What is the point of being an active atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2012, 03:17 PM
RE: Why is the point of being an active atheist?
Most atheists who do go out and debate are really simply pushing people to think about their religion. They want them to give it some serious thought.
Why do you believe what you believe ? If you only believe it because that is what you were taught as a child, then maybe it's time to give up childish notions
and begin to think as an adult. Atheists want people to begin to behave and reason as adults do and not behave and reason as a child does.

Because the decisions we make as adults are important. We vote and those votes elect people and put policies in place that effect all of us.
When a large segment of our population believe in things for which there is no evidence, then that needs to change.
When there is a world view that subscribes to magic as an explanation for why they are here, then that needs to change.
When people begin to actively work against the progress of science education, then that needs to change.

These things will only change when we get out there and talk about them, make people face their ideas and make them THINK.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2012, 03:33 PM
(02-09-2012 01:58 PM)Egor Wrote:  Most "active atheists" are really religious people and like all religious people they want their time in the sun. They want to rule the world and make everyone believe the way they do. Religious thinking needs to stop entirely. If it does not, we will not advance as a civilization and, ironically, we will never come to understand God.

This is Egor "I'm going to say atheism is a religion and everybody will be so mad!"

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
02-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Reason and reality must be promoted, regardless of effect, and science must be defended for this reason as well. It is not about changing the entire world, it is about preventing it from getting worse.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Matthew Laramore's post
02-09-2012, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 03:55 PM by Marco Krieger.)
As long as we atheist are in the minority and threatened by the religious groups in so may ways, we are committed to be open and most certainly offensiv.
You may not realized whats at stake.
In the USA the whole religious People fighting against your rights as an individuell.
They fight the first amendment, bill of rights and all whats not in there book.
They have no problem to use whats necessary to made there point.
But there is an other shark in the water and hi is not her to have a debate.
The millitant muslims are right her in europe.
They try to dominate the society, establishing there owen laws.
Thats not fear or hate, i am talking about fakt.
Take a look to history.
Lets take the fall of the roman-empire for exampel.
The old power-structures break down after a new religion(christianity) rises.
I am sure the roman were not amused to see this happen.
It is universal to human history, if one force is weak an other take its place.
My conclusion is; if we don't want to face religious oppression from what kind how ever, we have to fight.
If we sit down and wank on our clever thoughts, our granddaugthers will be wearing veils, instead bikini.
Thanks, but no thanks.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 1 user Likes Marco Krieger's post
02-09-2012, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 04:09 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-09-2012 01:37 PM)Magoo Wrote:  

"I don't have the time, the interest, the energy, to do any of that. I'm a scientist, I'm an educator, my goal is to get people thinking straight in the first place."

Bravo!

(02-09-2012 01:37 PM)Magoo Wrote:  I always found it a bit strange the way some atheists are active atheists. They go out and debate, and talk about how much they don't believe in God. I think it's okay to do it just because you are sick of religious people, and want to be around like-minded invidiuals or something, but other than that, it seems pointless. It just makes no sense to me.

I understand and appreciate their activism, but it just doesn't suit me for purely selfish reasons. I don't want to be reminded that after several millienia of the development of rational thought that so many of my species are still fucking superstitious irrational fools. I can't be regularly reminded of that and still effectively cooperate and collaborate with them.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-09-2012, 09:51 PM
There is a conflict within me.

Do I let people keep their coping mechanism for death/religion. Or make them face the realities of life?

Imagine all those billions. Maybe trillions of dollars spent each year on religion. From tithing and tax free donations etc.

Imagine all that $ now going to science and to the scientists/people who care about not themselves but for our offspring and their children's children. Imagine all that $ going to people who understand the hand the universe dealt us. And playing that hand the best they know how.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
02-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Doing debates is a slow process to get thinking where it needs to be. Raising free thinking children and de-converting whoever we can is the way to go. We can't do it fast by having some kind of uprising, because there are just not enough people. And with the government (google) watching everything everyone does it is just not possible. And of course the religious will pose as something they are not in order to undermine progress. Slower is better, because we can definitely tell who is actually like minded if we talk enough. That to me is the reason for the trouble.
03-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Here are some reasons why. Take your pick:
* Because they're increasing the profile of atheism, so that closet atheists feel freer to stand up and say what they thinking and be honest with themselves and the people they know
* To change the social and political climate to be more accepting of atheism
* To change the social and political climate to be less doe-eyed in blanket acceptance of theist claims, particularly as they impact public policy
* To band together to fight the worst public policy
* To encourage critical thinking, and to spread rationality
* To challenge clearly false beliefs
* To save the world from theists who trust their God to save them from rising oceans
* To explain to the world that we have to save ourselves, and we have to guide our own future
* Because we're angry at having been fooled in the past
* Because we want to help those trapped in fortresses of the mind
* Because we can see a better and brighter future that is not tied to dogma, but realises the best in humanity
* Because it's our turn
* Because we can make a difference
* Because surely we can make better use of the money flowing into churches
* Because there is no afterlife and damnit this life matters
* Because atheists are a misunderstood and maligned minority
* Because its time to put a stop to creeping theocracy
* Because my children deserve to hear that adults disagree about important issues
* Because critical thinking matters
* Because those hours of Bible study could have been spent enriching the world through expressions of science and art
* Because people matter, and deserve to be saved from charlatans
* Because the look on the guy's face, that's why
* Because we deserve to have community that does not revolve around a lie
* Because no man is an island
Not all of these reasons are selfless, but neither are they all selfish. Sometimes putting an end to a lie is enough of an end in itself. I tend to think that scepticism is more important than atheism, but religion sure seems to me a worthwhile subject for sceptical enquiry. Atheists don't need to be evangelical. Most will never be, but I appreciate the ones who are. I appreciate the youtube atheists and the bloggers and the debaters. They aren't perfect. I'm sure they do harm, but they do good too.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 6 users Like Hafnof's post
03-09-2012, 08:15 AM
I have to agree with Egor that atheism is just another religion.

Its all about faith and belief in how you see the world..... with different outside factors that can affect and "educate" your worldview.

Scientists are the new prophets Thumbsup

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
03-09-2012, 09:01 AM
(03-09-2012 08:15 AM)bemore Wrote:  I have to agree with Egor that atheism is just another religion.

Its all about faith and belief in how you see the world..... with different outside factors that can affect and "educate" your worldview.

Scientists are the new prophets Thumbsup

Thats quite funny.
I meen, read and understand my signature and you will see your argument is not logical.
Imagine for a moment, you are right, atheism is a religion and scientists are our prophets, so how is our god?
There are many scientists, working on stuff thats work, in many different branches.
Should there be a god for every single diciplin in science, or is there one god for all of them?
Ah, i see it has to be a scientific God.
Why we need a god, if the things our scientist are come up are aktuall working in the first place?
If you claim is true, that the end of the story, because we can prove, that our god
exsist, because he is interfere with us, we can measure him, we even can explain his nature.
That is more evidence as all books of religion can come up with.
But the question of god or no god is complet irrelevant to both, Scientists and atheist.
Scientists don't need them, because they figure there stuff out by using tests and searching for evidences.
Atheist don't belief in him, because there is now evidence for him.
In this closed argumetation-circle is no place for "maybe or maybe not".
And by the way, i myself brock even now the law of the great-planmaker.
I us a foreign language to communicate and collaborate with people on the other site of the planet.
That does'nt should work, if his plan after the babylonien-speech-messing workt out propperly.
This was created to stop us from teamwork to explore the "haven".
But there was this stone of rosetta... no, i don't want to stretch this further out.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.