What is the response to this...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2013, 07:58 PM
What is the response to this...?
I posted a picture of a bumper sticker... There's probably no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life. On my fb wall. I was expecting maybe a few comments of course, and knew I would most likely just ignore them. My sister wrote back... "And if there is..."And for some reason it is annoying me to no end. Maybe for it's complete lack of thought and stupidity, idk, it's just under my skin. So much so, that I don't even know how to respond to it without some lengthy paragraph that would go unnoticed because it's not as if she really cares. "And if there is.... I don't know... There is? Do words just come out of your mouth without any thought. THAT is your genius response?" ahh just infuriating.
Even the following comment by a family friend "I've always enjoyed KNOWING god is there ." doesn't bother me because at least it makes some sort of sense in response to the post lol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Casey88's post
20-01-2013, 08:07 PM
RE: What is the response to this...?
"I've always enjoyed KNOWING god is there ."
"But you don't know."

"And if there is..."
"So what if there is? I wouldn't worship a infanticide commanding, genocidal, misogynistic, jealous, spiteful, rapist god such as yours."

[Image: atheistsignature.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes yumeji's post
20-01-2013, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2013 08:15 PM by DLJ.)
A few snappy responses spring to mind (I agree that a long winded rant will do no good)...

"And if there is..."

... I'll let you worry about it. Life's too short.

... and if there isn't?

... then where is she?

... is she just being shy? Why not say "hi" occasionally?

... I'll end up in Hell with all the people I love.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Maybe she's a Pascal's wager type. If so, I always ask why they assume it's the christian god, and wouldn't the best bet involve figuring out which god(s) threaten you with the worst torment for not believing, and choose that one/those ones? If it's just about getting the best prizes and avoiding the worst torments, you should really do your homework to see which gods have what to offer. This usually leads to them ignoring the question or saying they just "feel" their god is the correct one.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2013, 08:20 PM
"And if there is?"

"Then the joke's on me, I suppose." Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
20-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the responses now I'm laughing instead of stressing. @DLJ I think I'll go with... I'll let you worry about it Smile

@yumeji reasons for my atheism summed up in one small sentence. Awesome. Thank you Smile

@amyb that's exactly why my response would be so long. I have no idea which god she is talking about and my answers would obviously differ for each one. And honestly as much as I knew the picture would cause a discussion and comments. I didn't really want to get into a lengthy discussion on the comments section of picture. I thought the picture was mostly light-hearted... Apparently not.
[+] 1 user Likes Casey88's post
20-01-2013, 08:34 PM
In my experience, a lot of the time Christians post Christian stuff on facebook and no one cares. They might agree with each other, but that's about it. On my own f-list, I have yet to see atheists freak out on Christians for posting christian stuff (not suggesting anyone freaked out on you, but they have on me).

But when I post any atheist stuff, all hell breaks loose because every single Christian on my f-list and their friends and family need to put in his/her two cents. I attribute this in part to being told their whole lives that they are right and everyone else is wrong, so they must tell everyone else they are wrong. I dunno. /rambling

Well, I think my point was that the picture was indeed lighthearted for you, but not everyone takes it that way. Many people seem to feel personal rejection if people don't believe in the same fairy tales as they do.
[+] 4 users Like amyb's post
20-01-2013, 08:44 PM
I completely agree amyb. It's not like I go around and hound all my fb friends who post "god is so good. I got a raise at work." or bible verses, or claims that America is a Christian nation. So I just assumed people who agreed would like it or comment and everyone else would move on. But it really is true, because they aren't used tol seeing their beliefs contradicted or someone else saying what their personal non-beliefs are, it's like a slap in the face to them. And my sister and family friend seem to be insulted that I would post that.
20-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Oh and now to top off the day. My grandmothers friend, who I'm sure saw the post, just commented on a picture of my son: "just beautiful. Truly a perfect gift from heaven above."... Lovely.
20-01-2013, 09:01 PM
And if there is ?

...Then it's probably not the one you're worshiping
...then it has the very same powers as the imaginary god I invented over the weekend.
...then why isn't it doing anything ? A god that does nothing and a non-existent god are identical.
...then does that mean that Santa Claus is real too ? Just how many fictional characters do you imagine are watching you sleep ?

...if there is then that must mean that all the people who didn't grow up in this country are worshiping the wrong god. After all god picks countries and football teams to WIN. It's sad that they will spend eternity in hell for not being born in the right country.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The response I got from telling a Ministry leader he has no evidence of God... TheLogicalAthiest 29 791 22-07-2014 01:40 PM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf
  A Christian's response to"An atheist's critique of the Bible Jeremy E Walker 183 3,369 24-06-2014 04:40 PM
Last Post: Anna
  Noah Movie: Rapture Lunatics Response. Raptor Jesus 22 570 28-03-2014 08:52 PM
Last Post: Alex_Leonardo
  My first post: Response to Christian email about Conn. tragedy Arm-Chair Physicist 15 628 03-01-2013 08:29 PM
Last Post: Janus
  Good response to people who say that without god there's no point lightninlives 8 635 16-05-2012 01:48 PM
Last Post: Thomas
  You're taking the bible too literal...your response. Atheist Chiefs fan! 25 1,573 06-04-2012 03:03 AM
Last Post: Logisch
  Writing a response to an editorial in my student newspaper... cjw2211 1 430 05-11-2011 04:17 AM
Last Post: daemonowner