What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 08:55 AM
RE: What is the meaning of life for an atheist?
How the hell would I know what the meaning of life is for anyone other than myself, atheist or otherwise?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
03-05-2017, 09:01 AM
(02-05-2017 09:26 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  I went to Barnes and Noble today to get a book about atheism, The God Delusion (by Richard Dawkins).

Incorrect. In The God Delusion Dawkins focusses solely on a wide range of arguments used for and against the beliefs in the existence of gods (or God). His book is NOT "about atheism".

Dawkins contends that a supernatural creator almost certainly does not exist and that belief in a personal god qualifies as a delusion, which he defines as a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence. When numerous people suffer from the same delusion it's called "religion". Dawkins also explains that one doesn't need religion to be moral, and that the roots of religion and morality can be explained in non-religious terms.

Quote:To balance it out, I also bought a book written by a Christian apologist, Ravi Zacharias.

Who advocates that homosexuals are so because of a perverse "desire", and that desire can be reversed. In other words, they're homosexual by free choice. He also regards homosexuality as an abomination against God's word. Are you really gonna take any notice of this nutjob as some sort of "authority" on anything? I hope not.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "balance" in this context? Each book stands (or falls) on its own merits.

Quote:What do you all think of this? What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

This is a perpetually nonsensical question that has no answer. How long is a piece of string? Seriously... it's identical to a theist's.

Quote:I also want to tell everyone that as of right now, I'm still a devoted Christian. But I am investigating more on atheism both to gain knowledge and to challenge my own beliefs.

Sorry, but this is self-contradictory. You can't be a "devoted" theist at the same time as you're apparently doubting the evidence that makes you so. I'm guessing, more correctly, that you're an agnostic if you have doubts about the existence of gods.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 5 users Like SYZ's post
03-05-2017, 09:04 AM
(03-05-2017 08:55 AM)pablo Wrote:  How the hell would I know what the meaning of life is for anyone other than myself, atheist or otherwise?

Check Amazon's top sellers. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-05-2017, 09:08 AM
(03-05-2017 08:37 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 08:35 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Why the hell do you have to HAVE a meaning to your life?

Is there such thing as life without meaning?

Since meaning is extremely subjective, I think the question is pretty irrelevant.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
03-05-2017, 09:10 AM
(03-05-2017 08:55 AM)pablo Wrote:  How the hell would I know what the meaning of life is for anyone other than myself, atheist or otherwise?

I had a long reply, but you basically summed up what I was going to say in one sentence. Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
03-05-2017, 09:32 AM
(02-05-2017 09:26 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

Nothing. Or whatever you want it to be. It's your choice.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
03-05-2017, 09:38 AM
(02-05-2017 09:26 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  In the Christian book, Ravi mentioned of a chemistry professor, Michael Polanyi, who stated that religion and art are the ones that give meaning to life, NOT science. Should science try to fill the role of giving meaning to mortal existence, it will lead to disaster.

What do you all think of this? What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

That, my friend is the $10,000 question. For me, there are no clear cut rules and/or answers. Everyone must decide the answer to this question for themselves through serious introspection and for lack of a better term, "soul searching." The process may take years to figure out and it may even change as you mature, but this is why I feel like organized religion actually harms people by giving them a false sense of purpose. They way I see it, a scant few ever truly examine this question without someone else spoon feeding them some regurgitated religious doctrine that can rob them of true happiness. Case in point, this Ravi/Polyani duo you mention.

I hope I don't come off as condescending because I don't mean to, but you asked and I felt that I owed this question a true and honest reply. I have learned to respect others sacred beliefs even though I disagree.

Using Tapatalk
03-05-2017, 09:49 AM
(02-05-2017 10:37 PM)treefireguy Wrote:  To drink fine ale, to
love a fine women, to breathe clean air and to eat a thick juicy steak. To walk on the beach with your toes in the sand. To hear an eagle cry out into the wind. To fall asleep with your newborn on your chest, to see your children score a goal or accept an award or laugh at the monkeys at the zoo. To laugh and sing and dance and drive and crawl and jump and yell and whisper and scream out loud. To write poetry and to make a bird house. To barbecue an amazing burger. To plan a road trip. To get punched in the face. To watch a movie and eat popcorn. See a magical waterfall. To lay in a hammock and listen to a stream. To fall off a bike and to lay down a full house. To climb that mountain. To fall in and out and back into love. To love some more. To live. To know. To appreciate this lonely planet we live on. To dream and to explore. To exist while you can. To know that you only have one shot at it all. To each his own I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing!! I really enjoy this!!

Using Tapatalk
03-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Just a thought, but how could anyone set a static meaning for their life? It changes over their lifetimes.

When you are 6 months old- You want clean diapers so you cry until your mommy changes your diapers.

When you are 15 years old - Try to get a date with that cute girl or guy that sits next to you in class.

When you are 19- Try to get through college without too much debt and get a good paying job.

When you are 28- Try to get that promotion you've been aiming for at your job.

When you are 50- Try to retire with enough savings so you can have a comfortable life.

At what point can you point to one thing in your life and say THAT is the only purpose you will ever have?

At what point do you realize that YOU are changing what purpose you have in life as you go through life and that it is ONLY YOU that is making these decisions unless you are handing off the decision to those that have authority in your life and letting THEM decide this for you.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
03-05-2017, 11:11 AM
(02-05-2017 09:54 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  what a rainbow means.... to that god. But what does it mean to you? Do you adopt that same meaning for yourself? Are you required to? Could the rainbow for you instead symbolize diversity, or an unachievable goal to always strive for, or a hint at the properties of light, or simply an example of nature's beauty? Must the meaning provided by religion for the rainbow really be THE meaning of the rainbow? No. You can choose to adopt their meaning... but that's your choice. Not the religion's choice. Not the god's choice.

Similarly, religion cannot provide meaning for our life. Only we can do that.
Precisely. By definition, all meaning is self-determined and contextual to each individual. One man's heaven is another's hell. One man's compelling proposition is another's Hobson's choice, or perhaps, just ... meh.

Religion does not provide meaning, it provides prefabricated rationalizations and explanations which, if you choose to accept them, and the abstractions don't leak much for you personally, is just another way of making meaning for yourself. It is the lazy way, and the error-prone way, and often leads to unsatisfactory outcomes over the long run. But, as with many things, religion claims to be the sole source and arbiter of meaning when in fact it's just an extremely flawed abstraction layer for a method of determining your own meaning.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post