What is the origin of The Devil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2014, 08:05 PM
What is the origin of The Devil?
Where did the devil or satan come from? Is it borrowed from other cultures? When was the first time that something was referenced as satan or the devil? Some say that the serpent that tempted adam & eve was satan but where was the first time something called satan appeared? Was it in the new testament or does it appear somewhere in the old testament?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 08:14 PM
RE: What is the origin of The Devil?
He's my bastard child! Little Prince of Darkness needs to remember there's a King 'round here; selfish lil prick Dodgy
I kid Tongue

Here's some crap to read Angel

07-01-2014, 08:16 PM
I heard that it originated from depicting the gods of another religion (The Cartheginian god Baal) as evil.

Dont know if that is true though and never bothered to look it up.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
07-01-2014, 08:52 PM
(07-01-2014 08:05 PM)Sovby Wrote:  Where did the devil or satan come from? Is it borrowed from other cultures? When was the first time that something was referenced as satan or the devil? Some say that the serpent that tempted adam & eve was satan but where was the first time something called satan appeared? Was it in the new testament or does it appear somewhere in the old testament?

Early Indian religions had Mara, which personified the idea of evil, at least in the time of the Buddha if not long before. This was some 500-600 years BCE (which, roughly, also means preceding xtianity).

Apparently there was a belief in Asuras (some form of "demon") in even earlier Vedic mythology.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
07-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Here is a great video on how he evolves through the bible

"People who use quotes when running out of talking points to repeat or for lack of being capable of producing any kind of argument in a debate, are braindead fools who are incapable of thinking for themselves let alone arguing for themselves or their point of view" - The Germans are coming, member of TTAF
[+] 8 users Like Lemonvariable72's post
07-01-2014, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 09:13 PM by RobbyPants.)
(07-01-2014 08:05 PM)Sovby Wrote:  Where did the devil or satan come from? Is it borrowed from other cultures? When was the first time that something was referenced as satan or the devil? Some say that the serpent that tempted adam & eve was satan but where was the first time something called satan appeared? Was it in the new testament or does it appear somewhere in the old testament?

I don't remember off the top of my head, but it's quite possible that the first reference chronologically in the Bible to Satan is in Job. The name Satan means "the adversary". The only time he actually kills anyone in the Bible is in this story, and he only does so with God's explicit permission to try and win a bet.

The whole mentioning of "the serpent" in Genesis seriously only mentions a serpent. This snake was later retconned to have been Satan.

It's not until the New Testament that he's branded as "The Deceiver" and fully vilified. Up until this point, you might be able to make an argument that he's doing God's bidding.

It's funny that I was literally just having this same discussion with my wife three minutes ago.

Edit: Awesome video, Lemonvariable72.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
07-01-2014, 09:09 PM

I gotz Google. You don't gotz Google?BlinkThumbsupBlink

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
07-01-2014, 09:26 PM
I think the whole devil thing came along as a way for the church to instill more fear into people. Fear and ignorance are the most powerful tools when it comes to controlling people, and nobody knows that better than the church. Christianity is a byproduct of Judaism, and if I remember correctly, Jewish people don't believe in the existence of hell.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
07-01-2014, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 10:29 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Dr. Elaine Pagels. Princeton University. "The Origins of Satan" (see Amazon)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-01-2014, 10:23 PM
(07-01-2014 09:09 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  

I gotz Google. You don't gotz Google?BlinkThumbsupBlink

HAZ. I *HAZ*.

LOL

Love ya babe ;-)

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post