Poll: What's Jesus about?
Son of God, etc
Lowly preacher bigged up
Total myth, never existed
Based on real people and events to create a religion
King Arthur
[Show Results]

What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2014, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2014 01:27 PM by Deltabravo.)
What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?
I would like to post a poll with the following options about what is the most likely explanation of who Jesus was?

1. Son of god, born of a virgin, resurrected, the usual stuff.

2. A religious guy of lowly background in the 20s and 30s AD who had a sort of Buddhist outlook and had some followers and then the religion just evolved and his life was embellished with some myths and invented stories. He was crucified and died or maybe just passed out and woke up and maybe went to India. It's all vague and we will never know who he really was.

3. A complete myth based Mythra or Horus with no basis in fact.

4. A deliberate construction by clerics taking facets of various real people and real events and altering, modifying, mystifying, embellishing, interpreting and adding to them to create a religion which was pro Roman.

5. King Arthur
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Deltabravo's post
26-04-2014, 02:56 PM
RE: What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?
My theory fits none of those. I think he was a counter cultural rabbi who managed to piss off the jewish leadership and got himself executed. The mythical stuff was added later so the followers of Jesus could compete with Roman pagan religions of the time.
[+] 8 users Like wazzel's post
26-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Magic mushrooms and dopamine.

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-04-2014, 04:14 PM
There were several of these messianic figures in the area at this time. A number had cults associated with them. This is just the one that got lucky.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
26-04-2014, 05:50 PM
No 4 is closest for me.

I think "he" probably existed, and was a political insurgent who failed miserably to achieve anything. I think that the mythology that surrounds him now was a product of Roman government propaganda originally designed to undermine the messianic expectations of Jews. Constantine and others in the fourth century turned him into something else again.

There's a good chance I'm wrong. "He" may be 100% myth.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-04-2014, 05:56 PM
If he was real, it would have been hard (not impossible) to trick people into thinking he had miracle powers.
If he was imaginary it would have been easier to talk of the magic powers without having a requirement to prove it.

Of course it is possible that there was a person that Jesus was based on and that tales got bigger and bigger and magical after his death.

It seems that the Christian myth-stories are a collection of stories, probably built up through the ages, borrowed from pre-Christian stories, tried and evolved over time.

There is little evidence to show the origins. If Jesus did exist then we have no accounts from anyone that knew him. Stories come decades after his alleged death by people who never claimed to physically know him.

If he didn't exist, well what evidence can you have that someone didn't exist?
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
26-04-2014, 06:37 PM
He's Keanu Reeves.

[Image: keanu-reeves-is-jesus3.jpg?w=650]

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
[+] 8 users Like DemonicLemon's post
26-04-2014, 11:32 PM
(26-04-2014 05:50 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  No 4 is closest for me.

I think "he" probably existed, and was a political insurgent who failed miserably to achieve anything. I think that the mythology that surrounds him now was a product of Roman government propaganda originally designed to undermine the messianic expectations of Jews. Constantine and others in the fourth century turned him into something else again.

There's a good chance I'm wrong. "He" may be 100% myth.

I don't think it is just a myth but the myths are part of what was done in writing down the story.

The characters of Rabbi Eleazar ben Azarias, Queen Helena and Izats are very interesting and overlooked. I think you are right about being a political insurgent and Izats fits this description. They were Nazareens which is a lot like Christianity. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleazar_ben_Azariah

I think we get hung up on silly problems when we look at this. We say the whole thing is obviously nonsense and myth, but when we come to look for a foundation for it in a real person, some people just have to insist on looking in the 30s AD. If you look 30 years later, then you see this story of Izats which has a lot of similarities and provides a rational explanation of the crucifixion and resurrection story.

The other thing people have to do, first of all, is to stop calling him Jesus because there was no letter "J" back then, so he was "Izaz". That is the starting point. Was there a priest called Izaz? Yes. Was he crucified by the Romans? Most likely.
26-04-2014, 11:34 PM
(26-04-2014 06:37 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  He's Keanu Reeves.

Wait, does that mean I'm jesus?
(23-04-2014 07:40 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I'm Keanu Reeves.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 3 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
26-04-2014, 11:45 PM
(26-04-2014 11:34 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 06:37 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  He's Keanu Reeves.

Wait, does that mean I'm jesus?
(23-04-2014 07:40 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I'm Keanu Reeves.

Our lord and savior!Bowing

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."