What is the point of being an active atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2012, 09:10 AM
RE: Why is the point of being an active atheist?
Some points from me.

1) I could care less what someone believes on the subject of religion, as long as their religious views don't impact my life either in the public sector (politics) or in an attempt to infiltrate science. If someone injects their religion into either realm, they should be prepared to have them heavily scrutinized and criticized by me.
2) My activism really only goes so far as to defend science against pseduoscience. Once again, I have no interest in disproving god to someone who believes anymore than I have an interest in disproving bigfoot to believers. I will point out the holes in their logic, inform them when it isn't evidence or science, and I will inform them of my opinion and move on. They won't deconvert because of anything I say, but hopefully they will stop making the egregious error of thinking they are being scientific in their supernatural beliefs.
3) As for my general involvement and initial interest, it is because religion was at one point in time something I worshipped. I was told it had all the answers, only to learn it didn't. I was told that x, y, and z were right while a, b, and c were wrong, only to discover that "right" and "wrong" are end-members on a spectrum of opinion and that religion was almost always wrong on moral concepts. In short, religion lied to me and my religious beliefs caused me to judge people in very prejudiced and biased ways. I hate that religion did that and I want to help other people see that error too. My wife still believes, but she is so far to the left from where she was raised she might as well be an atheist.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
03-09-2012, 09:23 AM
(03-09-2012 09:01 AM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  
(03-09-2012 08:15 AM)bemore Wrote:  I have to agree with Egor that atheism is just another religion.

Its all about faith and belief in how you see the world..... with different outside factors that can affect and "educate" your worldview.

Scientists are the new prophets Thumbsup

Thats quite funny.
I meen, read and understand my signature and you will see your argument is not logical.
Imagine for a moment, you are right, atheism is a religion and scientists are our prophets, so how is our god?
There are many scientists, working on stuff thats work, in many different branches.
Should there be a god for every single diciplin in science, or is there one god for all of them?
Ah, i see it has to be a scientific God.
Why we need a god, if the things our scientist are come up are aktuall working in the first place?
If you claim is true, that the end of the story, because we can prove, that our god
exsist, because he is interfere with us, we can measure him, we even can explain his nature.
That is more evidence as all books of religion can come up with.
But the question of god or no god is complet irrelevant to both, Scientists and atheist.
Scientists don't need them, because they figure there stuff out by using tests and searching for evidences.
Atheist don't belief in him, because there is now evidence for him.
In this closed argumetation-circle is no place for "maybe or maybe not".
And by the way, i myself brock even now the law of the great-planmaker.
I us a foreign language to communicate and collaborate with people on the other site of the planet.
That does'nt should work, if his plan after the babylonien-speech-messing workt out propperly.
This was created to stop us from teamwork to explore the "haven".
But there was this stone of rosetta... no, i don't want to stretch this further out.

Im only making comparisons via belief systems.

Just because you dont believe in god doesnt mean you are then exempt from all of the varying factors (knowledge/facts/science) that can then influence your beliefs to how we see the world around us.

Whilst you have "faith" (in anything, not just god) the potential for your beliefs to be influenced still remains.

If you disagree and dont wanna "stretch it out any further" then fine..... lets just agree to disagree Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
03-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Prophetic times. Which just means certain modes of thought, memes, are being selected against. I don't know wtf those evolutionists are talking about, selecting for; I see that nature bitch doing a lot of selecting against. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Do you care about social issues at all?

For example do you think stem cell research could save a lot of lives or that gay people should have the same rights as we all do?

I can tell you the religious institution sure cares. Activist Atheism is my way of trying to combat many of the ignorant and just plain wrong things that religion does in society.

To be totally truthful however part of the reason I am so active is to try and undo some of the damage I did to the next generation with my preaching and picketing back in the day. Some of what I consider to be the worst things I ever did in my life I did under the guise of loving religion.

All of the best things I've ever done in my life have never been done in the name of belief or non belief they were done because I wanted something better for someone else in need. Someday I will die and fade to dust but our species will go on and that's enough for me.
03-09-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm usually passive, unless religion intrudes into the domain of science, spreading nonsense everywhere. I'm armed with the power of common sense, ready to help more people understand how science works, and to help clear misconceptions. It's really sad to see people you know having irrational fears over trivial things, or placing false hope and wishes onto a deity. If religion inspires them to do good to the world (hopefully not involving spreading their beliefs, but more of making society a better place), I'm fine with it.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
(03-09-2012 09:23 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(03-09-2012 09:01 AM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  Thats quite funny.
I meen, read and understand my signature and you will see your argument is not logical.
Imagine for a moment, you are right, atheism is a religion and scientists are our prophets, so how is our god?
There are many scientists, working on stuff thats work, in many different branches.
Should there be a god for every single diciplin in science, or is there one god for all of them?
Ah, i see it has to be a scientific God.
Why we need a god, if the things our scientist are come up are aktuall working in the first place?
If you claim is true, that the end of the story, because we can prove, that our god
exsist, because he is interfere with us, we can measure him, we even can explain his nature.
That is more evidence as all books of religion can come up with.
But the question of god or no god is complet irrelevant to both, Scientists and atheist.
Scientists don't need them, because they figure there stuff out by using tests and searching for evidences.
Atheist don't belief in him, because there is now evidence for him.
In this closed argumetation-circle is no place for "maybe or maybe not".
And by the way, i myself brock even now the law of the great-planmaker.
I us a foreign language to communicate and collaborate with people on the other site of the planet.
That does'nt should work, if his plan after the babylonien-speech-messing workt out propperly.
This was created to stop us from teamwork to explore the "haven".
But there was this stone of rosetta... no, i don't want to stretch this further out.

Im only making comparisons via belief systems.

Just because you dont believe in god doesnt mean you are then exempt from all of the varying factors (knowledge/facts/science) that can then influence your beliefs to how we see the world around us.

Whilst you have "faith" (in anything, not just god) the potential for your beliefs to be influenced still remains.

If you disagree and dont wanna "stretch it out any further" then fine..... lets just agree to disagree Smile

Ok, lets give it one more shot.

You say, you just want to compair belief-systems...
Not quite sure how to put it...
I say, Atheisum is not a belief-system, it is the opposite.
It meens, i have the lack of belief/faith in god.
Otherwise, an atheist has to say: I belief, that i don't belief in god.
Instead he always say: I didn't belief in god.
In that case "didn't belief" meens no belief what so ever.
Maybe this is the point, were we agree to disagree.
What do you think? (caution, i wrote think, not belief, just to make a difference)

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 1 user Likes Marco Krieger's post
03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Causality. Action and reaction. Religious beliefs are attempting to interfere in my life and take away my personal liberties regarding alcohol purchases, prostitution, drug legalization, abortion rights (not me personally), and trying to teach my future children about nonsense fairy tales laced with bigotry.

And so I react by poking holes in those religious beliefs. I mock the divine and infallible child molester clergy. I offer forth 3rd grade science formulas that shake the foundation of the evidence-free religious foundation.

But I am simply a reaction. Without religion, the term atheism wouldn't exist. It's not an independent belief system. Like my sig says, "Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustifiable religious beliefs."

If an influential majority of Americans believed that underwear gnomes are methodically stealing their underwear and are attempting to pass laws, alter school curriculum, and teach children about weekly sacrificial rituals to please the gnome gods, while trying to include a sticker in the front of every math book to warn that "Collecting underpants will lead to profit, despite what the mathematicians claim," then this forum would be called TheThinkingAgnomist and you would be asking why Agnomists are so active.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
03-09-2012, 11:34 AM
(03-09-2012 11:15 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Causality. Action and reaction. Religious beliefs are attempting to interfere in my life and take away my personal liberties regarding alcohol purchases, prostitution, drug legalization, abortion rights (not me personally), and trying to teach my future children about nonsense fairy tales laced with bigotry.

And so I react by poking holes in those religious beliefs. I mock the divine and infallible child molester clergy. I offer forth 3rd grade science formulas that shake the foundation of the evidence-free religious foundation.

But I am simply a reaction. Without religion, the term atheism wouldn't exist. It's not an independent belief system. Like my sig says, "Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustifiable religious beliefs."

If an influential majority of Americans believed that underwear gnomes are methodically stealing their underwear and are attempting to pass laws, alter school curriculum, and teach children about weekly sacrificial rituals to please the gnome gods, while trying to include a sticker in the front of every math book to warn that "Collecting underpants will lead to profit, despite what the mathematicians claim," then this forum would be called TheThinkingAgnomist and you would be asking why Agnomists are so active.

I do agree on this, in most parts.Excl

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
03-09-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm gonna reply to these comments later, don't have time right now.
03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
(03-09-2012 10:53 AM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  Ok, lets give it one more shot.

You say, you just want to compair belief-systems...
Not quite sure how to put it...
I say, Atheisum is not a belief-system, it is the opposite.
It meens, i have the lack of belief/faith in god.
Otherwise, an atheist has to say: I belief, that i don't belief in god.
Instead he always say: I didn't belief in god.
In that case "didn't belief" meens no belief what so ever.
Maybe this is the point, were we agree to disagree.
What do you think? (caution, i wrote think, not belief, just to make a difference)

Im glad you gave it one more shot Big Grin

I can see why you say atheism is the opposite of religion..... however in my view the belief that there is no god, is still a belief in itself.

A few comparisons I make between the two are....

You have (some) religious people who try and convert people to their way of thinking.
Then you have (some) atheists trying to deconvert people to their way of thinking.

You have influential people in the world of religion who religious people follow.
In atheism there is intelligent people who people follow/agree with (dawkins for example)

I called scientists "the new prophets" because religious prophets speak on behalf of god...... scientists speak on behalf of the universe/knowledge.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.