anything of that nature, so by proxy Atheism Isn't a belief system, because it just means "non-Theist" lol.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
03-05-2017, 05:49 AM
What is life ?
What does does it mean to be alive ?
What is the point to living ?
What goals do we have in life or some would ask what goals should we have in life ?

While we are alive, we get to experience this wonderful world. We strive to survive in it for as long as we can. That struggle to survive long enough to engage in sex so that the next generation is born helps to ensure our continued existence as a species.

The point to life is in acknowledging our mortality and doing those things between birth and death that bring us joy and attempt to reduce harm to our well being.

The meaning of life is in the living of it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
03-05-2017, 05:50 AM
(03-05-2017 05:49 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  What is life ?
What does does it mean to be alive ?
What is the point to living ?
What goals do we have in life or some would ask what goals should we have in life ?

While we are alive, we get to experience this wonderful world. We strive to survive in it for as long as we can. That struggle to survive long enough to engage in sex so that the next generation is born helps to ensure our continued existence as a species.

The point to life is in acknowledging our mortality and doing those things between birth and death that bring us joy and attempt to reduce harm to our well being.

The meaning of life is in the living of it.
You might as well ask those questions of the life of a gorilla.
03-05-2017, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2017 06:02 AM by Vera.)
(03-05-2017 05:38 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  No shit. I agree. I do get tired of theists trying to paint "off" which is what "atheist" means, as if it was some secret Batman villain layer club.

My mom died in May, and what really irritated me was the Hospice lady kept saying "belief system" regarding me. I needed support dealing with her decline and death, I didn't need her saying ignorant shit and it was all I could do not to scream at her.

No we are not a club, we are not a political party, we are not a religion. ANY theist who reads this READ AND READ UNTIL you get the following.

We are diverse in our classes, we are diverse in our economic views and political views. I am an atheist, but I am no fan of Ayn Rand's "fuck you I got mine" economic view. I am an atheist, but also don't like other atheists who think Che who lead to Castro's Cuba, who think Che was a hero.

Atheists have left every religion you can think of worldwide. There are atheist groups based in India. There are Mexican atheists. There are former Muslims from both Iran and Saudi Arabia. There are black atheists too. There are atheists who voted for Trump, atheists who voted for Obama, atheists who voted for Jill Stein. I've seen this past election cycle atheists fight each other blaming Bernie and Hillary pointing fingers at each other.

The only thing atheists have in common is "off" on god claims. Outside that if you want to know what our position is you have to be specific and ask the individual. We are not a gang.

No theists, "atheist" IS NOT a belief system.

Indeed. Are religious people truly this ignorant or just (most of) the ones who come here? And how is someone else (whom you've never met, seen or heard from, unless you're especially sick and have hallucinations) choosing a "meaning" for you in any way, shape or form something you can not only accept, but feel grateful for...

Oh, I forget, what it ALL really boils down to is not this immense love they supposedly have for Jesus, Allah and who have you, but their inability to accept their own finiteness, insignificance to the Universe and the fact that there will come a day when they will be completely and irrevocably gone from it. The ego is a harsh master.

[Image: db1981768f01ba064d8a256ce4a48a51.jpg]

(Oh, and then there's that "devoted" Xtian bit. Repeated every bloody time. Who exactly is OP trying to score points with? Making sure they do not piss skydaddy too much by talking to this abominable hellfire-fodder or what? You're either a believer in Bronze Age mythology or not, devoted is superfluous and rather ridiculous)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 7 users Like Vera's post
03-05-2017, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2017 01:38 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(03-05-2017 03:55 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  You also should consider the difference between absolute and relative purposes. Religions seek to impose some absolute purpose on humans, something supposedly true for all humans at all times, but can't prove it really exists. On the other hand, we are immersed in any number of relative purposes on a daily basis, which keep us fully occupied and are really all we need.

I would like to add this to my previous response: we all have relative purposes and in fact can't avoid them. So when some religious people say other people's lives are meaningless without their kinds of beliefs, they are actually parroting an untrue, thought-terminating cliche.

This kind of thing is a repeated problem with religious people. They exaggerate their own importance and demean others, often without realizing they are even doing so. They almost inevitably lie about other people in the process.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
03-05-2017, 06:02 AM
I'm not sure you're being candid about your reasons for being on this site...there's a nasty whiff of proselytization.

However, on the chance that you're sincere: there's no such thing as an objective meaning of life. All meanings, including those assigned by religions to their gods, are human constructions. So what? Things don't need to apply at an absolute level to be meaningful on the relative/subjective level. Relative is all we've got, if we're intellectually honest.

That said, it's worthwhile at some points in your life to figure out the guiding principles that give personal meaning to your life. Better that you make your meanings than having some preacher do it for you.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
03-05-2017, 06:11 AM
This seems to represent the problem with binary religious thinking. Either something has objective value, or no value. This simply isn't true.

And often, objective is confused with external. If some dude made all this and has a "purpose" in mind for it, that is his subjective purpose for it. For someone inside the reality, it may serve a different purpose. For another guy outside it, they may view it in some way as having another purpose. Simply saying, "Well, the creator's purpose is most important" is just arbitrary. Purpose is not an inherent property of things. Things are just things.

So it's more correct/honest to ask if our reality (and life within it) was created with a purpose in mind. Maybe, maybe not. If it was created, it may serve no greater purpose than some amusement. Or it could have been created accidentally. Either way, who cares? Why must we try to align ourselves with this creator's ideas, even if we could determine them? If someone needs to be told what to do, they just haven't grown up yet.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post