What is the meaning of life for an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 07:44 PM
What is the meaning of life for an atheist?
(03-05-2017 06:30 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Its not that unusual mate, I never use the internet to buy anything so you'd definitely find me haunting a book shop.

You may have missed the point. If Zombomatic scurries down to the B&N for Dawkins and some other dude, he only seems to have read the other dude who reinforces his god delusion. That seems to me a bit trollish. He really isn't interested in atheism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
03-05-2017, 08:04 PM
RE: What is the meaning of life for an atheist?
(03-05-2017 05:31 PM)treefireguy Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 02:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  * and fuck

Actually, this post brings up a great point. All poetry , semantics and philosophical discussions aside, the actual true meaning of life is to pass on your genetic material to future generations. That's it. That is IT. Literally. Everything else is just...extra.
That, again, is the "objective" of natural selection as well as a description of primal biological drives that manifest significantly in most people. But it's not a description of purpose or meaning except for some people, to the extent that they consciously choose to value passing on their "genetic material" (or more typically and self-flatteringly, "passing the torch to the next generation", or more hedonistically, "fucking").

In my experience, in the long run, no one sees romantic cathexis and its byproducts as the pinnacle of meaning unless they have low expectations and/or consistently good luck.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
03-05-2017, 08:09 PM
(03-05-2017 06:30 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 06:19 PM)treefireguy Wrote:  Ya totally sounds suspicious to me too. Who DOESN'T use Amazon to buy books? I mean, the only people I have ever seen at Barnes and Noble were hipster coffee snobs and certainly not flaming religious people. Seems fishy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not that unusual mate, I never use the internet to buy anything so you'd definitely find me haunting a book shop.
I never buy books at a bricks & mortar store anymore except in the rare case where there isn't a digital version available. I visit my local B&N mainly to sit in the coffee shop teleworking when I'm waiting for the dog to get a haircut.

That said, there's a mini-trend back towards traditional books as some people are trying to reduce their time in front of backlit screens, and to facilitate disconnecting on days off, etc. And if I lived within walking distance of a B&N I might well make it more of a hangout than I do. I still appreciate the ambience of bookstores. Don't know how good a customer I'd be, but at any rate -- I'm not suspicious of someone claiming to buy paper books.

I'm more suspicious of someone who doesn't engage in a thread they start.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
03-05-2017, 11:56 PM
(03-05-2017 08:04 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 05:31 PM)treefireguy Wrote:  Actually, this post brings up a great point. All poetry , semantics and philosophical discussions aside, the actual true meaning of life is to pass on your genetic material to future generations. That's it. That is IT. Literally. Everything else is just...extra.
That, again, is the "objective" of natural selection as well as a description of primal biological drives that manifest significantly in most people. But it's not a description of purpose or meaning except for some people, to the extent that they consciously choose to value passing on their "genetic material" (or more typically and self-flatteringly, "passing the torch to the next generation", or more hedonistically, "fucking").

In my experience, in the long run, no one sees romantic cathexis and its byproducts as the pinnacle of meaning unless they have low expectations and/or consistently good luck.

Yeah. What that guy said. I'm not gonna define myself by fucking Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-05-2017, 12:24 AM
(02-05-2017 11:16 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Zacharias is a fraud - like most of these xristard shitheads.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...edentials/

Quote:Why Did Christian Apologist Ravi Zacharias Lie About His Academic Credentials?

He's as phony as his god.

> FYI: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Ravi_Zachar...dishonesty
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
04-05-2017, 03:00 AM
The next TTA podcast is all about this mans academic dishonesty, I would suggest the OP listen to the broadcast.
04-05-2017, 04:31 AM
OP God delusion can be a hard read if you're a theist. Dawkins doesn't hold back *at all*. It was a revelation to me when I read it, because he was so disrespectful to religion and I had no idea that was allowed. But to someone who's a "devoted Christian" it could be a bit shocking. I know many of my Christian friends who have genuinely tried to read it have been turned off by the writing style. Additionally I had to pause and think through some of the things that Dawkins said - sometimes it gets very densely worded and one needs to read a passage a few times over to get what he's saying. I think you should definitely try to read it, but be aware that it's the polar opposite of the feel-good don't-think-too-hard books like "the purpose driven life" that Christians and other theists tend to like.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
04-05-2017, 05:01 AM
(04-05-2017 04:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  OP God delusion can be a hard read if you're a theist. Dawkins doesn't hold back *at all*. It was a revelation to me when I read it, because he was so disrespectful to religion and I had no idea that was allowed. But to someone who's a "devoted Christian" it could be a bit shocking. I know many of my Christian friends who have genuinely tried to read it have been turned off by the writing style. Additionally I had to pause and think through some of the things that Dawkins said - sometimes it gets very densely worded and one needs to read a passage a few times over to get what he's saying. I think you should definitely try to read it, but be aware that it's the polar opposite of the feel-good don't-think-too-hard books like "the purpose driven life" that Christians and other theists tend to like.

Any atheist book is hard for lots of theists to read. I found it quite refreshing after years of being a closeted atheist. I think Dawkins was nowhere near as blunt as Hitchens in "God Is Not Great".

I am done with coddling the insecurities of theists. I don't mean I hate most humans, most 7 billion humans have some sort of club label. I am simply tired of coddling bad logic.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
04-05-2017, 05:18 AM
(04-05-2017 12:24 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 11:16 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Zacharias is a fraud - like most of these xristard shitheads.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...edentials/

He's as phony as his god.

> FYI: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Ravi_Zachar...dishonesty

Quote:These allegations of deceit have begun to raise concern in some Christian circles, such as the Christian Research Network.

Nevertheless, the allegations seem to have done little to harm Zacharias in the wider Christian community, even among academics who are aware of the allegations.

Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
04-05-2017, 06:44 AM
(04-05-2017 05:01 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 04:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  OP God delusion can be a hard read if you're a theist. Dawkins doesn't hold back *at all*. It was a revelation to me when I read it, because he was so disrespectful to religion and I had no idea that was allowed. But to someone who's a "devoted Christian" it could be a bit shocking. I know many of my Christian friends who have genuinely tried to read it have been turned off by the writing style. Additionally I had to pause and think through some of the things that Dawkins said - sometimes it gets very densely worded and one needs to read a passage a few times over to get what he's saying. I think you should definitely try to read it, but be aware that it's the polar opposite of the feel-good don't-think-too-hard books like "the purpose driven life" that Christians and other theists tend to like.

Any atheist book is hard for lots of theists to read. I found it quite refreshing after years of being a closeted atheist. I think Dawkins was nowhere near as blunt as Hitchens in "God Is Not Great".

I am done with coddling the insecurities of theists. I don't mean I hate most humans, most 7 billion humans have some sort of club label. I am simply tired of coddling bad logic.

I get what you're saying, but if you'd read the God delusion as a *theist* (as the OP is), then... it'd be hard to get past Chapter 1. Which IMO is part of the problem - if atheists can't communicate properly then we're hardly justified in bitching when people don't agree with us.

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post