What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 06:12 AM
RE: What is the meaning of life for an atheist?
(03-05-2017 06:02 AM)julep Wrote:  I'm not sure you're being candid about your reasons for being on this site...there's a nasty whiff of proselytization.

Rather like a fart in an elevator. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
03-05-2017, 06:20 AM
Simple illustration: the purpose of this iPad, for me, is to make use of the applications on it to various ends.

If someone else picks it up, the purpose if it to them might be to prop a door open with it, to keep a drink on it or to take it apart and try and understand how it works.

The iPad just "is". It's a configuration of matter, just like us. Any purpose is projected from an intelligence. It doesn't get infused with a singular purpose by someone who crafted it in a certain way. They just have their own idea of what it could do.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
03-05-2017, 07:13 AM
(03-05-2017 06:02 AM)julep Wrote:  I'm not sure you're being candid about your reasons for being on this site...there's a nasty whiff of proselytization.

However, on the chance that you're sincere: there's no such thing as an objective meaning of life. All meanings, including those assigned by religions to their gods, are human constructions. So what? Things don't need to apply at an absolute level to be meaningful on the relative/subjective level. Relative is all we've got, if we're intellectually honest.

That said, it's worthwhile at some points in your life to figure out the guiding principles that give personal meaning to your life. Better that you make your meanings than having some preacher do it for you.

I smell it too. That’s why my replies on the two threads created by Zombytrollization have been dismissive. Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
03-05-2017, 07:34 AM
(03-05-2017 07:13 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  

However, on the chance that you're sincere: there's no such thing as an objective meaning of life. All meanings, including those assigned by religions to their gods, are human constructions. So what? Things don't need to apply at an absolute level to be meaningful on the relative/subjective level. Relative is all we've got, if we're intellectually honest.

That said, it's worthwhile at some points in your life to figure out the guiding principles that give personal meaning to your life. Better that you make your meanings than having some preacher do it for you.

I smell it too. That’s why my replies on the two threads created by Zombytrollization have been dismissive. Dodgy

5 posts total: three of them creating threads. Only two replies interacting with forum members. Coy introductory thread promising more revelations to come.

Another true believer hoping to win converts through lying for Jesus. Wonder which Christian Apologetics 101 topic is up next?
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
03-05-2017, 07:37 AM
(03-05-2017 07:34 AM)julep Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 07:13 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I smell it too. That’s why my replies on the two threads created by Zombytrollization have been dismissive. Dodgy

5 posts total: three of them creating threads. Only two replies interacting with forum members. Coy introductory thread promising more revelations to come.

Another true believer hoping to win converts through lying for Jesus. Wonder which Christian Apologetics 101 topic is up next?

Where do atheists get their morals. Drinking Beverage

What came before the big bang. Drinking BeverageDrinking Beverage

Was Pascal's wager already covered? Drinking BeverageDrinking BeverageDrinking Beverage

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
03-05-2017, 07:41 AM
Cocks need cockmakers Drinking Beverage Drinking Beverage Drinking Beverage Drinking Beverage

Sorry, I meant clocks, of course Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
03-05-2017, 07:48 AM
(02-05-2017 09:26 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Hi everyone.

I went to Barnes and Noble today to get a book about atheism, The God Delusion (by Richard Dawkins).

To balance it out, I also bought a book written by a Christian apologist, Ravi Zacharias.

In the Christian book, Ravi mentioned of a chemistry professor, Michael Polanyi, who stated that religion and art are the ones that give meaning to life, NOT science. Should science try to fill the role of giving meaning to mortal existence, it will lead to disaster.

What do you all think of this? What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

I also want to tell everyone that as of right now, I'm still a devoted Christian. But I am investigating more on atheism both to gain knowledge and to challenge my own beliefs.

This is another theistic trend I don't understand. When was it ever established that meaning was an objective entity that depends upon God?

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
[+] 5 users Like Naielis's post
03-05-2017, 07:55 AM
Well, if this dude (or anyone) thinks that some sneaky preaching is going to convince anyone here of anything, they are sorely mistaken. It's just going to make them, and their religion, look stupid. I'm hoping it doesn't pan out that way.

It so happens that (in my estimation) the vast majority of the atheists here are also sceptics. And to convince a sceptic of anything, you need a coherent claim and then evidence for that claim. Know your audience!

Of course, if you're just looking to describe why you happen to believe something, then that's fine.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
03-05-2017, 08:01 AM
(03-05-2017 07:55 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Well, if this dude (or anyone) thinks that some sneaky preaching is going to convince anyone here of anything, they are sorely mistaken.

Speak for yourself....

Lecture_preist
Lecture_preist
Lecture_preistLecture_preistLecture_preistLecture_preist
Lecture_preist
Lecture_preist
Lecture_preist
Lecture_preist
Lecture_preist

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 4 users Like OakTree500's post
03-05-2017, 08:03 AM
(03-05-2017 07:55 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Well, if this dude (or anyone) thinks that some sneaky preaching is going to convince anyone here of anything, they are sorely mistaken. It's just going to make them, and their religion, look stupid. I'm hoping it doesn't pan out that way.

It so happens that (in my estimation) the vast majority of the atheists here are also sceptics. And to convince a sceptic of anything, you need a coherent claim and then evidence for that claim. Know your audience!

Of course, if you're just looking to describe why you happen to believe something, then that's fine.

Even the slick apologists under estimate atheists/skeptics.

I have seen the same tactics from followers of all the world's major religions.

The arguments are all the same.

1. I got it right
2. My holy writings say
3. My holy person says
4. My holy hero says
5. We have a long history
6. Science doesn't know everything
7. Science is correct when it points to my club

Theists underestimate skeptics then come in here and get shocked when we don't simply roll over.

Hard to pull one over on people who accept the age of the planet and universe.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post