Poll: What's Jesus about?
Son of God, etc
Lowly preacher bigged up
Total myth, never existed
Based on real people and events to create a religion
King Arthur
[Show Results]

What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2014, 02:56 AM
RE: What is the more likely explanation of Jesus?
(02-05-2014 02:24 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 04:42 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  No because I know Hercules was what is referred to by historians of classical mythology as a "divine hero" and was, according to classical mythology, son of Zeus.

The fact that you liken Hercules, a divine hero in classical mythology, to Jesus of Nazareth who is a historical person is evidence in and of itself that you are at best, mistaken regarding the subject matter which you have decided to speak on.

No because I know Jesus was what is referred to by historians of classical mythology as a "divine hero" and was, according to classical mythology, son of Yahweh.

The fact that you liken Hercules, a divine hero in classical mythology, to Jesus of Nazareth who is also not a historical person (as they both lack any evidence for their existence outside of myth) is evidence in and of itself that you are at best, mistaken regarding the subject matter which you have decided to speak on.

I can do this all day fucktard... Drinking Beverage

Because do pray tell share with us what evidence we have for a historical Jesus, remember that the Gospels don't count, Paul's epistles speak only of a 'spiritual' Jesus and say nothing of the specifics (and even these took place decades after Jesus' supposed death and Paul never met him), and that we have nothing outside of Christian (read: biased) sources until at least the 3rd or 4th centuries and even then they are just remarking on what the Christians professed belief in. You really are that fucking stupid, aren't you?

I'm sad to say....yes...he is that fucking stupid. We're talking to a member of the great unwashed, one of the lowest common denominator, a consumer who feeds the gravy train.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
02-05-2014, 05:55 AM
(02-05-2014 02:43 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 06:52 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  It hinders you from receiving the light and illumination of God.
Anyone who thinks for himself knows God doesn't exist. Anyone who is gullible swallows the bulshit.

This reminds me of a part of JT Eberhart's 'Dear Christian' talk that he presented at Skepticon 3.

Faith is NOT a Good Thing

While we’re on the subject of faith…

You’d think that the scientific discrepancies with the bible would be enough to confirm the bible, and thus the religion based upon it, as fiction – but you, dear Christian, always have a trump card. That trump card is faith, which you will no doubt hide behind once all other arguments are exhausted. When you do, I always ask you to distinguish faith from gullibility for me. After all, the word “gullible” was invented for people who believe things without adequate reasons. So why is belief for the sake of belief suddenly a virtue, rather than a point of embarrassment when it is applied to god?

Reasons allow us to elevate one truth claim over another in terms of their credibility. It’s the reason we think the Earth is round, rather than flat, for instance. But faith doesn't seem to do this. I cannot help but think that you surely realize this, and that you see the hollowness of faith in the hands of non-Christians. A Muslim believing because faith is insufficient to convince the Christian, for instance. In the hands of religions incompatible with your Christianity, faith is merely the means by which people maintain a series of errors, errors that could cost them eternal paradise (and then some) – not a virtue at all.

At its very best faith, it seems, is an immeasurably poor means to separate one idea from another in terms of credibility. In fact I can only wonder if there is any idea so at odds with reality, so positively lunatic, that faith cannot be used in its defense. It seems to me there is not, which reduces faith in my eyes to nothing more than gullibility pursued, and that is something no respectable person should be proud of. If you are honest with yourself, can you really expect me to think you are justified in believing impossible things merely because you have faith?

The transcript of the whole presentation can be read HERE. Or it you prefer, you can watch it on this YouTube playlist.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-05-2014, 06:32 AM
I do not subscribe to the strawman of Christian Faith that Eberhart presents so his speech is not even applicable to me.
02-05-2014, 06:34 AM
I enjoy seeing atheists resort to ad hominems when talking to me. It is evidence they have nothing else to say so resort to childish name calling to try and appear tough and superior when they really just come across as angry and ignorant.
02-05-2014, 06:36 AM
(02-05-2014 06:34 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I enjoy seeing atheists resort to ad hominems when talking to me. It is evidence they have nothing else to say so resort to childish name calling to try and appear tough and superior when they really just come across as angry and ignorant.

And there's the persecution complex rearing it's ugly head. It never fails.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 1 user Likes Anudist's post
02-05-2014, 06:43 AM
(02-05-2014 06:34 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I enjoy seeing atheists resort to ad hominems when talking to me. It is evidence they have nothing else to say so resort to childish name calling to try and appear tough and superior when they really just come across as angry and ignorant.

To be honest. I engage happily with some of the Christians on here. I even quite like AlphaMale, I see the deliberate baiting in his posts but also get his sense of humour when he deliberately winds people up. He's the kind of annoying prick I'd enjoy having a beer with. I steer clear of you, not because you're a Christian, or because you have good arguments (you don't) it's because, quite frankly, you come across like a complete cunt. Drinking Beverage

Ad hominem enough for ya?

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
02-05-2014, 06:59 AM
(02-05-2014 06:36 AM)Anudist Wrote:  

And there's the persecution complex rearing it's ugly head. It never fails.

Hahahaha!

Persecution?

Heavens no.... I am not being persecuted at all. At least not in my estimation. I just see it as people disagreeing with me and letting me know their opinion of me. This is their right and I respect their right to speak as they do.
02-05-2014, 07:02 AM
(02-05-2014 06:43 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  

To be honest. I engage happily with some of the Christians on here. I even quite like AlphaMale, I see the deliberate baiting in his posts but also get his sense of humour when he deliberately winds people up. He's the kind of annoying prick I'd enjoy having a beer with. I steer clear of you, not because you're a Christian, or because you have good arguments (you don't) it's because, quite frankly, you come across like a complete cunt. Drinking Beverage

That qualifies and serves only to support my statement.

Thank you for helping me.
02-05-2014, 07:04 AM
(02-05-2014 07:02 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 06:43 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  To be honest. I engage happily with some of the Christians on here. I even quite like AlphaMale, I see the deliberate baiting in his posts but also get his sense of humour when he deliberately winds people up. He's the kind of annoying prick I'd enjoy having a beer with. I steer clear of you, not because you're a Christian, or because you have good arguments (you don't) it's because, quite frankly, you come across like a complete cunt. Drinking Beverage

That qualifies and serves only to support my statement.

Thank you for helping me.

Anytime Thumbsup

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
02-05-2014, 07:27 AM
(02-05-2014 06:32 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I do not subscribe to the strawman of Christian Faith that Eberhart presents so his speech is not even applicable to me.

It's not a staw-man when it's true... Drinking Beverage

You simply don't have the slightest fucking idea how to think rationally, to properly evaluate evidence, and check your own credulity.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post