What is the origin of The Devil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 01:56 AM
RE: What is the origin of The Devil?
At the risk of being accused of plugging my book again, I have quite a bit of detail in the attached excerpt that explains the back-story on Satan in the Bible, which addresses the OP.

.pdf  Manifest Insanity - Origins of Satan.pdf (Size: 97.8 KB / Downloads: 39)

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 02:53 AM
(07-01-2014 08:05 PM)Sovby Wrote:  Where did the devil or satan come from? Is it borrowed from other cultures?

It came from God. Duh! Smartass

With a question like that I think there is considerable room for debate. Personally, I'd point my finger at Zoroastrianism's 'evil God', but I'm no religion scholar, and as with any possible answer given you can just remove the question one step further. If the Devil did come from Zoroastrianism, where did they get it? And so on and so forth.

Find all posts by this user
08-01-2014, 05:26 AM
(07-01-2014 09:07 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 08:05 PM)Sovby Wrote:  Where did the devil or satan come from? Is it borrowed from other cultures? When was the first time that something was referenced as satan or the devil? Some say that the serpent that tempted adam & eve was satan but where was the first time something called satan appeared? Was it in the new testament or does it appear somewhere in the old testament?

I don't remember off the top of my head, but it's quite possible that the first reference chronologically in the Bible to Satan is in Job.

I believe it would be:

1 Chronicles 21:1 KJV Wrote:And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
08-01-2014, 05:35 AM
You got me on that one. i realized after i posted this i should have just googled it. I do think its interesting how things change throughout time. The term Satan starts out as being the title of something & evolves into the guy with the pointed tail & carrying a pitchfork. Hmm evolution, have christians heard about this topic? LOL.
(07-01-2014 09:09 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 08:05 PM)Sovby Wrote:  Where did the devil or satan come from? Is it borrowed from other cultures? When was the first time that something was referenced as satan or the devil? Some say that the serpent that tempted adam & eve was satan but where was the first time something called satan appeared? Was it in the new testament or does it appear somewhere in the old testament?

I gotz Google. You don't gotz Google?BlinkThumbsupBlink
08-01-2014, 09:45 AM
(08-01-2014 05:35 AM)Sovby Wrote:  You got me on that one. i realized after i posted this i should have just googled it. I do think its interesting how things change throughout time. The term Satan starts out as being the title of something & evolves into the guy with the pointed tail & carrying a pitchfork. Hmm evolution, have christians heard about this topic? LOL.
(07-01-2014 09:09 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I gotz Google. You don't gotz Google?BlinkThumbsupBlink

ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup
I know it was smartass of me. BUT your research could well reveal far more than mine or someone else's. Good rule of thumb is to track down what you can then if that lends questions it can make for great forum fodder.

cheers

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
08-01-2014, 03:13 PM
(08-01-2014 05:26 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 09:07 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I don't remember off the top of my head, but it's quite possible that the first reference chronologically in the Bible to Satan is in Job.

I believe it would be:

1 Chronicles 21:1 KJV Wrote:And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

BlackMason,
Although Chronicles does appear in the Bible earlier than Job, Job is chronologically older and is accepted by most scholars as the oldest book in the Bible. Technically, RobbyPants is correct, but don't let him know that.
Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
08-01-2014, 03:47 PM
"satan" simply means "opposer"....

To Christians, technically we are all satan Thumbsup

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
08-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Yeah. Read Elaine Pagles' book. It has some interesting information in it.
08-01-2014, 06:59 PM
(08-01-2014 03:13 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  BlackMason,
Although Chronicles does appear in the Bible earlier than Job, Job is chronologically older and is accepted by most scholars as the oldest book in the Bible. Technically, RobbyPants is correct, but don't let him know that.
Doc

Too late! It all went to my head!

[Image: ba0b06804631f3083ffb5e73e68959c0990872d6...d08aaa.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-01-2014, 07:04 PM
It's the same place god came from - people looking for a way to not be responsible for their actions and their consequences.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man