What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2017 08:08 AM by julep.)
RE: What is the meaning of life for an atheist?
(03-05-2017 07:37 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 07:34 AM)julep Wrote:  5 posts total: three of them creating threads. Only two replies interacting with forum members. Coy introductory thread promising more revelations to come.

Another true believer hoping to win converts through lying for Jesus. Wonder which Christian Apologetics 101 topic is up next?

Where do atheists get their morals. Drinking Beverage

What came before the big bang. Drinking BeverageDrinking Beverage

Was Pascal's wager already covered? Drinking BeverageDrinking BeverageDrinking Beverage

Was Pascal's wager already covered?

But of course! Post #2.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
03-05-2017, 08:11 AM
(03-05-2017 08:03 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 07:55 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Well, if this dude (or anyone) thinks that some sneaky preaching is going to convince anyone here of anything, they are sorely mistaken. It's just going to make them, and their religion, look stupid. I'm hoping it doesn't pan out that way.

It so happens that (in my estimation) the vast majority of the atheists here are also sceptics. And to convince a sceptic of anything, you need a coherent claim and then evidence for that claim. Know your audience!

Of course, if you're just looking to describe why you happen to believe something, then that's fine.

Even the slick apologists under estimate atheists/skeptics.

I have seen the same tactics from followers of all the world's major religions.

The arguments are all the same.

1. I got it right
2. My holy writings say
3. My holy person says
4. My holy hero says
5. We have a long history
6. Science doesn't know everything
7. Science is correct when it points to my club

Theists underestimate skeptics then come in here and get shocked when we don't simply roll over.

Hard to pull one over on people who accept the age of the planet and universe.

Also, they take umbridge that we don't roll over for their particular brand of religion/woo. They use the same bullshit as every other woo peddler, so by the same logic, we should just believe what anyone else tells us too. Hopefully even preachers can see the problem there.

Scepticism filters out the (probably) real from the horse shit. People have been trying to build a foundation for religion/woo that will convince a sceptic for 2000 years or more, and have failed. Some random numpty on an internet forum is therefor really under the gun. It's amazing to see them brimming with confidence none-the-less, coming to tell us why the whole of the scientific community is wrong about everything.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2017, 08:16 AM
(03-05-2017 08:11 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 08:03 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Even the slick apologists under estimate atheists/skeptics.

I have seen the same tactics from followers of all the world's major religions.

The arguments are all the same.

1. I got it right
2. My holy writings say
3. My holy person says
4. My holy hero says
5. We have a long history
6. Science doesn't know everything
7. Science is correct when it points to my club

Theists underestimate skeptics then come in here and get shocked when we don't simply roll over.

Hard to pull one over on people who accept the age of the planet and universe.

Also, they take umbridge that we don't roll over for their particular brand of religion/woo. They use the same bullshit as every other woo peddler, so by the same logic, we should just believe what anyone else tells us too. Hopefully even preachers can see the problem there.

Scepticism filters out the (probably) real from the horse shit. People have been trying to build a foundation for religion/woo that will convince a sceptic for 2000 years or more, and have failed. Some random numpty on an internet forum is therefor really under the gun. It's amazing to see them brimming with confidence none-the-less, coming to tell us why the whole of the scientific community is wrong about everything.

Written language has been around what. some 10,000 years? Polytheism existed long before the religions of Abraham. I don't even give Buddhism or Hinduism a pass.

I know the age of our species and the age of our planet, and the fact that earth has had 5 mass extinction events. None of this universe was put here for humans. Humans invent all religions.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
03-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Zombocalypse Wrote:What do you all think of this? What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

For both atheists and believers the meaning of life is to find happiness anywhere and anytime it is possible.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
03-05-2017, 08:23 AM

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
03-05-2017, 08:27 AM
What do you get if you multiply 6 by 9?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
03-05-2017, 08:29 AM
Who doesn't want to be happy?

Whatever we do don't we want it would bring us happiness and joy?

P.S. Adam fell that men might be and men are that they might have JOY.

03-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Why the hell do you have to HAVE a meaning to your life?
03-05-2017, 08:37 AM
(03-05-2017 08:35 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Why the hell do you have to HAVE a meaning to your life?

Is there such thing as life without meaning?

03-05-2017, 08:43 AM
(03-05-2017 08:37 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 08:35 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Why the hell do you have to HAVE a meaning to your life?

Is there such thing as life without meaning?

Remembering the labor hall in Phoenix I'd say there seems to be plenty of 'em.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]