What is the next step in evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2011, 05:41 PM

What is the next step in evolution?
Let’s suppose, for argument’s sake, that we do not self-destruct.

It means that there will have to be a turning point in our downward slide.

How smart do we have to be to survive?

What current attitudes do we have to evolve from in order to make it?

I will list a few, see if you want to add your own.

- greed
- paranoia
- apathy
- gullibility
- extremism
- rigidity
- mistrust of reason
- lack of compassion

These are just a few I could think of but, to me, these explain most of the problems mankind has been struggling with for millennium.
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2011, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2011 08:50 PM by bemore.)
RE: What is the next step in evolution?
Comparing the slow rate of noticeable change in evoloution to todays fast acceleration of technology I wonder if our next step up the evoloutionary ladder might not be helped, self induced or actually speeded up???

Body augmentations I imagine will become a reality........as technology in the brain is improved then maybe they can make the blind see, the deaf hear.....and maybe even increase these senses. The possibilites to what we may be able to do are endless.

IBM have revealed there brand new "synaptic" chips that work like aspects of the human brain

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressr.../35251.wss

Maybe the word cyborg will become a normality in the future.....maybe at first only for the rich, but as technology improves and the price falls then it may filter down to the rest of the world.

Apparently we have Junk DNA so if they can unlock parts/all of that I wonder what would happen. There was a recent story of a boy who is apparently the 1st person to be born with 3 dna strands.......although he is not fairing to well over it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/articl...z1JJbDz6xk

A lot of "new age" thinking people I think believe the next step will be spiritual......with the looming ending to the mayan calendar, which some people believe is October 28th of this year.....while obviously the more mainstream one is 11:11am 21st December 2012.

I suppose the answer to that though is where you put your faith Wink

Genetics could also play a part......although I wont go there because it allways leads to eugenics.

EDIT: Going back to your "needs" vs "wants" thread Zatamon i think we may evolve to our "wants" but not to what we "need" (to be harmoniously balanced in nature)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2011, 04:27 AM

(02-09-2011 08:46 PM)bemore Wrote:  Going back to your "needs" vs "wants" thread Zatamon i think we may evolve to our "wants" but not to what we "need" (to be harmoniously balanced in nature)

Another astute observation, bemore -- you have made quite a few in the last few days -- I enjoy reading them!
03-09-2011, 07:31 AM
evolve from:

power-lust
superstition
xenophobia
hypocrisy
arrogance
rashness

evolve to:

co-operation
autonomy
self-recognition
confidence
foresight
self-control

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
03-09-2011, 05:57 PM

We atheists talk a lot about evolution.

I have news, guys, evolution isn’t finished, it is an ongoing process.

Here is a story:

We are vegetarians.

That is how it happened.

When we moved out to the country, I asked my wife where I should build the chicken coup.

She replied: “We don’t eat anyone we know personally”.

I told her it was hypocrisy – letting others do her killing for her.

She agreed.

We stopped eating meat.

Our friends protested: “It is the natural way”!

We replied: “So is shitting on the sidewalk – just ask any dog!”

My point: We have created unnatural environments, unnatural habits for ourselves for millennia – we have evolved.

We can evolve beyond our basic chimpanzee instincts and become human with understanding, compassion, charity, intelligence, moderation, flexibility, reason, unity.

We don’t have to be natural chimps forever, baying for blood when we are hurt – we can use our big brains to think things over, from every angle and choose the most intelligent, least destructive solution.
03-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Survival of the fittest no longer applies to Western civilisation. For evolution to happen in that way the individuals who cannot provide for themselves have to either die out or struggle to reproduce, this is not the case any more as those who cannot provide for themselves get state benefits, they are just as likely to reproduce as anyone else.

This leaves two other possibilities. There is the evolution in the way people think, the changing of the zeitgeist so to speak. Then there is sexual selection. This is where females purposely look for certain traits in males to mate with, this leads to these traits (and any others that happen to be directly linked) becoming more and more common and evolution occurring that way.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
03-09-2011, 09:09 PM
(02-09-2011 08:46 PM)bemore Wrote:  A lot of "new age" thinking people I think believe the next step will be spiritual......with the looming ending to the mayan calendar, which some people believe is October 28th of this year.....while obviously the more mainstream one is 11:11am 21st December 2012.

Why is it everyone goes crazy for these ideas simply because it has simply mathmatical play in it, people do those werid things like 11:11 add this or takeway this then divide becomes this, spooky! its math! its true! its like you misunderstand maths, i mean i wasnt partically great at maths but i wasnt bad at either i got a C, but really, people do need to learn the basics of something.

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
04-09-2011, 05:42 AM

The next step in evolution is slowing down and stopping our regression and then start evolving again.

Undecided
04-09-2011, 07:33 AM
(03-09-2011 09:09 PM)James The Brit Wrote:  Why is it everyone goes crazy for these ideas simply because it has simply mathmatical play in it, people do those werid things like 11:11 add this or takeway this then divide becomes this, spooky! its math! its true! its like you misunderstand maths, i mean i wasnt partically great at maths but i wasnt bad at either i got a C, but really, people do need to learn the basics of something.

With respect my friend I think the level that they teach you in GCSE is pretty poor and doesnt actually go in depth about numbers.......it has been 15 years since I passed mine though so I suppose things could have changed.

Im not advocating the mayans......I allways try to remain neutral, however it is interesting that they existed thousands of years ago and could plot the stars the way they did.......that they knew there was a slight wobble in the earth axis,that happens every 2,500 years approx.........that we orbit something called "the great rift" which ten years ago (could of been) confirmed when scientists discovered a super massive black hole in the center of the galaxy.

I would reccoment taking a look into sacred geometry and then reviewing what you think about the significance of numbers my friend, it may change your mind......or help you think in different horizons.

It will definitly leave you with more questions Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
04-09-2011, 07:51 PM
(03-09-2011 07:06 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Survival of the fittest no longer applies to Western civilisation. For evolution to happen in that way the individuals who cannot provide for themselves have to either die out or struggle to reproduce, this is not the case any more as those who cannot provide for themselves get state benefits, they are just as likely to reproduce as anyone else.

This leaves two other possibilities. There is the evolution in the way people think, the changing of the zeitgeist so to speak. Then there is sexual selection. This is where females purposely look for certain traits in males to mate with, this leads to these traits (and any others that happen to be directly linked) becoming more and more common and evolution occurring that way.

In Eastern civilisations, the people usually have to fight for their survival or die off, and that starts at birth. There is this trend where parents sign their unborn children into prestigious primary schools, in order to ensure a place in said school. Once born, the child is subjected to various programmes to develop the mind, such a enrichment lessons for pre-school children. In primary school, the pressure of examinations seep in, as the child is prepared for his or her first examination. In secondary and tertiary education (high school and college/university), we see streaming, where the best go to the best places. The weak? Less taken care of, and sent to weaker places. More testing, more major examinations, enough to drive a sane person mad. Even in the workplace, competition is rampant, with people doing anything to climb to the top. Unemployed? The government's not going to give you freebies unless you get a job. The sad thing is, once you screw up your first few steps in life, you are pretty much screwed unless a opportunity arises. Don't be surprised when even primary school children think of or even committing suicide.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ