Poll: What's Jesus about?
Son of God, etc
Lowly preacher bigged up
Total myth, never existed
Based on real people and events to create a religion
King Arthur
[Show Results]

What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 08:27 PM
RE: What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?
(03-05-2014 08:11 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  What if I determine what is moral by a different standard than you?

If you don't subscribe to that aforementioned standard that next to everyone, save sociopaths and the likes, subscribe to, then sucks to be you I guess.

(03-05-2014 08:11 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  What makes your standard better than mine?

Since the meaning of 'better' is contingent on the meaning of 'good', and since your idea of 'good' is contingent on your idea of 'God' and mine is not, mine is contingent on the aforementioned standard, your question turns non-sensical: What makes my standard godlier than yours? Spaghetti monster and the fiery chariots!

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 08:30 PM
(03-05-2014 07:57 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 07:49 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Evil, hmm... now where did that come from again? Oh, that's right. Your god created it. And since you also believe the bible is his word, then he also admitted it (Isaiah 45:7). Even from your twisted point of view, it would be completely your god's deliberate doing that evil is all that is left when someone chooses a life without your god. Your god also supposedly set up the whole environment in which Eve's sin resulted in all the pain and suffering in the world. He could have set things up completely differently - like a truly benevolent god would have - but he didn't. Consider

It bothers me every time my kids get something as minor as a cold. It tugs at my heart strings to see them coughing, sneezing, congested, feverish, vomiting, etc and I end up wishing I could trade places with them to relieve them of it. How in the hell does a benevolent god look down at all the world's suffering knowing he could take it all away, but then do absolutely nothing?! You blame Adam, Eve, humans and sin for this, but then forget this is all your god's plan that has been set since before the world existed according to your belief. There are countless ways to see how ALL the responsibility would lie with your god if he really existed, but you see none of it. Obviously, your head is planted firmly and deeply in the sand!

To say God has done nothing regarding the evils of this world is to ignore the most important thing He has done.

Until you give your life for my sins, you will never be able to convince me that you have a better plan than what God's plan is for the evils of this life.
That would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic. "God gave his life so that excuses all the suffering and evil he created, allows, and ignores". Dodgy

Furthermore, whoop-de-friggin-doo about your god's "most important thing". He didn't give his life at all. When you die, according to your view, you simply pass on to another existence. No real life is lost at all. So what was so great about what he did? He didn't save us from sin. He failed to prevent sin from ever occurring. He didn't open the gates to heaven by his crucifixion. That was something he easily could have done without all the crucifixion drama. There was nothing about the crucifixion that changed anything. Common sense tells you that; the same as you couldn't undo a murderer's evil by serving life in prison for him.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
03-05-2014, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 08:35 PM by Chas.)
(03-05-2014 07:48 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 07:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  Are you terminally stupid?

I don't currently live my life in opposition to your god because I don't belleve he exists.

If it were shown he did, then I should be in opposition because the god described in the Bible is a right prick. The text describes him so.

So, no, I wouldn't go on living the way I currently do.

You live your life in opposition to Him because you sin daily against Him. Whether or not you are cognizant of the fact is moot. I can be offensive to someone and never know that I am, they just may bear with me and never tell me, or they could tell me and I may not believe them.

For you, the latter is true, for you have been told you are a sinner against a Holy God and dismiss the testimony and even freely admit that your opinion of Him is not good.

Once again, you have stated these things, i.e. that you think God to be worthy of opposition.

You said I would not change the way I live, and I described precisely how I would.
And I said I would be in opposition to the god of the Bible if he existed. I am not in opposition to that which I don't believe exists.

You are mentally deficient or a lying sack of shit. Or both.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2014, 08:36 PM
(03-05-2014 07:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  God's existence is key to the question of God's existence, not to the question of one's disposition towards God granting He existed.
I said the question of god's existence is key... not god's existence. You didn't answer what I said. (Sound familiar?) Drinking Beverage

(03-05-2014 07:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The majority of atheists I have spoken with admit they would do nothing with the evidence but continue on living the way they are living. So in those cases, I simply bid them farewell.
Because you have your head in the sand regarding what kind of beast it really is that you are worshiping.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
03-05-2014, 08:43 PM
(03-05-2014 08:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 07:48 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You live your life in opposition to Him because you sin daily against Him. Whether or not you are cognizant of the fact is moot. I can be offensive to someone and never know that I am, they just may bear with me and never tell me, or they could tell me and I may not believe them.

For you, the latter is true, for you have been told you are a sinner against a Holy God and dismiss the testimony and even freely admit that your opinion of Him is not good.

Once again, you have stated these things, i.e. that you think God to be worthy of opposition.

You said I would not change the way I live, and I described precisely how I would.

I like the color green, you may not. So what.
03-05-2014, 08:44 PM
(03-05-2014 08:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 08:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  You said I would not change the way I live, and I described precisely how I would.

I like the color green, you may not. So what.

How is that in any way responsive?

03-05-2014, 08:45 PM
(03-05-2014 08:36 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 07:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  God's existence is key to the question of God's existence, not to the question of one's disposition towards God granting He existed.
I said the question of god's existence is key... not god's existence. You didn't answer what I said. (Sound familiar?) Drinking Beverage

(03-05-2014 07:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The majority of atheists I have spoken with admit they would do nothing with the evidence but continue on living the way they are living. So in those cases, I simply bid them farewell.
Because you have your head in the sand regarding what kind of beast it really is that you are worshiping.

Let me grant what you say is true for a moment.

What is your point?

I like worshiping beasts.

You like pizza.

I like spaghetti.

You die, I die.

You decompose, I do too.

So what?

What is your point?
03-05-2014, 08:46 PM
(03-05-2014 08:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 08:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I like the color green, you may not. So what.

How is that in any way responsive?

You think I should be responsive.

I don't.

You die soon. I die soon.

So what?
03-05-2014, 08:47 PM
(03-05-2014 08:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 08:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  How is that in any way responsive?

You think I should be responsive.

I don't.

So what?

OK, so fuck off and die.

03-05-2014, 08:51 PM
(03-05-2014 08:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 08:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You think I should be responsive.

I don't.

So what?

OK, so fuck off and die.

You are so fickle.

On one hand you say I determine what is right and on the other you get mad when I determine to be dismissive and non-responsive.

But if I determine what is meaningful and what is right and in doing so decide to be dismissive and non-responsive you throw your toys down and run away crying.

You are the type that adheres to the whole "whatever floats your boat" garbage until someone offends you. Then you cry foul. Its ok as long as it is done to someone else but when you are dismissed you seem strangely upset.