What is the point of being an active atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2012, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 03:35 PM by Buddy Christ.)
What is the point of being an active atheist?
I always found it a bit strange the way some atheists are active atheists. They go out and debate, and talk about how much they don't believe in God. I think it's okay to do it just because you are sick of religious people, and want to be around like-minded invidiuals or something, but other than that, it seems pointless. It just makes no sense to me. Now I know if some religious nut starts challenging you, then obviously you are going to defend, but deliberately going out of your way to debate God, creation, etc, just seems like a waste of time in my opinion. Anyone else feel this way?

I recently saw this video on youtube by bigthink where Neil deGrasse Tyson talks about this. He basically speaks my mind. He only gets into the part of that I am talking about at around 2:20, but the rest of the video is excellent also. Enjoy Smile (hope the link works, first time posting video)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Magoo's post
02-09-2012, 01:39 PM
RE: Why is the point of being an active atheist?
(02-09-2012 01:37 PM)Magoo Wrote:  I always found it a bit strange the way some atheists are active atheists. They go out and debate, and talk about how much they don't believe in God. I think it's okay to do it just because you are sick of religious people, and want to be around like-minded invidiuals or something, but other than that, it seems pointless. It just makes no sense to me. Now I know if some religious nut starts challenging you, then obviously you are going to defend, but deliberately going out of your way to debate God, creation, etc, just seems like a waste of time in my opinion. Anyone else feel this way?

I recently saw this video on youtube by bigthink where Neil deGrasse Tyson talks about this. He basically speaks my mind. He only gets into the part of that I am talking about at around 2:20, but the rest of the video is excellent also. Enjoy Smile (hope the link works, first time posting video)

[ysl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSMC5rWvos[/ysl]

If it doesn't show up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSMC5rWvos
I challenge as many creationists as I can because if I can show them the evidence, they COULD be one less person voting to ass rape MY education by teaching Biblical Bullshit.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 6 users Like Atothetheist's post
02-09-2012, 01:42 PM
(02-09-2012 01:37 PM)Magoo Wrote:  [ysl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSMC5rWvos[/ysl]

If it doesn't show up:

EDIT: Didn't work, anyone care to help?
The BB-code is not [ysl]videolink[/ysl], but [video=youtube]videolink[/video]. Like this:

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
02-09-2012, 01:58 PM

Most "active atheists" are really religious people and like all religious people they want their time in the sun. They want to rule the world and make everyone believe the way they do. Religious thinking needs to stop entirely. If it does not, we will not advance as a civilization and, ironically, we will never come to understand God.
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2012, 02:00 PM
(02-09-2012 01:42 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 01:37 PM)Magoo Wrote:  [ysl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSMC5rWvos[/ysl]

If it doesn't show up:

EDIT: Didn't work, anyone care to help?
The BB-code is not [ysl]videolink[/ysl], but [video=youtube]videolink[/video].

Thanks man!
02-09-2012, 02:10 PM
(02-09-2012 02:00 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Thanks man!
No problem.

(02-09-2012 01:58 PM)Egor Wrote:  Most "active atheists" are really religious people and like all religious people they want their time in the sun. They want to rule the world and make everyone believe the way they do. Religious thinking needs to stop entirely.
You still think that Atheism is a religion? Drinking Beverage

(02-09-2012 01:58 PM)Egor Wrote:  If it does not, we will not advance as a civilization and, ironically, we will never come to understand God.

[Image: 26092716.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
02-09-2012, 02:11 PM
(02-09-2012 01:58 PM)Egor Wrote:  Most "active atheists" are really religious people and like all religious people they want their time in the sun. They want to rule the world and make everyone believe the way they do. Religious thinking needs to stop entirely. If it does not, we will not advance as a civilization and, ironically, we will never come to understand God.

I disagree. I am vocal about my atheism because I know that it will better the world. And please, define how we are religious.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
02-09-2012, 02:13 PM
(02-09-2012 01:37 PM)Magoo Wrote:  I always found it a bit strange the way some atheists are active atheists. They go out and debate, and talk about how much they don't believe in God. I think it's okay to do it just because you are sick of religious people, and want to be around like-minded invidiuals or something, but other than that, it seems pointless. It just makes no sense to me. Now I know if some religious nut starts challenging you, then obviously you are going to defend, but deliberately going out of your way to debate God, creation, etc, just seems like a waste of time in my opinion. Anyone else feel this way?

I understand that point of view - it is very valid. Then again one may wish to consider change. To some, change might be perceived as proactive damage control. To others, change might be perceived as damage itself, laying waste to present value. In my view, Atheist activism might be akin to graffiti. Some find it just great, others are indifferent, while others feel it is just vandalism. I suppose it all depends how one views change. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
02-09-2012, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 03:24 PM by Bucky Ball.)
As my very wise friend, ^^^ Kim taught me, and once said, "if you pull the rug out from under someone, they may fall. If you lead them to the edge, they can step off". The deconstruction of a worldview is complex, and multi dimensional. Each point in the complex construction of the worldview is related to each of the others, as shown in these.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-09-2012, 03:15 PM
(02-09-2012 01:37 PM)Magoo Wrote:  I always found it a bit strange the way some atheists are active atheists. They go out and debate, and talk about how much they don't believe in God.

You do realise that this forum would not exist if Seth had not heard a Hitch debate, right?

Read the Introductions thread and count how many people came to the realisation that they were not alone after reading Dawkins or Hitch etc.

The debates are not about winning those debates, they are about shaking an occasional by-stander out their religion-infused complacency.

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post