"What?" is the meaning of life.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2011, 01:04 AM
RE: "What?" is the meaning of life.
I am, therefore Gwyneth. Sillies. Big Grin

The meaning of life is to ask the question, meaning in life is finding the answer. Gwyneth is my answer. Any answer is going to be local to the identity. To ascribe a general answer to the general populace is to invoke religion - which is a limit. I find it more meaningful to be without limit.

Sure, if you wanna get down to the scientific nitty gritty there are practical meanings and limits. Like avoid being eaten. Like my Gwynnies being the limit of me. So rather than love being the meaning of life, I would contend love drives the search for meaning in life. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2011, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2011 12:19 PM by ddrew.)
The meaning? ...... fuck.... do we even understand the question?

Does life require a meaning? .... If all of this evolution ... big bang theory... dark matter... everything we know about physics..

Does it all require a meaning? ... Think about it... really think about it.. the variables... the endless mathematics....

The cosmic random shit....

Why does there have to be a meaning?

Is it really going to matter when your dead.. if or when that asteriod or other planet wide extinct event happens??

One thing I've always believed.... it is the fear of the unknown that dictates man's future... it's religions.. ... the fear of the unknown that gives others the power to control the masses.. through religion..!

It's in our nature.... our genome... our very souls and nature... perpetuate the species.. dominate and destroy the weak... (money, government power, and brainwashing dictation of the poor and weak)..... remember natural selection.. survival of the strong... death to the weakest.. this is obvious in every genosystem worldwide... proven by DNA background of most of this world's species...

.......anyhow ... think about it.... why the fuck does everything have to have a reason behind it... most of the natural reasons of course we want to understand..... but the true forces behind everything remain unknown .. you really think we will ever really know for sure... ?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
27-12-2011, 02:36 AM
Funny, I went to bed last night thinking I've wanted (if not needed) to read and write about the meaning of life, and here is the perfect thread!

In general I agree in all the points revealed in this thread, but I think something important is missing and I hope you all can bare over with me for taking the thread down to that level. The point is pretty simple really.

It's fair to assume humans indeed are animals, just like birds, fish and plants. When assuming so, aren't we bringing the purpose of those living things to humans?

Assuming of course, that we actually know the purpose of the back-yard tree...

Which in my opinion (or maybe it is in fact my believe?), is to survive long enough to make some offspring. Why should it be any different for humans?

Anyway, that's pretty much what I had in mind, thanks for reading Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like TitanusEramius's post
27-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Who invited the nihilists to the party? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-12-2011, 03:50 PM
The meaning of life is . . . wait for it . . . there is no meaning !

I have a loving wife and great children. I cherish my family, my friends, and my career. In short I have a great life. Yet I understand there is no real purpose for me or any of us. We simply are. In less than 100 years everyone reading this will be long gone and in 200 years long forgotten. Relax and enjoy life.
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
27-12-2011, 04:46 PM
We ask ourself these questions because we are social beings who need to be constantly aware of our place in the group. Since "life" is nothing more then group dynamics going on, it is human to search an answer for a question that was unnecessary to begin with.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
27-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I don't think everyone is getting what I said ...
I didn't ask "What is the meaning of life?"

I stated for discussion that "What?" is the meaning of life.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
27-12-2011, 05:08 PM
[Image: watt_james.jpg]

Who???
James What??

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
27-12-2011, 05:17 PM
RE: I don't think everyone is getting what I said ...
(27-12-2011 05:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  I didn't ask "What is the meaning of life?"

I stated for discussion that "What?" is the meaning of life.

Honestly chas, I think you started your OP out wrong. Just my opinion ya know. Truly this video should have started the entire thread. Doesn't it explain properly?

By the way, I still laugh my ass off on this one...

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
27-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Its funny how we all delve philosophically into this subject about meaning......and I allways enjoy reading everyones posts and different viewpoints. I get the feeling though that if there is such a thing as an answer that could be understood in the human perspective then it would probably be flawlessly simple.....and quite possibly boring Confused

If there was an answer how would it be betrayed......if it was a word or a number like "42" or "love" then we all would have differing perpsectives. If it was an explanation like "to live" then again that could be interpreted in many different ways in many different viewpoints.

When I try to think outside myself on the subject I look at all the living plants and creatures on this planet and I wonder if they ever ponder about the meaning of life.......I imagine the answer is possibly no but that doesnt stop them from being here, from fitting in somewhere along the chain and existing......so the question "what" seems to loose substance as it is only by a human perspective it is being asked.

Could you express this meaning??? The only real thing you take with you when you cark it are your memories......these memories shape who and what our life was about and in these memories we have feelings and emotions......so what happens if the answer could only be told and described as a feeling (as the answer doesnt have to be limited to an object/word) how are you going to write about and explain that that to the members of the TTA forum Big Grin

You could write 20 huge books explaining this feeling/meaning but words can sometimes loose there meaning between writer and the reader so you have no guarantee that at the end of it the person asking the question has actually gotten your answer.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post