Poll: What's Jesus about?
Son of God, etc
Lowly preacher bigged up
Total myth, never existed
Based on real people and events to create a religion
King Arthur
[Show Results]

What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 09:26 PM
RE: What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?
(03-05-2014 09:09 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 09:07 PM)Impulse Wrote:  If you even need to ask those questions, you're hopeless.

you sound like a Christian telling an atheist they are hopeless if they have to ask certain questions.

not everybody thinks like you pal. you have to be more accepting and understanding and tolerant of everybody's views since we all have our own path and determine our own destiny.
It doesn't get anymore hypocritical than that.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 09:31 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-05-2014 09:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  but yet you would have Christians respect the wishes of homosexuals even if they think it nonsense for two men to marry and be afforded all of the benefits that come with it.

You would have others respect you and your wishes even if they thought it nonsense, but you do not respect those whose views you deem nonsense.

Advocacy of a double standard is common to people who think like you. Take the time to actually think through what you are saying before you say it.

There is a vast difference when there is a solid foundation for the descriptor "nonsense", and when there is none. You seem to be unable to discriminate between "ignorant opinion" and "an informed position".

(03-05-2014 09:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Advocacy of a double standard is common to people who think like you. Take the time to actually think through what you are saying before you say it.

If we need any advice from the likes of someone who is totally unable to even begin to define the terms he uses, we'll be sure and ask.

BTW, the most likely explanation for Jebus :

Mithra was born on December 25th of the virgin Anahita.
The babe was wrapped in swaddling clothes, placed in a manger and attended by shepherds.
He was considered a great traveling teacher and master.
He had 12 companions or "disciples."
He performed miracles.
As the "great bull of the Sun," Mithra sacrificed himself for world peace.
Mithra ascending to heaven in his solar cart, with sun symbolHe ascended to heaven.
Mithra was viewed as the Good Shepherd, the "Way, the Truth and the Light," the Redeemer, the Savior, the Messiah.
Mithra is omniscient, as he "hears all, sees all, knows all: none can deceive him."
He was identified with both the Lion and the Lamb.
His sacred day was Sunday, "the Lord's Day," hundreds of years before the appearance of Christ.
His religion had a eucharist or "Lord's Supper."
Mithra "sets his marks on the foreheads of his soldiers."
Mithraism emphasized baptism.

Just how many coincidences would there have to be to make someone wonder ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-05-2014, 09:31 PM
(03-05-2014 09:24 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 09:14 PM)djhall Wrote:  The best possible outcome would be for there to be a god and for that god to turn out to be good and fair and loving and sane in both reality and in our judgment, and somehow have a way to salvage a good thing from a bad start. Unfortunately, everything I have seen so far of life, humanity, science, and the universe firmly points to the conclusion that nothing short of a miracle makes that outcome even a remote possibility.

You are not far from the Kingdom of God my friend.

I encourage you to keep seeking and searching. Thumbsup

If you're anything close to a representative of that Kingdom, we'd all be better off staying as far away as fucking possible... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
03-05-2014, 09:37 PM
(03-05-2014 09:24 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You are not far from the Kingdom of God my friend.

If I may ask a similar question in return, what would you do if you were presented absolutely conclusive evidence that the god of fundamentalist islam, the version that approves of and rewards the acts of the 9/11 hijackers, those that stone women to death for adultery, that behead infidels, that marries off 9 year old girls to old men against their will, forces women to wear beekeeper outfits, forbids alcohol, etc. IS the real thing, the true creator, and that is his vision for mankind?

What would you do? I can't imagine how that would screw with everything a "loving Christian god" believer understands about god and the world....
03-05-2014, 09:39 PM
(03-05-2014 09:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 09:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, we do not have to respect nonsense.

but yet you would have Christians respect the wishes of homosexuals even if they think it nonsense for two men to marry and be afforded all of the benefits that come with it.

You would have others respect you and your wishes even if they thought it nonsense, but you do not respect those whose views you deem nonsense.

Advocacy of a double standard is common to people who think like you. Take the time to actually think through what you are saying before you say it.

No one is telling you to be gay. What they do is none of your fucking business.

There is a double standard - I don't demand that you respect my ideas, but you demand I respect yours.

You are the guilty party.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-05-2014, 09:40 PM
What an unbelievably preposterously arrogant thing to say to someone.
*As if* JEW actually had some secret insight into who was or who was not "close" to the kingdom of god". Who the FUCK does he think he is ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-05-2014, 09:44 PM
(03-05-2014 09:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You seem to be unable to discriminate between "ignorant opinion" and "an informed position".

Merely labeling your views "informed positions" does nothing for the one who deems them ignorant opinions.

You have just labeled them the way you perceive them to be.

"My views are right because they are informed positions" can be said by anyone pal. Merely stating that your views are somehow right and mine are wrong means nothing.

It is like saying spaghetti is tasty and pizza is nasty.
03-05-2014, 09:46 PM
(03-05-2014 09:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  No one is telling you to be gay. What they do is none of your fucking business.

What Christians do is none of yours either.

See how easy this is.

(03-05-2014 09:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is a double standard - I don't demand that you respect my ideas, but you demand I respect yours.

You are the guilty party.

Actually I could care less if you respected me or my ideas. If I did, I would have long since left this forum.

And you are the only person I know of that would say that gays do not demand their ideas be respected.
03-05-2014, 09:47 PM
(03-05-2014 09:44 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 09:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You seem to be unable to discriminate between "ignorant opinion" and "an informed position".

Merely labeling your views "informed positions" does nothing for the one who deems them ignorant opinions.

You have just labeled them the way you perceive them to be.

"My views are right because they are informed positions" can be said by anyone pal. Merely stating that your views are somehow right and mine are wrong means nothing.

It is like saying spaghetti is tasty and pizza is nasty.

Yeah, except Bucky's opinions are informed by facts (which are objectively verifiable pieces of informations); while all you have is presupposition, conjecture, and feelings.

Go fuck yourself you ignorant fool. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
03-05-2014, 09:47 PM
(03-05-2014 09:37 PM)djhall Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 09:24 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You are not far from the Kingdom of God my friend.

If I may ask a similar question in return, what would you do if you were presented absolutely conclusive evidence that the god of fundamentalist islam, the version that approves of and rewards the acts of the 9/11 hijackers, those that stone women to death for adultery, that behead infidels, that marries off 9 year old girls to old men against their will, forces women to wear beekeeper outfits, forbids alcohol, etc. IS the real thing, the true creator, and that is his vision for mankind?

What would you do? I can't imagine how that would screw with everything a "loving Christian god" believer understands about god and the world....

I would not worship this god you speak of.