Poll: What's Jesus about?
Son of God, etc
Lowly preacher bigged up
Total myth, never existed
Based on real people and events to create a religion
King Arthur
[Show Results]

What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2014, 04:14 AM
RE: What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?
It's a fucking ponzi scheme Jeremy, wake the fuck up. Drinking Beverage

[Image: religion-cult-500x707.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
04-05-2014, 04:48 AM
The voting system is not accurate. There can be a mixture of reasons for Jesus not just one choice in the vote.

Eg myth + historical real people creating a religion mixed together.

I think this is the case and backed up by evidence from both the historicity theories and myth believers.

In short some historical circumstances starting a religious cult can later get embellished with myth.

Likewise for other biblical stories eg Noach Story.
Perhaps there were cataclysmic local floods eg Euphrates & Tigris flooding and then later embellished with myth.

Like wise with the Exodus - perhaps there is a relation with the Hyksos or other semites in Egypt escaping and then later embellished with myth.

Of course the first choice for son of God etc cannot be mixed with others unless "all people are of God" or all believers are "sons of God" which was then made into a single unique son of God being Jesus by later interpretation when creating the religion. Eg in Hebrew the term "Bnei Elohim" is commonly used meaning "sons of God" - so you can have the son of God choice mixing with myth and history.
Eg if theism was true but Christianity distorted then Jesus would be one of the sons of God as a historical religious branch of a cult which was later embellished with myth. - possible and compatible with Islam and Judaism.

...as for King Arthur ???? WTF ?

My mixing of choices hypothesis is also consistent with the voting - why so many vote for the historical and myth. However not a dichotomy but both.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
04-05-2014, 06:09 AM
(03-05-2014 09:44 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 09:00 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You keep asking these stupid loaded questions. It hasn't, and it's utterly moot unless it does.

Quit trying to pull a fucking end-run around your burden of proof, you obnoxious moron.

Care to answer the question? It applies to you as well.

I don't play fucking Three-Card Monty, asshole.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
04-05-2014, 06:13 AM
(03-05-2014 01:00 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You still are not answering the simple question

It's not at all a "simple question" It is, in fact, a perfect example of a "complex question", a LOADED question, which is a logical fallacy. Which is why you don't get an answer.

Fucking moron.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
04-05-2014, 06:30 AM
(03-05-2014 11:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You see, my beliefs do not rest upon what is written in a book or what someone has said about Jesus. My beliefs rest upon my relationship with a person.

This is convincing evidence that you are delusional. You have an imaginary friend with whom you have a 'relationship'.

Seek professional help.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
04-05-2014, 06:34 AM
(04-05-2014 06:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 11:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You see, my beliefs do not rest upon what is written in a book or what someone has said about Jesus. My beliefs rest upon my relationship with a person.

This is convincing evidence that you are delusional. You have an imaginary friend with whom you have a 'relationship'.

Seek professional help.

what if he can demonstrate evidence that his imaginary friend can give information to him, not possible via any conventional means ????

Just having an imaginary friend who loves you is one thing (? borderline schitz) but if that "friend" provides useful information not accessible via conventional means then what ? Does this back up the imaginary friend as real ?

What is the evidence that the friend is not imaginary ?

David Hume

04-05-2014, 07:18 AM
(03-05-2014 11:36 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You will be hard pressed to go anywhere in America where Jesus' name is not on someone's lips. He has that effect on people. You may not like this. But no doubt, if it was your name that was on their lips you would have no misgivings I wager.

I most certainly would not like that, I am not that conceited or that insecure that I need everyone to talk about me to feel validated.

Your god has some serious issues.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-05-2014, 07:47 AM
(04-05-2014 06:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Seek professional help.

I do not really think that you think I am delusional, despite you saying that I am. For if I were truly delusional in your estimation, you would not converse with me in the manner you do, unless you just like arguing and trying to reason with delusional people. If the latter is indeed the case, the various mental institutions scattered abroad in the country in which you live could certainly use your "talents".
04-05-2014, 07:50 AM
(04-05-2014 07:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 11:36 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You will be hard pressed to go anywhere in America where Jesus' name is not on someone's lips. He has that effect on people. You may not like this. But no doubt, if it was your name that was on their lips you would have no misgivings I wager.

I most certainly would not like that, I am not that conceited or that insecure that I need everyone to talk about me to feel validated.

Your god has some serious issues.

You are not conceited but feel it necessary to let us know you are not conceited which is in itself conceited.
04-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Quote:you will be hard pressed to go anywhere in America where Jesus' name is not on someone's lips. He has that effect on people.

Who cares about this in terms of proving whether the story of Jesus is true ?

Mohammed "anywhere you go in Saudi" is on everybody's lips and he has an effect on people..... so ?
So did Hitler in the third Reich.

ALso - some precision in language. It is not: HE [jesus] that has an effect on people but the beliefs of people about Jesus or scriptures that has an effect on people.
We have no evidence for Jesus actually having an effect on anyone.

The beliefs people have about Jesus may be "the real Jesus", myth, mixed up historicity or a mixture of these or just their version of an invisible friend. All the above can have an effect on people - even the vast majority.

David Hume