Poll: What's Jesus about?
Son of God, etc
Lowly preacher bigged up
Total myth, never existed
Based on real people and events to create a religion
King Arthur
[Show Results]

What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2014, 09:25 PM
RE: What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?
(02-05-2014 09:21 PM)Anudist Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:09 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You did not answer the question I asked.

The answer to your question is simple. I would take the "knowledge" that you provide, and do with it as anyone should, scrutinize it. If it doesn't pass the test of scrutiny, it will be discarded, regardless of what it means to you, or what you think it should mean to others.

The burden of proof is a heavy one, isn't it, mate?

Yabut, you referenced yourself when talking in regard to future action in the face of 'evidence'.

Obviously you are too prideful to get it. Smartass

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2014, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2014 09:34 PM by Jeremy E Walker.)
(02-05-2014 09:21 PM)Anudist Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:09 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You did not answer the question I asked.

The answer to your question is simple. I would take the "knowledge" that you provide, and do with it as anyone should, scrutinize it. If it doesn't pass the test of scrutiny, it will be discarded, regardless of what it means to you, or what you think it should mean to others.

And if this knowledge passed your "tests" what would you do with it?
02-05-2014, 09:29 PM
(02-05-2014 09:25 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:21 PM)Anudist Wrote:  The answer to your question is simple. I would take the "knowledge" that you provide, and do with it as anyone should, scrutinize it. If it doesn't pass the test of scrutiny, it will be discarded, regardless of what it means to you, or what you think it should mean to others.

Yabut, you referenced yourself when talking in regard to future action in the face of 'evidence'.

What would you do with said knowledge if it passed your scrutinization?
02-05-2014, 09:36 PM
(02-05-2014 09:29 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:25 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yabut, you referenced yourself when talking in regard to future action in the face of 'evidence'.

What would you do with said knowledge if it passed your scrutinization?

I've already given my answer to this; assuming it passed scrutiny I'd have to follow up with the logical conclusion.

However, the necessarily prerequisite of such evidence being delivered for examination has not been met.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
02-05-2014, 09:36 PM
(02-05-2014 09:28 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  And if this knowledge passes your "tests" what would you do with it?

They aren't just my tests, objectivity is a must in the face of *new* evidence. We have a method for just that reason.

We can talk in hypotheticals all day long, it won't change anything. If you have new evidence, bring it forward and let it be scrutinized. If not, there is no point in continuing the discussion. If you had evidence, or if anyone did for that matter, that actually proved anything (and not just feed confirmation bias) this discussion would never have taken place. Your fantasies do not stand up to scrutiny, and they likely never will.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 1 user Likes Anudist's post
03-05-2014, 06:40 AM
J.E. Walkers questions are intellectually dishonest and nothing more than hypothetical "what if", circular arguments (or questions) .

An answer to "what if" would be make believe, as in, delusional.

I'm not playing this game again.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
03-05-2014, 08:00 AM
(02-05-2014 09:36 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:29 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  What would you do with said knowledge if it passed your scrutinization?

I've already given my answer to this; assuming it passed scrutiny I'd have to follow up with the logical conclusion.

However, the necessarily prerequisite of such evidence being delivered for examination has not been met.

What does "follow up with the logical conclusion" mean?

I asked what would you do with this knowledge. Thus far you have been unable or unwilling to answer this simple question.
03-05-2014, 08:19 AM
(02-05-2014 09:36 PM)Anudist Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:28 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  And if this knowledge passes your "tests" what would you do with it?

They aren't just my tests, objectivity is a must in the face of *new* evidence. We have a method for just that reason.

We can talk in hypotheticals all day long, it won't change anything. If you have new evidence, bring it forward and let it be scrutinized. If not, there is no point in continuing the discussion. If you had evidence, or if anyone did for that matter, that actually proved anything (and not just feed confirmation bias) this discussion would never have taken place. Your fantasies do not stand up to scrutiny, and they likely never will.

You are unwilling to answer the question. You know you would do nothing with the knowledge I speak of but you will not say that because it would then be evident that your "there is no evidence" facade which you hide behind to justify your unbelief is just that, a facade. Its fake, its phony. You know it and I know it. The truth is, is that the whole idea of you being morally accountable to a Holy and all wise God is something that is unappealing to you. You hate the idea. You see God as a kill-joy, someone who exists only to rain on your parade.

You ask for evidence that Christ is the Son of the Living God but not in order that you might have rational justification for placing your hope, trust, and life into His hands, but rather, to try to portray yourself as some good person who wants to believe but can't because there is no evidence. You are trying to deceive me and I think you may have deceived yourself.

So prove me wrong. What would you do with this knowledge?
03-05-2014, 08:24 AM
(03-05-2014 08:00 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:36 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I've already given my answer to this; assuming it passed scrutiny I'd have to follow up with the logical conclusion.

What does "follow up with the logical conclusion" mean?

I asked what would you do with this knowledge. Thus far you have been unable or unwilling to answer this simple question.

You asked "What would you do with said knowledge if it passed your scrutinization?" This 'said knowledge' of which you speak was very clear in context through prior posts to mean 'evidence of deity X' X in this case being your deity.

With the assumption that your hypothetical evidence for your hypothetical deity was shown true, as per your question, I responded that I would have to follow through to the logical conclusion; implying the existence of your deity within the hypothetical scenario would be concluded as correct...

My answer was pretty clear-cut.

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
03-05-2014, 08:49 AM
(03-05-2014 08:00 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  What does "follow up with the logical conclusion" mean?
-Background-
logic |ˈläjik|
noun
reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity
• a particular system or codification of the principles of proof and inference
• the systematic use of symbolic and mathematical techniques to determine the forms of valid deductive argument.
• the quality of being justifiable by reason.
• ( logic of) the course of action or line of reasoning suggested or made necessary by
Deductive reasoning is accurate and unbiased while inductive reasoning often appears to seek out a particular answer.

A "logical conclusion" by deductive reasoning would be evident without presupposition.

(03-05-2014 08:00 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I asked what would you do with this knowledge.

I would consider any information to be subject to reason, assessed according to strict principles of validity by deductive reasoning.

^^That^^ is my answer to your simple question... along with background knowledge to help you understand why I and many people, would process any information or "knowledge".

Pretty simple. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein