"What?" is the meaning of life.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2011, 04:31 PM
"What?" is the meaning of life.
The internally-generated search for truth, reality, beauty, love, purpose may be the meaning of life.

Or 42.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
26-12-2011, 04:41 PM
RE: "What?" is the meaning of life.
I thought about that question a lot when I was a child. And I always stated it in my diary how far I had come with my thoughts on it. Around 10 or 11 I formulated it this way: "The reason of life is to be searching for the reason of life"
Since then I haven't really asked that again.

But yes, 42 may be just fine, too.
Or purple.

Or in George Carlin's words "It's all about plastic!"

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Leela's post
26-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Sadly, Pastor Erxomai was once enamored with Pastor Rick Warren's "Purpose Driven Life" book and devotional series, "40 Days of Purpose."

Truth be told, I really just liked the fact that for about 6 weeks I didn't have to do any sermon or lesson planning because I could use his pre-packaged canned ideas. Yes, Pastor Erxomai essentially was "mailing it in" for the last year of his ministry.

Anyway, he starts his book with the line: "It's not about you," then proceeds to tell the sheeple that everything is about God and what God wants. The meaning of life is to glorify the insecure deity who needs constant reminder that he's cooler than the other kids.

These past months, I've had to search out what is the meaning of life if there's no Baby Jesus to live and die for?

The answer? There is no meaning of life.
That simple.

Oh, but life can create meaning. In fact, to live at all is a pretty amazing thing. To be alive in this time and place is even more epic. Considering all the billions of years it took the Universe to form and all the many more billions of years it took for our little pale blue spot to form and all the many more millions of years it took for life to evolve, I'm pretty darn happy my molecules coalesced into me at this time and space and not perhaps 68,000,000 years ago when I might have had my mammalian blob stepped on by an Iguanodon. But instead, here I am typing on a computer that I sort of know how it works, transmitting ideas over the face of the planet through the internet. The meaning I give life is I'm slowly learning to be pretty darn excited about being here now and making the most of my trip, because soon, I shall blink out of existence for at least as long as I didn't exist before I blinked into existence. Pretty amazing stuff to dwell on and to build meaning out of. Pretty f'd up if a person spends the bulk of their life enslaved to a jealous myth instead of creating meaning within themselves.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Erxomai's post
26-12-2011, 05:15 PM
(26-12-2011 05:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh, but life can create meaning. In fact, to live at all is a pretty amazing thing. To be alive in this time and place is even more epic. Considering all the billions of years it took the Universe to form and all the many more billions of years it took for our little pale blue spot to form and all the many more millions of years it took for life to evolve, I'm pretty darn happy my molecules coalesced into me at this time and space and not perhaps 68,000,000 years ago when I might have had my mammalian blob stepped on by an Iguanodon. But instead, here I am typing on a computer that I sort of know how it works, transmitting ideas over the face of the planet through the internet. The meaning I give life is I'm slowly learning to be pretty darn excited about being here now and making the most of my trip, because soon, I shall blink out of existence for at least as long as I didn't exist before I blinked into existence. Pretty amazing stuff to dwell on and to build meaning out of. Pretty f'd up if a person spends the bulk of their life enslaved to a jealous myth instead of creating meaning within themselves.

That's what I'm talkin' about! Amen, brother.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Of course, The Meaning of Life is also a very funny movie from Monty Python.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-12-2011, 06:00 PM

There is no gurantee there is any meaning.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
26-12-2011, 06:21 PM
(26-12-2011 06:00 PM)bemore Wrote:  There is no gurantee there is any meaning.

That's why I said "internally-generated".

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-12-2011, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2011 06:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-12-2011 04:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  The internally-generated search for truth, reality, beauty, love, purpose may be the meaning of life.

Or 42.

I think Douglas Adams was working out this equation but died before he worked out all of the variables. I mean, he knew the answer was 42, he just hadn't quite identified all of the parameters. even cursory observation of Chas' variables reveal some obvious missing ones like humor and laughter. Wink

[Image: meaningoflife.jpg]

(26-12-2011 05:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  The answer? There is no meaning of life.
That simple.
Oh, but life can create meaning.

(26-12-2011 06:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  

That's the essence of nihilism. There's no ultimate meaning out there but there's plenty of opportunity to find the parameters for your very own partial differential equation. And that local, artificial, transient meaning is the only meaning there is to be found.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
26-12-2011, 06:34 PM

Ha ha so you did.........damn my eyes Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
26-12-2011, 06:36 PM
(26-12-2011 06:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-12-2011 04:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  The internally-generated search for truth, reality, beauty, love, purpose may be the meaning of life.

Or 42.

I think Douglas Adams was working out this equation but died before he worked out all of the variables. I mean, he knew the answer was 42, he just hadn't quite identified all of the parameters. even cursory observation of Chas' variables reveal some obvious missing ones like humor and laughter. Wink

[Image: meaningoflife.jpg]

(26-12-2011 05:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  The answer? There is no meaning of life.
That simple.
Oh, but life can create meaning.

That's the essence of nihilism. There's no ultimate meaning but there's plenty of opportunity to find the parameters for your very own partial differential equation. And that's the only meaning there is.
Point taken.

The internally-generated search for truth, reality, beauty, love, purpose, joy, laughter, happiness, knowledge, cheap thrills, and a few giggles may be the meaning of life.