What is the probability of God existing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2010, 05:04 AM

What is the probability of God existing?
This is an interesting question that has been asked by many others, including Dawkins. We can't seem to be able to provide a satisfying proof of God nor can we exhaustively disprove God. What about the probability of existence? How would one even come up with such a number in the first place?
Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2010, 08:50 AM

RE: What is the probability of God existing?
(16-02-2010 05:04 AM)aldredheron Wrote:  This is an interesting question that has been asked by many others, including Dawkins. We can't seem to be able to provide a satisfying proof of God nor can we exhaustively disprove God. What about the probability of existence? How would one even come up with such a number in the first place?

I'm not a mathematician, so I can't outline some formula to establish the probablility. However, seeing how old conventional thinking (e.g. god did it) is usually replaced by scientific discovery, I would say that the probablility is close to (if not exactly) 0%.

The likelihood of a 'personal' god (one that answers your prayers, etc) is at 0%, simply because prayer doesn't work and, quite frankly, is demeaning as a concept.
16-02-2010, 10:48 AM

I believe that the probability of god (God or god? o.o) existing is 0.5 (50%).
There's no way to tell if the Christians's god is real, and perhaps there's another god, that caused the big bang, and then vanished from the universe or something.
The probability of that is 50%, as this god may exists and may not.
This god also doesn't contradict science (I may be mistaken... Correct me if I'm wrong).
16-02-2010, 12:41 PM
(16-02-2010 05:04 AM)aldredheron Wrote:  This is an interesting question that has been asked by many others, including Dawkins. We can't seem to be able to provide a satisfying proof of God nor can we exhaustively disprove God.

Therefore, as the burden of proof is on the theists, we can assume that God does not exist.

Quote:What about the probability of existence? How would one even come up with such a number in the first place?

Well, some people would say that it's fifty-fifty, because there's no evidence either way.
Some would say that it's one hundred percent, because that's the only way the universe could come to exist.
Some would say some other number, which would parallel how certain they were in their belief but not really measure the probability of his existence.
I would say zero percent. For a god to exist, he would have to be a deist god (hands-off, in other words), as all the other kinds contradict the known facts. However, the deist god exists outside the universe, and there is nothing outside the universe. The universe is, by definition, everything that exists. Therefore, something which is not part of the universe does not exist.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
16-02-2010, 02:06 PM

100%---but only in the brain tissue of believers.
[+] 1 user Likes Grassharpper's post
21-02-2010, 02:44 PM
God is such an abstract idea that it's basically impossible to disprove it. Good thing that, as common sense dictates, the burden of proof lies on the accuser.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
21-02-2010, 03:08 PM

(16-02-2010 08:50 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  
(16-02-2010 05:04 AM)aldredheron Wrote:  This is an interesting question that has been asked by many others, including Dawkins. We can't seem to be able to provide a satisfying proof of God nor can we exhaustively disprove God. What about the probability of existence? How would one even come up with such a number in the first place?

I'm not a mathematician, so I can't outline some formula to establish the probablility. However, seeing how old conventional thinking (e.g. god did it) is usually replaced by scientific discovery, I would say that the probablility is close to (if not exactly) 0%.

The likelihood of a 'personal' god (one that answers your prayers, etc) is at 0%, simply because prayer doesn't work and, quite frankly, is demeaning as a concept.

Please tell me what prayer is as described in the Bible and how a prayer that would not get answered the way you want disproves God? If every prayer was answered the way WE want, there would be no death, no sickness, everyone would win the lottery, I would be living with a super model in Hawaii driving a Rolls Royce. My mom died of a brain tumor, I prayed she died, that does not disprove God because my prayer wasn't answered. God is not a cosmic Santa Claus, or a genie in a bottle. Look up prayer as it relates to the Bible before you make a statement that prayer doesn't work.
21-02-2010, 09:57 PM

(21-02-2010 03:08 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  

Please tell me what prayer is as described in the Bible and how a prayer that would not get answered the way you want disproves God? If every prayer was answered the way WE want, there would be no death, no sickness, everyone would win the lottery, I would be living with a super model in Hawaii driving a Rolls Royce. My mom died of a brain tumor, I prayed she died, that does not disprove God because my prayer wasn't answered. God is not a cosmic Santa Claus, or a genie in a bottle. Look up prayer as it relates to the Bible before you make a statement that prayer doesn't work.

"Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete." John 16:24 (NIV)

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us- -whatever we ask--we know that we have what we asked of him." 1 John 5:14-15 (NIV)

And, before you tell me I'm taking these "out of context", tell me YOUR definition of 'anything' and 'whatever we ask'.
21-02-2010, 11:28 PM

(21-02-2010 09:57 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  
(21-02-2010 03:08 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  

"Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete." John 16:24 (NIV)

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us- -whatever we ask--we know that we have what we asked of him." 1 John 5:14-15 (NIV)

And, before you tell me I'm taking these "out of context", tell me YOUR definition of 'anything' and 'whatever we ask'.

First, you didn't look up the purpose of prayer. Second, The part you and others miss is in quoting these verses is "in my name" and "according to his will". I don't know anything about you, male or female, food preferences, color preferences, style of clothes etc. If you told me "go get me some food and buy me an outfit to wear tonight? You are asking me to do something for you that is "in your name" What is the chance of me getting you the food you like and the clothes you would wear if I didn't know you? Your best friend could get both right. He could probably ask for anything "in your name" and get it right. The more you know God through the Bible that you quoted, the more your prayers will be answered. There are prayers that will always be answered, but you wanting a certain job or certain girlfriend, or even some physical healing may not be. Paul the apostle prayed multiple times, it is written, about some physical problem that he had that didn't get healed. Yet atheists always point to the idea of unanswered prayer to prove God doesn't exist yet in the Bible there are many instances of people asking for things with the wrong motive.

"according to His will" is similar. The more you know God's will through the Bible the more you will get "anything you ask".
23-02-2010, 11:55 AM
(21-02-2010 11:28 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Paul the apostle prayed multiple times, it is written, about some physical problem that he had that didn't get healed. Yet atheists always point to the idea of unanswered prayer to prove God doesn't exist yet in the Bible there are many instances of people asking for things with the wrong motive.

That's not how I, and I should hope most other atheists, decide that god doesn't exist. That's part of the reason why I don't believe, but it always goes with lack of evidence, absurdities and contradictions in the bible. I'm sure you've heard the arguments. But prayer alone hasn't led me to my disbelief.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!