What is the most unreligious thing you've ever done?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2016, 12:11 PM
RE: What is the most unreligious thing you've ever done?
(30-06-2016 09:24 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Play on a church softball team as an out atheist.

We seriously don't mind.* My parish in grad school had an annual used book sale and was willing to resell copies of The God Delusion.

*On second thought, depends on the church you played at. As a Baptist I knew a woman who wanted to burn a donated copy of a Harry Potter novel, when it was given to the church rummage sale.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
01-07-2016, 03:34 PM
(01-07-2016 08:31 AM)julep Wrote:  Wake up happy in the morning and know I'm going to have another great day...without God...

No joke, this one. I get exhausted from seeing literally a dozen or so memes on my Facebook feed every day, which all say something to the effect of "Without God I wouldn't even be able to get up and face the world" or "Life is just terrible but I have God".

It's one of my biggest Facebook "peeves", and I can't really address the issue there because it's family members posting it (over and over and OVER AGAIN). But they'll post these "I just can't face my life because nothing is good without God" posts at the same time they're posting pictures of their kids' baseball games, and prom photos, and archery trophies... or their new house/car/etc.

I don't want to cause strife in the family, or come across as the "angry atheist" they've all been taught to think we are, but it's very hard for me not to rhetorically grab them by the collar and shout in their faces, "You are awesome. Your life is awesome. You are basically telling your kids and the rest of your friends and family that none of us matter, none of us make your life great... and you can't make your own life satisfactory, unless there's an almighty being granting you strength you apparently don't think you have on your own?!"

Well gosh, I'm amazed I got out of bed, under that philosophy. Good thing I'm an atheist.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-07-2016, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2016 08:34 AM by Commonsensei.)
Beside's falling into Atheism. When I was in the Catholic Church.

I would eat meat on Fridays during lent. I had unclean thoughts of girls. I masturbated, dropping more seed to the ground then a farmer with parkinsons. Then when I was forced into confessions. I looked the priest in the eyes and told him I did nothing wrong. Then shook his hand.

[Image: thuglife.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post