What is the probability of God existing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2010, 12:14 AM

RE: What is the probability of God existing?
ZERO
Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2014, 03:33 PM
(16-02-2010 05:04 AM)aldredheron Wrote:  This is an interesting question that has been asked by many others, including Dawkins. We can't seem to be able to provide a satisfying proof of God nor can we exhaustively disprove God. What about the probability of existence? How would one even come up with such a number in the first place?

I believe I have discovered a solution to this, which can also potentially prove that God does not exist.

1. All outcomes of an event can be directed to the involvement of a God
2. P(X = Σn) where Σn is the sum of all outcomes and probabilities in the universe (past, present and future) and success is denoted by God's involvement.
3. Since God's involvement is universal, God is not a unique entity and is not observable
4. Hence God could equally not exist

Therefore P(God exists) = P (God does not exist).

This can then be extrapolated...
5. The two events cancel each other out
God neither exists or doesn't exist.

However, this relies on the assumption that god is involved in every outcome, which relies on the tenants of Christianity (early biblical doctrine was that all things were derived from god, all evil and all good). A local interpretation of the involvement of god in all things can also be given here;
Jim is shot. Outcome 1: Jim survives, God intervened. Outcome 2; Jim survives but with defects, God still intervened. Outcome 3; Jim dies, God intervened. Thus, P(X = Σn) holds true.

Please inform me whether or not this proof is viable. I want it to be heavily scrutinized.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2014, 03:54 PM
A true probability that God exists neither assumes he exists or assumes that he doesn't exist. Yet, you start out by saying:

(14-04-2014 03:33 PM)SurvivingOnNothing Wrote:  1. All outcomes of an event can be directed to the involvement of a God

Then you also admit this:

(14-04-2014 03:33 PM)SurvivingOnNothing Wrote:  However, this relies on the assumption that god is involved in every outcome, which relies on the tenants of Christianity (early biblical doctrine was that all things were derived from god, all evil and all good).

But I see no place that you attempt to correct this and I believe it's a fatal flaw.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
14-04-2014, 03:58 PM
I think that since the concept of god contradicts every valid metaphysical principle that the probability is extremely low.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
14-04-2014, 04:07 PM
(14-04-2014 03:33 PM)SurvivingOnNothing Wrote:  I believe I have discovered a solution to this, which can also potentially prove that God does not exist.

1. All outcomes of an event can be directed to the involvement of a God
2. P(X = Σn) where Σn is the sum of all outcomes and probabilities in the universe (past, present and future) and success is denoted by God's involvement.
3. Since God's involvement is universal, God is not a unique entity and is not observable
4. Hence God could equally not exist

Unobservability implies irrelevance. Here's a couple of slides I stole from an excellent coursera class called Unpredictable? Randomness, Chance and Free Will which really should have been called An Information Theoretic Introduction to Quantum Physics. I found them very illuminating.

[Image: randomness1.png]

[Image: randomness2.png]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-04-2014, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2014 04:42 PM by Mr Woof.)
As defined by Christians: perfectly good, omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient NIL, in any meaningful way as an entity]
Such a definition renders such a Being as impossible to define except by said Being.
As such, only God could define God, not any lesser beings..........A requirement for existence,in keeping with alleged (God)qualities,needs at least a bit of substance to counter our cognitive assessement of what it is to live. Is it enough for "the Source' alone to warrant existence a (temporal term) within itself?
'Omniscient' alone makes for a total moral knowledge of what would be Universally ethical and this appears impossible relevant to any shared consensus.

As for 'creation' we can reduce God to a pre Big Bang vivifying force, but this is not the kind of god the theologians want. Need to look elsewhere!
14-04-2014, 05:46 PM
With each piece of evidence that we obtain about the imaginary being called god, the probability increases.

So far we are at 0%

As soon as that first piece of evidence rolls in, we can update the %

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
14-04-2014, 05:47 PM
(16-02-2010 05:04 AM)aldredheron Wrote:  This is an interesting question that has been asked by many others, including Dawkins. We can't seem to be able to provide a satisfying proof of God nor can we exhaustively disprove God. What about the probability of existence? How would one even come up with such a number in the first place?

*flips a coin*

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
14-04-2014, 05:56 PM

It's the same probability as fairies, leprechauns, and unicorns existing. Somewhere around........ um..............zero.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-04-2014, 06:38 PM
A god that plays psych with child stabbings.
thank god the only proof is a flawed book with zero % evidence.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".