What is the point of being an active atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2012, 01:23 PM
RE: Why is the point of being an active atheist?
I only realised now that I said "Why" instead of "What" in the title. My OCD is raging right now lol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2012, 03:36 PM
(04-09-2012 01:23 PM)Magoo Wrote:  I only realised now that I said "Why" instead of "What" in the title. My OCD is raging right now lol.

Fixed. OCD rage stemmed.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
04-09-2012, 03:54 PM
(04-09-2012 03:36 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(04-09-2012 01:23 PM)Magoo Wrote:  I only realised now that I said "Why" instead of "What" in the title. My OCD is raging right now lol.

Fixed. OCD rage stemmed.

Thank you, you person full of awesome! Smile
04-09-2012, 04:13 PM
(04-09-2012 12:53 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Howeever, it seems debating is pointless. I have heard of any debate where the theist was so set back that they actually admitted they were wrong. Debating with creationists is like worse, it's like talking to a wall.

Quit insulting the walls. I've found arguing with them can be quite productive if you got a couple of marker pens with you. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-09-2012, 12:49 AM
(04-09-2012 12:53 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Howeever, it seems debating is pointless. I have heard of any debate where the theist was so set back that they actually admitted they were wrong. Debating with creationists is like worse, it's like talking to a wall.

Debating is far from pointless if done correctly. Most debates won't end with you doing any damage to the person you are debating, but that's not who they are for. Whether online or offline, the real target of any debate should be onlookers. Someone confident enough in their nonsense to actually debate you chances are won't be changing their mind, but the person sitting quietly by listening in might be. All it takes is one little seed of doubt in their mind, and the whole thing can unravel. One on one debates in private, that's a little more pointless.

As for your original question, I can tell you why I'm at least somewhat active. I've always been fairly vocal about my atheism. About eight years ago a good friend of mine was a baptist I think, and today he's not only an atheist, but a hardcore, active atheist. Who knows how many other people heard me debating wherever, and now are the same way. But even convincing one person has made every mind numbing, frustrating, makes me want to put my head through a wall debate worth it.

Second, and in my mind most important, it shows "closeted" atheists that it's ok to speak their minds. They see other atheists on tv, or the radio, or wherever speaking out, and it might give them the courage to do the same. More importantly, it gives them a sense of community. If that's what's keeping them as part of the church, they can see that they can get that from other atheists.

There are a lot more reasons to get active then to just stay quiet. Some people have their reasons for not, and that's ok too, but the more active people we have the better off we'll all be in the long run.

Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot.

Project 280Z | Failed Atheist | The Friendly Pit Bull
[+] 3 users Like Sapper's post
05-09-2012, 12:59 AM
(04-09-2012 10:11 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  You don't make anyone do anything. You supply them with the tools, and then it is all up to them.
Giving them the tools has created Intelligent Design and Apologists. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
05-09-2012, 01:03 AM
RE: What is the point of being an active atheist?
Reasons I am an active atheist:

1) It's a great way to pass my free time.

2) It's a rich and endless source of intellectual discussion; upon which I thrive.

3) I'm living in a world suffocated by mythological, fantastical, dangerous and all-around irrational thinking. In the midst of this, I'm damn proud to stand up and say "I reject your intellectually-vapid sense of reality".

4) In doing so, I may actually free someone from the very same chains that I myself was once bound by.

5) "All that is needed for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing".

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2012, 03:39 PM
(05-09-2012 12:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(04-09-2012 10:11 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  You don't make anyone do anything. You supply them with the tools, and then it is all up to them.
Giving them the tools has created Intelligent Design and Apologists. Drinking Beverage

That is their conclusion, and there is very little you can do to change that. You don't actually debate with theists only to hear them admit they're wrong, right? Because you'll rarely ever hear that. The point is to educate those who are on the sidelines who might be questioning their faith. Or to educate those who support their faith only on a whim, and don't fully understand it. That is the point. Arguing with people like KC and ideaonscribe only reveals their illogic others, and not them.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
05-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Emotions of spite, betrayal, and revenge.

Imo not worth the energy, TBH.
05-09-2012, 10:46 PM
The point for me, is to lessen the harm done and the money wasted by religions.

An example of money wasted on and by religious crap:

A couple years a go in my city(Winnipeg), city hall decided to give Youth for Christ 50 million fucking dollars to help build a center to help inner city kids. What did they do with that money? They built a huge golden church, I'll take a picture next time I drive by, I'm not kidding, it's fucking gold in color. The only kids that goes there are christian kids, prolly to get the endoctrination strengthened; the inner city kids? They're too smart to buy into the Jebus bull shit, so they don't get to use that facility.

My work, we run a youth center to keep inner city kids off the streets and out of gangs. We organize sports teams and leagues for the kids, makes them stronger, makes them more confident. We got real bad kids who benefited from the programs and now some of them are leaders in the community helping out the younger ones.

Here's my beef, we begged and begged for funding. We didn't get 50 fucking million dollars. We're lucky to get thrown a bone every now and then. We're woefully under funded, some of our guys put in tons of overtime and are still not paid for them, but they come in to work anyways because we're short staffed and stretched real thin. When Youth for Christ asked for funding they got it easily; we asked the mayor about it, that fucker shrugged, "Don't look at me, I'm a jew!"

50 million fucking dollars... If we had that kind of funding, It wouldn't be a stretch to say that we can turn kids from inner city streets into doctors.

On the other hand here are some example of what religions can do to little kids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DllF63qwc...ure=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJwsxmSi5fU
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post